Old 08-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Avi Schwartz

Default Is there a way to capture kernel panic info?

From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.

Avi

Old 08-02-2008, 03:07 AM
NoOp

On 08/01/2008 07:43 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.
>
> Avi

I don't know the actual answer, but these might help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace

Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Avi Schwartz
<ubuntu-users352@cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
> From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto
only use another linux box rather than a genuine serial console. Then
it's just copy and paste etc.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Karl Larsen

Avi Schwartz wrote:
> >From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.
>
> Avi

It sounds like a change in your hardware when you turn off the
laptop. Since it turns back on when you want it, this is not a problem :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 05:57 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Since it turns back on when you want it, this is not a problem :-)

Since when is a kernel crash on hibernation not a problem?

Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:05 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> on hibernation

sorry, when sending to sleep.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Avi Schwartz wrote:
>> >From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
>> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
>> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
>> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.

> It sounds like a change in your hardware when you turn off the
> laptop. Since it turns back on when you want it, this is not a problem :-)

Duh!!!! Of course it's a problem. Every time you get a kernel panic
there's a risk of corruption on your filesystems, if anything has been left
uncommitted. It's probably _unlikely_ but it's certainly a risk.
--
derek

Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Avi Schwartz

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/01/2008 07:43 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>
>> From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
>> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
>> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
>> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.
>>
>> Avi
>>

> I don't know the actual answer, but these might help:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace

Thanks, this was very helpful. Following the instructions in these
links I managed to use Alt-SySRq-1 followed by Alt-SySRq-t to dump the
information into kern.log. Using this information I reported this bug.

Avi

Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Avi Schwartz

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Avi Schwartz
> <ubuntu-users352@cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
>> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
>> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
>> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.
>>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto
> only use another linux box rather than a genuine serial console. Then
> it's just copy and paste etc.

Thanks Brian,

I managed to get the information I needed by using SySRq and I reported
the bug. I will investigate the serial console though since it looks to
me like it is the preferred way to do it.

Avi

Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 AM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 07:13 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 08/01/2008 07:43 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>>
>>> From time to time, while trying to send my laptop to sleep, I get a
>>> kernel panic which dumps a lot of information on the screen. Is there a
>>> way to save this information into a file? I would like to report this
>>> issue but I have no way to capture the crash text.
>>>
>>> Avi
>>>

>> I don't know the actual answer, but these might help:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProcedures
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace
>>

> Thanks, this was very helpful. Following the instructions in these
> links I managed to use Alt-SySRq-1 followed by Alt-SySRq-t to dump the
> information into kern.log. Using this information I reported this bug.
>
> Avi

Cool! Glad they helped and very glad that you managed to report the bug.