Old 08-02-2008, 06:40 AM
andy baxter

Default playing XviD files

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Andy
>

> On Saturday 02 August 2008 15:30:28 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Mark Williams wrote:
>>
>> You may have mixed me up with the OP? But here goes...
>>
>> andy@ubuntu:~$ file HDViD.Eng.XviD
>> HDViD.Eng.XviD: ERROR: cannot open `HDViD.Eng.XviD' (No such file or
>> directory)
>>
>> If I run 'file' on the actual file I have, it gives this:
>>
>> andy@ubuntu:/media/ANDYS-DRIVE/videos$ file Fargo tt0116282 [Eng]
>> 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX
>> Fargo tt0116282 [Eng] 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX: RIFF (little-endian)
>> data, AVI, 720 x 540, 29.97 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3
>> (stereo, 44100 Hz)
>>

>> andy
>>

> It seems the program you're trying to open the file with can't find the file
> going by the error you get. Which program are you using and how are you
> trying to open the file?
>
> James

It's OK, I know what the problem is. The previous poster (mark)
suggested that I try 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD'. But there isn't such a file
on my system - it was the op (gary) who was talking about that file (or
file extension probably), not me, and I think mark mixed us up in his
reply. I expected that command to return an error, but tried the command
anyway and posted the result so mark could see it for himself.

Thanks anyway to mark for pointing out that the 'file' command is useful
in finding out whether a file is really DivX or XviD, which I hadn't
thought of.

andy

Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 AM
James Takac

Hi Andy

On Saturday 02 August 2008 16:40:53 andy baxter wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Andy
> >
> > On Saturday 02 August 2008 15:30:28 andy baxter wrote:
> >> Mark Williams wrote:
> >>
> >> You may have mixed me up with the OP? But here goes...
> >>
> >> andy@ubuntu:~$ file HDViD.Eng.XviD
> >> HDViD.Eng.XviD: ERROR: cannot open `HDViD.Eng.XviD' (No such file or
> >> directory)
> >>
> >> If I run 'file' on the actual file I have, it gives this:
> >>
> >> andy@ubuntu:/media/ANDYS-DRIVE/videos$ file Fargo tt0116282 [Eng]
> >> 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX
> >> Fargo tt0116282 [Eng] 1996 [NoPassWord] DVD .DivX: RIFF (little-endian)
> >> data, AVI, 720 x 540, 29.97 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3
> >> (stereo, 44100 Hz)
> >>

> >> andy
> >
> > It seems the program you're trying to open the file with can't find the
> > file going by the error you get. Which program are you using and how are
> > you trying to open the file?
> >
> > James
>
> It's OK, I know what the problem is. The previous poster (mark)
> suggested that I try 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD'. But there isn't such a file
> on my system - it was the op (gary) who was talking about that file (or
> file extension probably), not me, and I think mark mixed us up in his
> reply. I expected that command to return an error, but tried the command
> anyway and posted the result so mark could see it for himself.
>
> Thanks anyway to mark for pointing out that the 'file' command is useful
> in finding out whether a file is really DivX or XviD, which I hadn't
> thought of.
>
> andy

If you go into the synaptic package manager and search for xvid which packages
show as installed?

James

Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
andy baxter

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> On Saturday 02 August 2008 16:40:53 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> James Takac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andy

>>> It seems the program you're trying to open the file with can't find the
>>> file going by the error you get. Which program are you using and how are
>>> you trying to open the file?
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>> It's OK, I know what the problem is. The previous poster (mark)
>> suggested that I try 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD'. But there isn't such a file
>> on my system - it was the op (gary) who was talking about that file (or
>> file extension probably), not me, and I think mark mixed us up in his
>> reply. I expected that command to return an error, but tried the command
>> anyway and posted the result so mark could see it for himself.
>>
>> Thanks anyway to mark for pointing out that the 'file' command is useful
>> in finding out whether a file is really DivX or XviD, which I hadn't
>> thought of.
>>
>> andy
>>

> If you go into the synaptic package manager and search for xvid which packages
> show as installed?
>
> James

Doing:

root@ubuntu:/etc/security# dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

(which is easier to paste here) gives:

| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name
Version Description
+++-==========================================-==================================================-============================================
un libxvidcore
<none> (no description
available)
ii libxvidcore4
2:1.1.2-0.1ubuntu3 High quality ISO
MPEG4 codec library
ii xvid4conf
1.12-0.1 creates XviD
configuration files
un xvidtune
<none> (no description
available)

which indicates that libxvidcore4 and xvid4conf are installed.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 AM
James Takac

