Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

Default How to upgrade KDE 4.0 apps to KDE 4.1 on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and have various KDE 4.0 apps installed like
Kate, Konsole, Dolphin along with KDE libs 4.0, I want to upgrade them
to KDE 4.1 versions.

Please remember that I do not want to install whole KDE 4.1 desktop
but just want to upgrade apps what I already have.

Is there a way I can do it or do I have to wait for Ubuntu 8.10?

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:06 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and have various KDE 4.0 apps installed like
> Kate, Konsole, Dolphin along with KDE libs 4.0, I want to upgrade them
> to KDE 4.1 versions.
>
> Please remember that I do not want to install whole KDE 4.1 desktop
> but just want to upgrade apps what I already have.

Are you sure that you even _can_ run 4.1 apps on the 4.0 platform? AFAIK
KDE 4 is under very heavy development, so I'd be surprised if they
provided ABI stability between 4.0 and 4.1 -- the libs have probably
changed a lot.

Maybe this helps, but it is mainly about installing the whole KDE 4.1:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

However, they give a repo, so maybe you can download the debs you are
interested manually, and install them on their own.

I do not use Kubuntu, so take that with a grain of salt.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 AM
"Ashish Yadav"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
Thanks for reply

> Are you sure that you even _can_ run 4.1 apps on the 4.0 platform? AFAIK
> KDE 4 is under very heavy development, so I'd be surprised if they
> provided ABI stability between 4.0 and 4.1 -- the libs have probably
> changed a lot.

If I upgrade KDE libs to 4.1 won't the KDE 4.1 apps will work?

> Maybe this helps, but it is mainly about installing the whole KDE 4.1:
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

As I said, I am not interested in installing complete KDE 4.1 desktop.

Downloding separately is second last resort ( last is compiling
myself). I am not lazy, but I want to keep away of this madness of
compiling everything.

I am interested in adding a repository which allows complete KDE 4.0
stuff to move over to KDE 4.1. Similar to as I got with Ubuntu 8.04,
from where I installed KDE 4.0 applications.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 17:02 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> If I upgrade KDE libs to 4.1 won't the KDE 4.1 apps will work?

I guess, but in that case don't you basically end up running 4.1,
anyway?

> As I said, I am not interested in installing complete KDE 4.1 desktop.
<snip>
> I am interested in adding a repository which allows complete KDE 4.0
> stuff to move over to KDE 4.1. Similar to as I got with Ubuntu 8.04,
> from where I installed KDE 4.0 applications.

Hmmm, let me ask another way: what exactly is it that you don't want to
install? I'm asking because you seem to be ok with upgrading the
libraries to 4.1, you want to upgrade applications from 4.0 to 4.1, so I
wonder what exactly is left? Stuff like dolphin and that fancy new
desktop displayer thingy?

If so, can't you just uninstall them or simply not run them?

It would also help to understand why you want to do it (whatever "it"
is)? I don't use KDE but by all accounts I have read 4.1 is vastly
improved over 4.0, which earlier had received harsh criticism for
sticking a *.0 version number on something that was purely intended as a
platform for developers to actually start working on the user-facing
parts.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:06 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and have various KDE 4.0 apps installed like
> Kate, Konsole, Dolphin along with KDE libs 4.0, I want to upgrade them
> to KDE 4.1 versions.
>
> Please remember that I do not want to install whole KDE 4.1 desktop
> but just want to upgrade apps what I already have.

Upon rereading, I would want to offer this in addition to the other mail
I just sent [1]

If you really just want to upgrade kate, konsole, dolphin, and some
others, maybe it would help to uninstall the meta-package
"kubuntu-desktop" first. When this was upgraded to a 4.1 version it
would certainly upgrade _everything_ to 4.1.

After removing kubuntu-desktop, add the new ppa repo, then "sudo
aptitude update" and "aptitude --simulate full-upgrade". The --simulate
option just prints what would happen, but does nothing. If you are happy
with the results, you can run the same command with sudo and without
--simulate.

What I would expect (or hope) to happen is that everything that is
installed gets upgraded and pulls in any needed dependencies. The fact
that kubuntu-desktop is not upgraded will prevent anything from
upgrading that is not already installed or depended on.

Whether that in fact happens remains to be seen. However, I still am
puzzled by why you would want to do this.

Thanks in advance for clarification

[1] Though it still would be nice if you could clear up the areas were I
don't understand your goal in that other mail.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

I guess my way of doing things are vary different from what people usually do.

For first I have Ubuntu 8.04 and use Gnome as my Desktop Environment.
Though as I do like some applications like Kate, Konsole and (now)
Dolphin, I got them installed based on KDE 4.0.

Now I don't have a option to login and use KDE as my DE, however I can
still use KDE applications while being in Gnome desktop ( I don't care
about consistency in looks, what matters to me is usability according
to my preferences).

