Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Jimmy Montague

Default Wah, wahing

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 16:27 -0500, David Clark wrote:

> Hey DICK HEAD:
>

> I once taught English, so let’s see if I can get the point across in
> plain, everyday, common English.
>

> Your point was badly presented, properly addressed and answered, then
> boorishly rejected. The answer to a question such as yours should
> suffice, absent the whining and petulant backbiting. The man answered
> your question best he could and but you demanded he meet your absurd
> expectations.
>

> Linux solutions sometimes demand the command line. Were you as
> experienced as you claim, that should be welcomed not rejected so
> childishly, since anyone witch experience back to the DOS days knows
> the GUI’ limitations. If you don’t, Dickhead, then you’re also a liar.
>

> Now there; how’s that for a proper and appropriate response to a
> whining asshole?
>

> David Clark
>
> Clarksd5-at-cox.net
>

> From: Jimmy Montague <rhetoric102@iowatelecom.net>
>
> Subject: Re: Win98 -- all kidding aside
>
> To: Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
>
> Cc: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> cuss

> > > I taught college English for two years, myself. I never met but
> one
>
> > > or two college English teachers who can write as well as I can,
> and
>
> > > I never met even one who could write like Papa Hemingway or
> Private
>
> > > Joker (neither of whom ever went to college). Who the heck cares
>
> > > what a college English teacher thinks? Certainly his students do
>
> > > not. Nor should they, for the most part.
>

> > > At ease, Karl. I'm not sore at you.
>

> > I'd like to try one more time to at least clear the slate with you
> by
>
> > saying I'm sorry for whatever I exactly did to piss you off so much
>
> > that you can't find any form of forgiveness nor a reason to come to
> an
>
> > understanding.
>

> > Can't do anything other than that, and if you're the kind of person
>
> > who'd rather reply with hostility when someone is trying to make
>
> > amends...nothing I can do about that. I really don't understand what
>
> > did that would deserve such rabid animosity from you.
>

> > Otherwise, have a good life and good luck.
>

> > -Bart
>

> You keep saying goodbye to me but you never get around to leaving.
>
> Please feel free to ignore me in perpetuity. I won't miss you at all.
>

> I promise.
>

> Jimmy

Jeez, David, I don't know. It sounds to me like you and your pal Bart
are doing the whining. Whatever is wrong must be very important to the
two of you. He won't go away and you (who had no part in this until now)
won't let it drop. Maybe you fellers could get together somewhere and
pee in each other's hats or something. It won't make any difference to
me if you do or you don't, but it might help the two of you feel better.

I have no other suggestions. If what you want is pity, you're sending to
the wrong address. If what you want is to put a lid on this, I keep
trying -- but guys like you keep tearing the lid off and stirring up the
poop. Some people here are afflicted, but it's clearly not me: you
haven't got what it takes to hurt my feelings. All you can accomplish
the way you're going is to gum up the list with this never-ending flame
fest.

Betcha what! Keep it up long enough and some of these folks will be
asking YOU to leave. And you should leave. You obviously need a life: if
you didn't, you wouldn't be taking on other people's problems.

Think about it.

Jimmy

Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Dax Solomon Umaming

Why would you forward a private correspondence to this list? Is there
a need for us to get involved?

Please refrain from further forwarding unnecessary and unrelated
posts.

--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://blog.knightlust.com/

Old 08-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Derek Broughton

Dax Solomon Umaming wrote:

> Why would you forward a private correspondence to this list? Is there
> a need for us to get involved?
>
> Please refrain from further forwarding unnecessary and unrelated
> posts.

While I consider forwarding private emails the height of bad manners, and
the poster _has_ already been consigned to the kill file, afaict nobody
_did_ post the contents of a private email. There were a number of
messages that were replied _to_ private addresses and CC'd to the ubuntu
list, but then they're still fair game.
--
derek

Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Jimmy Montague

Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Jimmy Montague

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:48 -0500, David Clark wrote:
> Jimmy:
> Might I remind you, that YOU started this pissin' contest. If you toss
> enough stones, don't be too surprised if they're returned your way.
>
> My grandmother used to say, "If you plant it, you'll pick it...."
>
> Have some balls, and tell everyone you're sorry for being an ass and
let it
> go at that. Redeem yourself.
>

> David

I didn't start it!
You guys started it!
No we didn't!
Yes, you did!
Did not!
Did too!
Eat rats!
You first!

Sound familiar, David?

I think I heard it first in kindergarten. Regardless: You want an
apology from me, you're gonna wait a long time. I feel it's rather the
case that I'm due an apology from you guys, but I ain't gonna get it and
I ain't gonna whine about it either. I see your buddies' posts talking
about how they're doing Web research on me and comparing me to Karl and
in other ways talking about me as if I weren't in the room. I see you
all doing Res the same kind of dirt. First day I was here, I watched
several of you abusing Karl. That's real friendly. That convinces me
you're all well-intended. Makes me want to apologize for telling a gang
of sneaking, condescending infantile asses where to go -- you bet it
does.

So it ain't gonna happen: you ain't gonna get what you want from me. I'm
not going to apologize because the fact is, I ain't sorry. I ain't going
away because I'm not intimidated by you and your gang. You can't even
manage peaceful co-existence -- you gotta keep digging this thing up
because you don't have the spiritual wherewithal to look in the mirror
and see where YOU'RE at fault here. We're all at fault. But you gotta
have an apology. I'm an adult; I can live without that.

Which one of us is a whiner? When are you gonna go and tell the teacher
and get her (him, it) to intervene on your behalf and MAKE me apologize?
That won't work either, but I been waiting days for you all to try it.

The last advice I'll offer you skulking morons is that you should just
walk away and pretend none of this ever happened. That's what I'm going
to try to do. That's all I'm willing to do. If that's not enough, then
you're stuck in this rut and need counsel.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Chris

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 05:16:48 -0500
Jimmy Montague <rhetoric102@iowatelecom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:48 -0500, David Clark wrote:
> > Jimmy:
> > Might I remind you, that YOU started this pissin' contest. If you
> > toss enough stones, don't be too surprised if they're returned your
> > way.
> >
> > My grandmother used to say, "If you plant it, you'll pick it...."
> >
> > Have some balls, and tell everyone you're sorry for being an ass and
> let it
> > go at that. Redeem yourself.
> >

> > David
> >

> I didn't start it!
> You guys started it!
> No we didn't!
> Yes, you did!
> Did not!
> Did too!
> Eat rats!
> You first!
>
> Sound familiar, David?
>
> I think I heard it first in kindergarten. Regardless: You want an
> apology from me, you're gonna wait a long time. I feel it's rather the
> case that I'm due an apology from you guys, but I ain't gonna get it
> and I ain't gonna whine about it either. I see your buddies' posts
> talking about how they're doing Web research on me and comparing me
> to Karl and in other ways talking about me as if I weren't in the
> room. I see you all doing Res the same kind of dirt. First day I was
> here, I watched several of you abusing Karl. That's real friendly.
> That convinces me you're all well-intended. Makes me want to
> apologize for telling a gang of sneaking, condescending infantile
> asses where to go -- you bet it does.
>
> So it ain't gonna happen: you ain't gonna get what you want from me.
> I'm not going to apologize because the fact is, I ain't sorry. I
> ain't going away because I'm not intimidated by you and your gang.
> You can't even manage peaceful co-existence -- you gotta keep digging
> this thing up because you don't have the spiritual wherewithal to
> look in the mirror and see where YOU'RE at fault here. We're all at
> fault. But you gotta have an apology. I'm an adult; I can live
> without that.
>
> Which one of us is a whiner? When are you gonna go and tell the
> teacher and get her (him, it) to intervene on your behalf and MAKE me
> apologize? That won't work either, but I been waiting days for you
> all to try it.
>
> The last advice I'll offer you skulking morons is that you should just
> walk away and pretend none of this ever happened. That's what I'm
> going to try to do. That's all I'm willing to do. If that's not
> enough, then you're stuck in this rut and need counsel.

Are you by chance, a Windows user?! </Sarcasm>

--
Best regards,

Chris

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM
"Michael "TheZorch" Haney"

Ok, I don't check my email in a while and this shit happens. What
started all of this anyway? Can't find the originating message.

It does irk me when people at Digg.com bitch & moan about the Linux
terminal or compiling programs to install them. I grew up using the
command line starting with the Apple IIe all the way up to Unix and
final version of straight MS/PC-DOS before Win95 made ever young
computer users since then a spoiled brat. Yes, the GUI has made people
spoiled, and I admit I'm a bit spoiled by it too but I don't bitch &
moan when I need to open a terminal window or compile a piece of source
code. Yes, you can do just about everything from the GUI in Windows,
BUT that's also one of Window's major limitations because there are
certain things you can ONLY do from the GUI and if those things break
you're shit out of luck. Well, those things have a tendency to break
from time to time leaving you with no choice but to reformat and
reinstall. In Linux you have full control from the terminal, and I mean
FULL control over just about everything. Another bitch that irks me is
having to compile source, they really shed tears over that one. Thing
is, its becoming very rare to find a FOSS project that requires you to
compile code to install their software, most nowadays have binaries you
can download or binaries inside of packages. More and more projects are
offing their stuff via repositories also. Compiling software from
source is becoming very rare unless you're doing something pretty exotic
like installing specialized scientific analysis or advanced engineering
software that also requires hardware that interfaces with remote sensors
and other equipment. Otherwise, 99% of all Linux software is install
with the click of a mouse.