Hi Andy

On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:
> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat

If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no
probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages
which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11
video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed
the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently
missing

James

Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
andy baxter

James Takac wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:
>
>> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat
>>

> If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no
> probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages
> which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11
> video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed
> the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently
> missing
>
> James

I think you're mixing me up with the original poster. I can play xvid
and divx fine using gxine. I'm in this thread trying to help the OP, not
asking for help myself.

andy

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 AM
James Takac

Hi Andy

On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:37:18 andy baxter wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Andy
> >
> > On Saturday 02 August 2008 17:20:43 andy baxter wrote:
> >> dpkg -l '*xvid*' | cat
> >
> > If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no
> > probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other
> > packages which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems.
> > Basically X11 video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try.
> > Have you installed the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install
> > something that's currently missing
> >
> > James
>
> I think you're mixing me up with the original poster. I can play xvid
> and divx fine using gxine. I'm in this thread trying to help the OP, not
> asking for help myself.
>
> andy

You may well be right LOL

James

--
... Thus, the wise man deals with things through wu-wei and teaches through
no-words.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Mark Williams

Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 AM
andy baxter

Mark Williams wrote:

> andy baxter wrote:
>
>> James Takac wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andy

>>> If I issue the same command you did above I get the same except I have no
>>> probs playing the files. Also looking in synaptic there are other packages
>>> which match the xvid criteria and also installed on my systems. Basically X11
>>> video extentions. Also something else maybe worth a try. Have you installed
>>> the "ubuntu restricted extras". This might install something that's currently
>>> missing
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> I think you're mixing me up with the original poster. I can play xvid
>> and divx fine using gxine. I'm in this thread trying to help the OP, not
>> asking for help myself.
>>
>> andy
>>

> If you take replies in-thread as 'replies to thread' rather than
> 'replies to you personally' it starts to make more sense
>
> I assume the OP is watching..

Hey, call me pernickety, but I would take it that if someone makes a
post which

a) comes up as 'in reply to' one of my posts in my mail client, and
b) has the reply text immediately below some single-quoted text that I
wrote,

then the post is a reply to me and I should take it as such.

Otherwise it just gets confusing and no-one knows who is replying to whom.

andy

Old 08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM, andy baxter <andy@earthsong.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

> Thanks

Have you tried gxine? I can play a divx / xvid file ok with this. My

list of installed, xine-related, plugins is pasted below (with

irrelevant xinerama entries snipped manually). You probably just need to

install gxine and libxine1-ffmpeg.

root@ubuntu:/local/base.tikvanet.org# dpkg -l '*xine*' | grep -v '<none>'

| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend

uppercase=bad)

||/ Name

Version * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Description

+++-==========================================-==================================================-============================================

ii *amarok-xine

2:1.4.9.1-0ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * xine engine for the

Amarok audio player

ii *gxine

0.5.901-1ubuntu2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * the xine video

player, GTK+/Gnome user inter

ii *libxine1

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *the xine video/media

player library, meta-pa

ii *libxine1-bin

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *the xine video/media

player library, binary

ii *libxine1-console

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3

libaa/libcaca/framebuffer/directfb related p

ii *libxine1-ffmpeg

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *MPEG-related plugins

for libxine1

ii *libxine1-misc-plugins

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Input, audio output

and post plugins for lib

ii *libxine1-plugins

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *the xine video/media

player library, meta pa

ii *libxine1-x

1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *X desktop video

output plugins for libxine1

I have both gxine and libxine1-ffmpeg installed already.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Mark Williams <mark.666@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

andy baxter wrote:

> Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:24 PM, POWERS, ZACK <zpowers@umflint.edu

>> <mailto:zpowers@umflint.edu>> wrote:

>> * * Gary,

>> * * Are you sure this file is a XviD file not DivX?

>> Yes, I am sure. *Copied from the file name: * HDViD.Eng.XviD

> I have a downloaded file which says DivX in the filename, but when

> played in gxine it reports it as Xvid, so maybe you should try to check

> this another way somehow.

> andy

What does 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD' give you?

Mark

Mark:* 'file HDViD.Eng.XviD' in terminal (cd to location of file) yields no response whatsoever.
Thanks

Gary