Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Rob

Default Installing Ubuntu to an external drive

Howdy,

If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?

Tks,
Rob

Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Karl Larsen

Rob wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
> Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?
>
> Tks,
> Rob

If you install with a LiveCD from the computer you will have to get
it to load onto the external hard drive. When it gets to grub it will
ask where you want grub to be loaded and you should try to get it to
load on the first hard drive. That way grub will work.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 02 August 2008 18:46, Rob wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
> Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?
>
> Tks,
> Rob

I've no experience of installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu on external USB harddrives,
but one thing (at least on Kubuntu) is that having done the partitioning you
end up with a button to press to install the system. there is no specific
page for where to install Grub before that, but on the same page as the
"press to install" button, is another button named "advanced" IIRC, and
pressing this will take you to another page where you can decide where to put
Grub. Either in the MBR (default), Or you can choose to put it in the /
partition on the external harddrive where you have installed Ubuntu.

Which other distros do you have installed on the machine with the internal
Harddrive? Just Windows perhaps? If so, it may be ok to just press the
install button, post partitioning, and Grub by default will be put in the
MBR.

As I say, I've no experience with booting distros on external harddrives, and
perhaps someone that is using them may post back with more complete info.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Saturday 02 August 2008 18:46, Rob wrote:
>>
>> If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
>> Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?
>
> I've no experience of installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu on external USB
> harddrives, but one thing (at least on Kubuntu) is that having done the
> partitioning you end up with a button to press to install the system.
> there is no specific page for where to install Grub before that, but on
> the same page as the "press to install" button, is another button named
> "advanced" IIRC, and pressing this will take you to another page where you
> can decide where to put Grub. Either in the MBR (default), Or you can
> choose to put it in the / partition on the external harddrive where you
> have installed Ubuntu.

That sounds about right. The problem with the question is there probably
aren't many of us who've done this. I have, but it was last Christmas, and
I gave up the experiment when it turned out the drive was a POS :-( But I
did get it to install to the USB drive (that was pretty simple with the
install CD, but I don't recall whether I used the default Kubuntu CD or the
alternate).

> As I say, I've no experience with booting distros on external harddrives,
> and perhaps someone that is using them may post back with more complete
> info.

It can certainly be done - one hopes that with Hardy it's even simpler than
when I did it, and even if the installer doesn't get it quite right, it's
not a big deal once you have the OS on the drive.
--
derek

Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 AM
elmo

Rob wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
> Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?
>
> Tks,
> Rob

Have you ever done a regular UBUNTU install before?

elmo

Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Rob

Yes, but not to an external drive so I was not concerned where Grub or
Lilo was installed.

Rob

Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 PM
"MaWaLe MaWaLe"

The LiLo or Grub can be installed on the MBR of the external drive

At the end of the installation you'll have the choice to install the Grub or LiLo on the MBR of the installation hard drive or on the MBR of the

Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 09:46 AM, Rob wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> If I install Ubuntu to an external (300gig) drive, where will it install
> Lilo or Grub? Or will it ask?
>
> Tks,
> Rob

Perhaps this will help: