Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

Default playing XviD files

Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Karl Larsen

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?
>
> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.
>
> Thanks

According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression
software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex
should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC can work.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

> Thanks

* *According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression

software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex

should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC can work.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

I've tried to find a download without success.* Let me know if you find
one.* No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there but
you can't install it, I get an error message when I try.

Gary

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Is it possible to play Xvid files in unbuntu?

> I tried vlc, totem and real player to no avail.

> Thanks

* *According to Google Xvid is a new mp3 type of file compression

software. No time to look further but it is open source so the codex

should be free and easy to get. You need to install it before VLC can work.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

I've tried to find a download without success.* Let me know if you find
one.* No success using synaptic- there seems to be something there but
you can't install it, I get an error message when I try.

Gary

I found xvid.org.* The debian page makes no sense to me, the SUSE makes more sense but not sure if download xvid SUSE is the proper thing to do.