Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

Default playing XviD files

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

>> > Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

>> > I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

Hi Gary,

Did you try installing the 'libxvidcore4' package?

Chris

Chris-
* that package is installed.

Gary

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Mark Williams <mark.666@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

andy baxter wrote:

> James Takac wrote:

>> Hi Andy

>> On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:

>>> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

>> If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no

>> probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages

>> which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11

>> video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed

>> the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently

>> missing

>> James

> I think you're mixing me up with the original poster. I can play xvid

> and divx fine using gxine. I'm in this thread trying to help the OP, not

> asking for help myself.

> andy

If you take replies in-thread as 'replies to thread' rather than

'replies to you personally' it starts to make more sense

I assume the OP is watching..

Mark

The OP is watching- just got up.* It's gotten rather confusing to me.

Gary

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:

> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no

probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages

which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11

video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed

the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently

missing

James

James- I have installed ubuntu restricted extras.**

Gary the OP

Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:

> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no

probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages

which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11

video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed

the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently

missing

James

James- I have installed ubuntu restricted extras.**

Gary the OP

So, I guess no one has any other ideas.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
"Mark Haney"

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>>
>> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex
> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC can work.
>
> Karl

Karl, Xvid is /not/ a new mp3 type of compression, it's a video codec
that is (maybe) reverse engineered from DIVX. (Xvid is DVIX backwards
for the ones not paying attention. It's a pretty common codec and can
be played with virtually any media player with th right codecs
installed. I don't know where you picked that up on google, but as my
mother always said 'don't believe everything you read.'

I don't know what Ubuntu package has the XVID codec so I can't help you
there, but I view Xvid media in KDE all the time with Kmplayer.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Karl Larsen

Mark Haney wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>>>
>>> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
>> software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex
>> should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC can work.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Karl, Xvid is /not/ a new mp3 type of compression, it's a video codec
> that is (maybe) reverse engineered from DIVX. (Xvid is DVIX backwards
> for the ones not paying attention. It's a pretty common codec and can
> be played with virtually any media player with th right codecs
> installed. I don't know where you picked that up on google, but as my
> mother always said 'don't believe everything you read.'
>
> I don't know what Ubuntu package has the XVID codec so I can't help you
> there, but I view Xvid media in KDE all the time with Kmplayer.

Well Xvid sounds like X video but Divx is scarry

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I guess no one has any other ideas.

Well, it pretty much boils down to 'you must be missing something'
since we all can do it.

Some random ideas

Have you tried more than one file? i.e. have you got a bad file?

Have you gone thru https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats ?
Have you gone thru http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 ?

Brian

Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I guess no one has any other ideas.

Well, it pretty much boils down to 'you must be missing something'

since we all can do it.

Some random ideas

Have you tried more than one file? *i.e. have you got a bad file?

Have you gone thru https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats ?

Have you gone thru http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 ?

Brian

*

Brian-

I have played such files in the past, so maybe there is something wrong with this one.* I could try re-downloading it.* I'll look at those forums.* Apparently no one else has received the same error message.* I was wondering if the download site added a restriction to the file.* Thanks*

Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I guess no one has any other ideas.

Well, it pretty much boils down to 'you must be missing something'

since we all can do it.

Some random ideas

Have you tried more than one file? *i.e. have you got a bad file?

Have you gone thru https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats ?

Have you gone thru http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 ?

Brian

I have gone thru the two helps you referenced.

I finally got a download that worked. *So I think it was the file that was

the problem and not a lack of codes or anything else related to my setup.

Thanks everyone who helped!

Gary