Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Leo Cacciari

Default BIND 9.5.0-P2 for Ubuntu?

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 00.27 +1000, Karl Auer ha scritto:
> Is there an upgrade package anywhere for Ubuntu for BIND 9.5.0-P2?
>
> I'm still running Feisty, which is 9.3.4, and although it's patched and
> reported "safe" by Kaminsky and OARC, I'd rather be running 9.5.0-P2.
>
> Since this is a security upgrade I thought there might be an Ubuntu
> package for it... I see it's in Intrepid, but that's a fair way off.
>
> Regards, K.

This is repeated every once in a while, but it is still needed: no and
there will not be, ever. Once a release is "stable" no packages are
added to it. This includes new release of packages already there.

However, security patches are routinely applied, thus you could look to
the changelog for bind and see if the security updates you are looking
for are already there.

Another option is to add the backport repository to your apt sources
list.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 16:47 +0200, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> > Is there an upgrade package anywhere for Ubuntu for BIND 9.5.0-P2?
> This is repeated every once in a while, but it is still needed: no and
> there will not be, ever. Once a release is "stable" no packages are
> added to it. This includes new release of packages already there.
>
> However, security patches are routinely applied, thus you could look to
> the changelog for bind and see if the security updates you are looking
> for are already there.

Ubuntu has patched Feisty's 9.3.4 to 9.3.4-P1, and as noted it appears
to be "safe" but the current *security* recommendation is to upgrade.

That's why I don't think it's quite the same question "as when will [my
favourite package] be upgraded". This is a security issue.

Does your statement still stand?

Regards, K.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 01.01 +1000, Karl Auer ha scritto:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 16:47 +0200, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> > > Is there an upgrade package anywhere for Ubuntu for BIND 9.5.0-P2?
> > This is repeated every once in a while, but it is still needed: no and
> > there will not be, ever. Once a release is "stable" no packages are
> > added to it. This includes new release of packages already there.
> >
> > However, security patches are routinely applied, thus you could look to
> > the changelog for bind and see if the security updates you are looking
> > for are already there.
>
> Ubuntu has patched Feisty's 9.3.4 to 9.3.4-P1, and as noted it appears
> to be "safe" but the current *security* recommendation is to upgrade.
>
> That's why I don't think it's quite the same question "as when will [my
> favourite package] be upgraded". This is a security issue.
>
> Does your statement still stand?
I repeat, I do not know the bind situation. but security patches are
applied, even if the release number is not changed. (but the -ubuntuXXX
part is) If you want to be sure, look to the changelog
(zless /usr/share/doc/bind9/changelog.Debian.gz to see it) and see if
the security upgrade you are worried about is included.

If it is not, try to enable the backport repositories and see if this
solves the problem.

What I'm trying to explain is that is not the release number that
matters, but if the patches have been applied or not. Upgrading to the
last release of bind is a (simple) way of doing it, but is far from the
only one.

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari