Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 AM
John

Default Connecting laptop to sever

Hi.

I have recently bought a new laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 installed.

Whilst it sees the internet through me (SuSE 10.0) server, and reads the
DNS files thereon, it will not display my intranet pages or allow me to
mount any of the server's drives.

What do I need to do to get my laptop talking with, rather than just
through, my server?

Ultimately, I want to set up email and a VPN between the two computers
but if they don't talk to eachother in the same room, I'm not going to
get very far!

TIA

John

Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Nils Kassube

John wrote:
> I have recently bought a new laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 installed.
>
> Whilst it sees the internet through me (SuSE 10.0) server, and reads
> the DNS files thereon, it will not display my intranet pages or allow
> me to mount any of the server's drives.

Can you clarify what you mean with "intranet pages"? Is there a http
server running on your SUSE machine? If it is, is it configured to listen
to the IP address of your laptop?

For mounting your server's drives (I suppose that means directories), you
would need a NFS server running on your SUSE machine which is configured
to export the directories you want to see from your laptop and it should
listen to your laptop's IP address. On your laptop you need at least the
package "nfs-common" installed. You can also make your directories
available through SAMBA, but I can't help you with that (never used it
myself).

Nils

Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
"Kim Briggs"

On 8/2/08, John <John@dmj-consultancy.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have recently bought a new laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 installed.
>
> Whilst it sees the internet through me (SuSE 10.0) server, and reads the
> DNS files thereon, it will not display my intranet pages or allow me to
> mount any of the server's drives.
>
> What do I need to do to get my laptop talking with, rather than just
> through, my server?
>
> Ultimately, I want to set up email and a VPN between the two computers
> but if they don't talk to eachother in the same room, I'm not going to
> get very far!
>
> TIA
>
> John

Hi John,

First reply I saw told you about nfs-common. It SUSE, there is Yast
to configure the shares graphically. If you want to directly see what
is going on, edit the /etc/exports file:

http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-notes/linux-notes/nfs-setup-guide.file

Suse also has graphics for Samba, but last time I used it, it took
forever. Here is how to edit the samba config file:

http://kimbriggs.com/computers/computer-notes/linux-notes/samba-setup-ubuntu704-guide.file

As far as the intranet "web" pages, if you are trying to call your
server by its name, you need to have a line in /etc/hosts relating the
server's IP address to the name. Ohterwise, just use the IP and you
should see it if apache is running. I don't know how to help you if
your server's IP address changes with time. I suggest you use a fixed
IP for your server.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 AM
John

Kim Briggs wrote:
> <snip>
Hi Nils & Kim, Thanks for the suggestions.

NFS is configured on the SuSE server and proven to be working. I am not
using Samba. The server has a fixed IP address and serves as my DHCP
host from which the new laptop does receive an IP address.

When I say 'proven', I have an old laptop, configured by a former
colleague, running a version of Ubuntu 6. Looking at the hosts file, it
does not reference the server and, as far as I can see, the setup is
pretty much the same as the new machine. The old machine mounts the
server's exported drives and reads the intranet pages successfully. I've
even tried copying the relevant portion of fstab and the script I use to
mount the drives from the old machine to the new one. It still does not
work on the new one! By intranet, I mean the CUPS administration pages
and various other local pages which are not accessible via any of my
external URLs and, yes, the URLs are names not IP addresses on both
machines. The external URLs the new machine reads with no problem! (Yes,
my server is running Apache internet server)

I can not find reference to nfs-common on the U6 machine but it is
installed on the U8 one.

It is unfortunate that I am no longer in touch with the former colleague!

Any further thoughts on files I should look at on the U8 machine, please?

Thanks in advance

John

Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Nils Kassube

John wrote:
> NFS is configured on the SuSE server and proven to be working. I am not
> using Samba. The server has a fixed IP address and serves as my DHCP
> host from which the new laptop does receive an IP address.

What is the error message if you use this command

sudo mount -t nfs server.lan:/some/exported/path /mnt

where you replace the server name and path appropriately?

> I can not find reference to nfs-common on the U6 machine but it is
> installed on the U8 one.

I think nfs-common was not needed with Ubuntu 6.06 but as it is installed
on your 8.04 machine, you should be able to mount nfs shares.

And sorry, I can't help you with the CUPS problem.

Nils

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM
John

Nils Kassube wrote:
> What is the error message if you use this command

sudo mount -t nfs server.lan:/some/exported/path /mnt

Normally when I run my connection script, it just hangs, even if I try
terminal mode. What I did for this test was to open a terminal window
and paste one of the commands direct from the script under sudo. I'm
pleased to say it worked!

This now leads to another question - how do I ensure that a script run
from my user desktop only runs as root? Then how do I ensure that my
mounted files are writeable?

<snip>
> And sorry, I can't help you with the CUPS problem.

Well, one step at a time!!

Many Thanks, Nils!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM, John <John@dmj-consultancy.co.uk> wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> <snip>
>> the CUPS problem.
> Well, one step at a time!!

Please start a new thread for the CUPS issue when you are ready to
tackle that. Probably best to keep them as two discussions.

And start it with what happens when try to open http://servername:631
from the client :-)

Brian

Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
John

Brian McKee wrote:

<snip>

Good idea, Brian, even though they stated off as the same basic problem!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM
"Kim Briggs"

On 8/3/08, John <John@dmj-consultancy.co.uk> wrote:
> Kim Briggs wrote:
> > <snip>
> Hi Nils & Kim, Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> NFS is configured on the SuSE server and proven to be working.

Yes, proven to be working for the laptop IP perhaps??? When I set up
NFS on my server, I give whatever permissions I want on a *per-IP*
basis. It makes complete sense that one machine can connect and one
machine cannot if that is the way it is set up. It just doesn't
"work" for all machines.

Post the content of your server's /etc/exports file for the /etc
experts to look at (I'm no expert..)

good luck,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Nils Kassube

John wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > What is the error message if you use this command
>
> sudo mount -t nfs server.lan:/some/exported/path /mnt
>
> Normally when I run my connection script, it just hangs, even if I try
> terminal mode. What I did for this test was to open a terminal window
> and paste one of the commands direct from the script under sudo. I'm
> pleased to say it worked!

Now that's at least a good start

> This now leads to another question - how do I ensure that a script run
> from my user desktop only runs as root?

In your script you could check if $UID is 0. Something like

if [ "$UID" != "0" ]; then
echo "Run $0 as root."
exit 1
fi

near the start of your script.

> Then how do I ensure that my mounted files are writeable?

There are several conditions which all must match:
- The files must be writeable on the server.
- The files must be exported rw.
- The UID / GID of the writing process must match the file permissions
(after UID / GID mapping).
- The share must be mounted rw.
- Did I miss anything?

I don't know about your particular problem, but usually my problem is the
different UID for a particular user on the server and client machines.
Ubuntu starts with UID 1000 for the first user, IIRC SUSE starts with
500.

Probably you already read the man pages for exports and mount. But did you
also read these pages? Maybe there you find something useful:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto>

Nils