Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 PM
steve

Default playing XviD files

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com
> <mailtoegngary@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com
> <mailto:k5di@zianet.com>> wrote:
>
> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
> >
> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex
> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before
> VLC can work.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

> I've tried to find a download without success. Let me know if you
> find one. No success using synaptic- there seems to be something
> there but you can't install it, I get an error message when I try.
>
> Gary
>

> I found xvid.org <http://xvid.org>. The debian page makes no sense to
> me, the SUSE makes more sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the
> proper thing to do.

vlc will play anything (that ive encountered anyway) if you have codecs
from medibuntu installed.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>> >
>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

Hi Gary,

Did you try installing the 'libxvidcore4' package?

Chris

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
David Vincent

Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 PM
"POWERS, ZACK"

>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>> >
>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
>> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the
codex
>> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC
can
>> work.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --
>>

> I've tried to find a download without success. Let me know if you
find
> one. No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there
but you
> can't install it, I get an error message when I try.
>
> Gary
>

>I found xvid.org. The debian page makes no sense to me, the SUSE
makes more
>sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the proper thing to do.

Hi,
Media file compressed with the XviD codecs follow the MPEG4 standard.
They can be played back using the libvxvidcore4 package. However it is
better to intall this package with the gstreamer codecs library. I am
not exactly sure which gstreamer package contains XviD library as a
dependency but I think it is the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
"POWERS, ZACK"

>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>> >
>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
>> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the
codex
>> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC
can
>> work.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> Linux User
>> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
>> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --
>>

> I've tried to find a download without success. Let me know if you
find
> one. No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there
but you
> can't install it, I get an error message when I try.
>
> Gary
>

>I found xvid.org. The debian page makes no sense to me, the SUSE
makes more
>sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the proper thing to do.

>Hi,
>Media file compressed with the XviD codecs follow the MPEG4 standard.
They can be played back using the libvxvidcore4 package. However it is
better >to intall this package with the gstreamer codecs library. I am
not exactly sure which gstreamer package contains XviD library as a
dependency but I >think it is the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package.

I'm sorry but the actual package is the
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse package. I apologize for the
confusion. Be aware depending on you local laws, installing this
package may be illegal.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

Hi Gary,

Did you try installing the 'libxvidcore4' package?

Chris

Yes, it is installed.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"