While having all of this power in the terminal is good I do have the
guts to also admit its the one reason why Linux is having such a bitch
of a time being accepted as mainstream. Lets just admit it, there are a
lot of really lazy computer users out there who don't want to learn the
command prompt and you can't force them to learn it no matter what you
do. Micro$oft has brainwashed millions into thinking Windows IS their
PC and getting them to change this perception is going to take a lot
more work than most of you all realize. Buddha knows, the Windows GUI
isn't the most user friendly piece of shit in the world. In fact its
pretty damn unforgiving for the most part. Apple has the best, and if a
Linux GUI can achieve the level of user-friendliness of Mac OS X then
the OS will gain more acceptance. We need to face reality, developing a
powerful GUI that hides the intricate complexity of Linux behind a very
"simple" (not easy) to use interface is the Holy Grail of this Operating
System. Well, that's my 0.02 cents worth on the matter.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 13:38 -0400, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:
> Ok, I don't check my email in a while and this shit happens. What
> started all of this anyway? Can't find the originating message.
>
> It does irk me when people at Digg.com bitch & moan about the Linux
> terminal or compiling programs to install them. I grew up using the
> command line starting with the Apple IIe all the way up to Unix and
> final version of straight MS/PC-DOS before Win95 made ever young
> computer users since then a spoiled brat. Yes, the GUI has made people
> spoiled, and I admit I'm a bit spoiled by it too but I don't bitch &
> moan when I need to open a terminal window or compile a piece of source
> code. Yes, you can do just about everything from the GUI in Windows,

Amen, brother! I have always thought that GUIs were to sell software to
managers. :-) In all seriousness, a good GUI desktop is useful and
makes the system more accessible to novice users. However, the
underlying CLI is very powerful and it is useful to know it is there and
how it can be used. I also do not think you need to have a system to do
everything in the GUI. For little used functionality it is acceptable
to drop to the CLI. I have been such a long time Unix/Linux user and
administrator that doing this is second nature to me. I can see how it
can be daunting to those not familiar with the Unix computing paradigm
and we should make every effort to make the system as simple as possible
to us for the most common tasks.

I think the desktop managers (Gnome and KDE) have come a long way in
usability and functionality over many years of development and I applaud
the developers for their diligence. We do need to realize that
GNU/Linux is not going to satisfy all users, but I think it is important
that there be a choice in desktop computing. I am happy to see Apple
doing well with OSX and that desktop use of GNU/Linux is growing.
Having a monoculture on the desktop is a bad thing for computing as a
whole.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 PM
"Dick Dowdell"

When one of my grandchildren ceases to behave rationally, we just totally ignore him.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot@tic.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 13:38 -0400, Michael "TheZorch" Haney wrote:

> Ok, I don't check my email in a while and this shit happens. *What

> started all of this anyway? *Can't find the originating message.

> It does irk me when people at Digg.com bitch & moan about the Linux

> terminal or compiling programs to install them. *I grew up using the

> command line starting with the Apple IIe all the way up to Unix and

> final version of straight MS/PC-DOS before Win95 made ever young

> computer users since then a spoiled brat. *Yes, the GUI has made people

> spoiled, and I admit I'm a bit spoiled by it too but I don't bitch &

> moan when I need to open a terminal window or compile a piece of source

> code. *Yes, you can do just about everything from the GUI in Windows,

Amen, brother! *I have always thought that GUIs were to sell software to

managers. :-) *In all seriousness, a good GUI desktop is useful and

makes the system more accessible to novice users. However, the

underlying CLI is very powerful and it is useful to know it is there and

how it can be used. I also do not think you need to have a system to do

everything in the GUI. *For little used functionality it is acceptable

to drop to the CLI. *I have been such a long time Unix/Linux user and

administrator that doing this is second nature to me. *I can see how it

can be daunting to those not familiar with the Unix computing paradigm

and we should make every effort to make the system as simple as possible

to us for the most common tasks.

I think the desktop managers (Gnome and KDE) have come a long way in

usability and functionality over many years of development and I applaud

the developers for their diligence. *We do need to realize that

GNU/Linux is not going to satisfy all users, but I think it is important

that there be a choice in desktop computing. *I am happy to see Apple

doing well with OSX and that desktop use of GNU/Linux is growing.

Having a monoculture on the desktop is a bad thing for computing as a

whole.

--

Smoot Carl-Mitchell

System/Network Architect