Now I don't want to install everything as I have set aside rather
conservative amount of disk space for Ubuntu.

To answer the question, of whether installing KDE 4.1 libs will
effectively means installing KDE 4.1 is that that there is difference
between installing KDE 4 as a desktop environment and installing KDE 4
applications individually, which as I said above is not installing
everything.

So I just wanted to update Kate, Konsole, Dolphin and KDE libs into
their respective KDE 4.1 versions.

What I had done in time in between is to add "deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main" in
the list of software sources though "Software Sources", and just run
"Update Manager". Upon running "Update Manager" it offered me to
upgrade KDE libs, Kate, Konsole and Dolphin along with their
dependencies to KDE 4.1 versions. Though it warned me that some
packages are not autheticated, which I guess is because of them not
being in list of "Trusted software providers" under "Authentication"
tab in "Software Sources".

For now I ignored it ( GOD save me :-) ) and now I have Kate, Konsole,
Dolphin based on and along with KDE 4.1 libs. As of now they all are
working fine.

However is there a way get the key files for the Kubuntu repositories?
I searched at Kubuntu.org and Google but hadn't found a way.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 19:30 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> I guess my way of doing things are vary different from what people usually do.
>
> For first I have Ubuntu 8.04 and use Gnome as my Desktop Environment.
> Though as I do like some applications like Kate, Konsole and (now)
> Dolphin, I got them installed based on KDE 4.0.
>
> Now I don't have a option to login and use KDE as my DE, however I can
> still use KDE applications while being in Gnome desktop ( I don't care
> about consistency in looks, what matters to me is usability according
> to my preferences).

Ok, I got it

> Now I don't want to install everything as I have set aside rather
> conservative amount of disk space for Ubuntu.

Ok

> To answer the question, of whether installing KDE 4.1 libs will
> effectively means installing KDE 4.1 is that that there is difference
> between installing KDE 4 as a desktop environment and installing KDE 4
> applications individually, which as I said above is not installing
> everything.

Ok, that depends on how KDE is package I guess, and I don't know much
about that.

> So I just wanted to update Kate, Konsole, Dolphin and KDE libs into
> their respective KDE 4.1 versions.
>
> What I had done in time in between is to add "deb
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main" in
> the list of software sources though "Software Sources", and just run
> "Update Manager". Upon running "Update Manager" it offered me to
> upgrade KDE libs, Kate, Konsole and Dolphin along with their
> dependencies to KDE 4.1 versions.

Ok. I should of course have realized in my reply that you didn't have
kubuntu-desktop installed in the first place, otherwise you would
already have installed _everything_.

So, a simple upgrade did what it was supposed to. Nice to know.

> Though it warned me that some
> packages are not autheticated, which I guess is because of them not
> being in list of "Trusted software providers" under "Authentication"
> tab in "Software Sources".

Certainly. I guess ppa repos might have separate keys? Probably worth to
check.

> For now I ignored it ( GOD save me :-) ) and now I have Kate, Konsole,
> Dolphin based on and along with KDE 4.1 libs. As of now they all are
> working fine.
> However is there a way get the key files for the Kubuntu repositories?
> I searched at Kubuntu.org and Google but hadn't found a way.

I have no idea.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:28 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
>> However is there a way get the key files for the Kubuntu repositories?
>> I searched at Kubuntu.org and Google but hadn't found a way.
>
> I have no idea.

Anyone else does?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> If you really just want to upgrade kate, konsole, dolphin, and some
> others, maybe it would help to uninstall the meta-package

I'm not so sure I'd recommend doing that, from personal experience. I
have kubuntu-desktop installed on top of a Ubuntu HH install, of
course. I also have the kde4 launchpad repository stuff installed, and
do most of my desktop experience with the kde4.1 latest stuff. But
there may be pitfalls, and there seem to be. Dolphin, for instance,
would segfault when trying to play any avi or mpeg file. Sure there
are alternatives to doing that. Konqueror in kde4 has got an improved
look and feel, but it has trouble with any kde bookmarks (in konqueror
kde3) so I keep konqueror/kde3 available for those times I need to
look at the bookmarks I've already had for quite a while, and don't
recall off the top of my head the exact urls for them.

I also have amarok-neon, and that's not officially part of ubuntu, I
realize, but it helps to keep the original amarok around for stuff
that the new version doesn't quite handle right yet.

And there are components in kde3 that haven't yet been ported over to
the kde4.1 platform, so that's another reason to keep both around.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> Certainly. I guess ppa repos might have separate keys? Probably worth to
> check.

I suppose they might, but I always answer Yes to the question about
untrusted sources, and haven't bothered to install their key.

I did a quick google and didn't find anything. ppa.launchpad.net seems
to be just a hosting site for a variety of projects, and many are
ubuntu-related. As such, it might not even have a repository key.

If it does, it certainly would need to be added separately with
apt-key since it is a separate repository from the usual
main/restricted/multiverse stuff.