Old 08-02-2008, 12:09 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default firefox and seamonkey don't always use nswrapper

HI,
I just started using ubuntu (after 6 years of Fedora) so I'm still not
familiar with the peculiarities of Ubuntu, so I have many questions. The
first I have applies to the upgrade policy. I have a problem with
nspluginwrapper.
On the (nspluginwrapper)-site it says the version 1.0.0 is available but
Ubuntu only has 0.9.91.6. As my firefox (2.0.1) - and seamonkey (1.1.9)
- both act with certain sites as if the wrapper isn't loaded and I
have read on the site of nspluginwrapper that the new version should
resolve certain problems I wonder what the reason for the ubuntu
packagers is not to upgrade.
I don't want to compile it myself as I'm unfamiliar with the .deb
related package database and I don't know how a selfcompiled program is
- or can be - stored in that database.
Sorry for the rather long question, hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks in advance,
Joep

Old 08-02-2008, 02:22 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/02/2008 07:09 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> [...]
> I don't want to compile it myself as I'm unfamiliar with the .deb
> related package database and I don't know how a selfcompiled program is
> - or can be - stored in that database.

It's not so hard. Look at these pages:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

Note that you don't have to create a .deb for all the software you
install through compiling, but doing so makes uninstallation and
tracking easier.

> Sorry for the rather long question, hope somebody can help me out.
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Mumia W. schreef:
> On 08/02/2008 07:09 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> [...]
>> I don't want to compile it myself as I'm unfamiliar with the .deb
>> related package database and I don't know how a selfcompiled program is
>> - or can be - stored in that database.
>
> It's not so hard. Look at these pages:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware
>
> Note that you don't have to create a .deb for all the software you
> install through compiling, but doing so makes uninstallation and
> tracking easier.
>
>> Sorry for the rather long question, hope somebody can help me out.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Joep
>>

> Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I will look at the information.
One question, does debian (ubuntu) have built-scripts with which you can
build the package from source? RedHat (.rpm) has such a tool but ut
often is problematic as the source packages have their own ideas about
these scripts.
If you use a 64-bit processor you 're familiar with the problems with
Adobe (a company that refuses to recompile it's tools for other
architectures than 32-bit x86).
Joep

Old 08-02-2008, 10:26 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/02/2008 01:03 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> [...]
> One question, does debian (ubuntu) have built-scripts with which you can
> build the package from source?

Yes. In many cases you are given a ./debian/rules script that will build
a debian package; invoke it like so:

fakeroot debian/rules binary

If there is no debian/rules script, consider things like 'checkinstall'
and 'dh-make.' I've never used those successfully, but you're free to try.

> RedHat (.rpm) has such a tool but ut
> often is problematic as the source packages have their own ideas about
> these scripts.
> If you use a 64-bit processor you 're familiar with the problems with
> Adobe (a company that refuses to recompile it's tools for other
> architectures than 32-bit x86).
> Joep

Although my processor seems to have the "lm" feature, I've never needed
nor wanted 64-bit, but to each his own.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 05:09 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> HI,
> I just started using ubuntu (after 6 years of Fedora) so I'm still not
> familiar with the peculiarities of Ubuntu, so I have many questions. The
> first I have applies to the upgrade policy. I have a problem with
> nspluginwrapper.
> On the (nspluginwrapper)-site it says the version 1.0.0 is available but
> Ubuntu only has 0.9.91.6. As my firefox (2.0.1) - and seamonkey (1.1.9)
> - both act with certain sites as if the wrapper isn't loaded and I
> have read on the site of nspluginwrapper that the new version should
> resolve certain problems I wonder what the reason for the ubuntu
> packagers is not to upgrade.
> I don't want to compile it myself as I'm unfamiliar with the .deb
> related package database and I don't know how a selfcompiled program is
> - or can be - stored in that database.
> Sorry for the rather long question, hope somebody can help me out.
> Thanks in advance,
> Joep

From your other post I see that you are using 64bit; can you please try
the flashplugin-nonfree module? It uses nspluginwrapper to install flash
on your system. To install; from a terminal:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Or use System|Administration|Synaptics Package Manager and search for
flash.

Regarding your SeaMonkey, you should upgrade to 1.1.11 as it resolves
several security issues that were in 1.1.9. The Ubuntu 1.1.9 Hardy
version has been *not* updated to include the 1.1.11 security patches:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey

Ubuntu's 1.1.9 only fixes up to MFSA 2008-19 and *does not* fix:
<http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/seamonkey11.html#seamonkey1.1.11>
Fixed in SeaMonkey 1.1.11
MFSA 2008-34 Remote code execution by overflowing CSS reference counter
Fixed in SeaMonkey 1.1.10
MFSA 2008-33 Crash and remote code execution in block reflow
MFSA 2008-32 Remote site run as local file via Windows URL shortcut
MFSA 2008-31 Peer-trusted certs can use alt names to spoof
MFSA 2008-30 File location URL in directory listings not escaped properly
MFSA 2008-29 Faulty .properties file results in uninitialized memory
being used
MFSA 2008-28 Arbitrary socket connections with Java LiveConnect on Mac OS X
MFSA 2008-27 Arbitrary file upload via originalTarget and DOM Range
MFSA 2008-26 Buffer length checks in MIME processing
MFSA 2008-25 Arbitrary code execution in
mozIJSSubScriptLoader.loadSubScript()
MFSA 2008-24 Chrome script loading from fastload file
MFSA 2008-23 Signed JAR tampering
MFSA 2008-22 XSS through JavaScript same-origin violation
MFSA 2008-21 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.1.15)
MFSA 2008-20 Crash in JavaScript garbage collector

I highly recommend that if you run SM, you download and install it
directly from Mozilla:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp schreef:
> [...]
> MFSA 2008-31 Peer-trusted certs can use alt names to spoof
> MFSA 2008-30 File location URL in directory listings not escaped properly
> MFSA 2008-29 Faulty .properties file results in uninitialized memory
> being used
> MFSA 2008-28 Arbitrary socket connections with Java LiveConnect on Mac OS X
> MFSA 2008-27 Arbitrary file upload via originalTarget and DOM Range
> MFSA 2008-26 Buffer length checks in MIME processing
> MFSA 2008-25 Arbitrary code execution in
> mozIJSSubScriptLoader.loadSubScript()
> MFSA 2008-24 Chrome script loading from fastload file
> MFSA 2008-23 Signed JAR tampering
> MFSA 2008-22 XSS through JavaScript same-origin violation
> MFSA 2008-21 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.1.15)
> MFSA 2008-20 Crash in JavaScript garbage collector
>
> I highly recommend that if you run SM, you download and install it

Thanks for the information!
I thought already so. However, when I try to download the 1.11 version
although I can download it, it won't install which is understandable as
on the site I only see a 32-bit version for Linux (and Windows). Wher do
I get the 64-bit version?
Joep

Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 04:22 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> NoOp schreef:

>> I highly recommend that if you run SM, you download and install it
>> directly from Mozilla:
>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>>

> Thanks for the information!
> I thought already so. However, when I try to download the 1.11 version
> although I can download it, it won't install which is understandable as
> on the site I only see a 32-bit version for Linux (and Windows). Wher do
> I get the 64-bit version?
> Joep

The Ubuntu version is 32bit as well. What issues are you having
installing 1.1.11? See:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.1.11/installation
Given that you had the Ubuntu version installed, you would have had the
32bit lib's installed also. However you can install manually:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs*
sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6

If you'd prefer a .deb package you can use Ubuntuzilla:
http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Note: when you open the SM installer directly, by default it will
attempt to install in /usr/local/seamnkey and to do that you would need
to use:
sudo ./seamonkey-installer
that's not a good thing as it populates the ./mozilla folder with a root
owned mozver.dat file - and it starting with a new .mozilla directory
the installation with create .mozilla owned by root.
So when it asks where SM should be installed, change the location to
/home/<user>/seamonkey. Your user profiles will still use
/home/<user>/.mozilla.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:06 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp schreef:
> On 08/02/2008 04:22 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> NoOp schreef:
>
>>> I highly recommend that if you run SM, you download and install it
>>> directly from Mozilla:
>>> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>>>

>> Thanks for the information!
>> I thought already so. However, when I try to download the 1.11 version
>> although I can download it, it won't install which is understandable as
>> on the site I only see a 32-bit version for Linux (and Windows). Wher do
>> I get the 64-bit version?
>> Joep
>>

> The Ubuntu version is 32bit as well. What issues are you having
> installing 1.1.11? See:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey1.1.11/installation
> Given that you had the Ubuntu version installed, you would have had the
> 32bit lib's installed also. However you can install manually:
>
> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs*
> sudo apt-get install lib32asound2 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6
>
> If you'd prefer a .deb package you can use Ubuntuzilla:
> http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note: when you open the SM installer directly, by default it will
> attempt to install in /usr/local/seamnkey and to do that you would need
> to use:
> sudo ./seamonkey-installer
> that's not a good thing as it populates the ./mozilla folder with a root
> owned mozver.dat file - and it starting with a new .mozilla directory
> the installation with create .mozilla owned by root.
> So when it asks where SM should be installed, change the location to
> /home/<user>/seamonkey. Your user profiles will still use
> /home/<user>/.mozilla.

Ah! I think that will do the trick! I suspect that's the reason why the
1.11 version will not run as it is installed in the wrong directory. The
running version is still 1.1.9
As it's now 2:02 AM I will go to sleep and solve hopefully the problem
tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help.
I'll try tomorrow and will post the results.
Joep

Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 AM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 05:06 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Ah! I think that will do the trick! I suspect that's the reason why the
> 1.11 version will not run as it is installed in the wrong directory. The
> running version is still 1.1.9
> As it's now 2:02 AM I will go to sleep and solve hopefully the problem
> tomorrow.
> Thanks again for the help.
> I'll try tomorrow and will post the results.
> Joep

No worries... let me know if you need any added help (on or off list).

Gary

Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 AM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 05:34 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/02/2008 05:06 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> Ah! I think that will do the trick! I suspect that's the reason why the
>> 1.11 version will not run as it is installed in the wrong directory. The
>> running version is still 1.1.9
>> As it's now 2:02 AM I will go to sleep and solve hopefully the problem
>> tomorrow.
>> Thanks again for the help.
>> I'll try tomorrow and will post the results.
>> Joep
>>

> No worries... let me know if you need any added help (on or off list).
>
> Gary

Sorry, forgot to add: do *not* use 'sudo' to install, just use
./seamonkey-installer

$ ./seamonkey-installer