Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Peter N Spotts

Default Setting default applications w/out gnome-control-center

Folks,

Is it possible to set default apps in Xubuntu 8.04 without resorting to
gnome-control-center? I've used Xfce's version to set Claws Mail as my
default email app. But it fails to come up when I try to use web email
addresses in Firefox. I've used about:config in FF to try to remedy the
problem. But it hasn't worked; something appears to be overriding the
about:config setup for email. Is there a "via terminal" approach for
designating default apps? Or do I need to install Gnome's control
center to get this right?

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/01/2008 10:47 AM, Peter N Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Is it possible to set default apps in Xubuntu 8.04 without resorting to
> gnome-control-center? I've used Xfce's version to set Claws Mail as my
> default email app. But it fails to come up when I try to use web email
> addresses in Firefox. I've used about:config in FF to try to remedy the
> problem. But it hasn't worked; something appears to be overriding the
> about:config setup for email. Is there a "via terminal" approach for
> designating default apps? Or do I need to install Gnome's control
> center to get this right?
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete

Launch the gconf-editor. I have almost no experience with Xfce, so I
can't be sure this works, but you can change gnome-control-center
settings by editing the values in the gconf database, and the
gconf-editor helps you do that.

However, the gconf-editor is a *lot* less pretty than
gnome-control-center. Gconf is like the Windows registry; there are many
keys, and the keys have values, and you have to know the right key and
value to modify to get your desired results.

For example, the default browser can probably be changed by modifying
the key /desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec; the value is "firefox"
on my system.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Peter N Spotts

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:00:02 -0500
"Mumia W." <paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 08/01/2008 10:47 AM, Peter N Spotts wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Is it possible to set default apps in Xubuntu 8.04 without
> > resorting to gnome-control-center? I've used Xfce's version to set
> > Claws Mail as my default email app. But it fails to come up when I
> > try to use web email addresses in Firefox. I've used about:config
> > in FF to try to remedy the problem. But it hasn't worked; something
> > appears to be overriding the about:config setup for email. Is there
> > a "via terminal" approach for designating default apps? Or do I
> > need to install Gnome's control center to get this right?
> >
> > With best regards,
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Launch the gconf-editor. I have almost no experience with Xfce, so I
> can't be sure this works, but you can change gnome-control-center
> settings by editing the values in the gconf database, and the
> gconf-editor helps you do that.
>
> However, the gconf-editor is a *lot* less pretty than
> gnome-control-center. Gconf is like the Windows registry; there are
> many keys, and the keys have values, and you have to know the right
> key and value to modify to get your desired results.
>
> For example, the default browser can probably be changed by modifying
> the key /desktop/gnome/applications/browser/exec; the value is
> "firefox" on my system.

Thanks! Found the setting, changed it, and it works like a champ!

Best,

Pete

Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 13:50 -0400, Peter N Spotts wrote:
> > Gconf is like the Windows registry; there are
> > many keys, and the keys have values, and you have to know the right
> > key and value to modify to get your desired results.

I have a strong personal dislike against this meme, so I have to respond
with a few corrections:

gconf uses xml files and optionally other backends (which haven't been
written, though), like a database.
Registry uses binary files that you can ONLY edit with MS-approved
tools.

The gconf hierarchy is pretty straightforward, and at least application
settings are very easy to find.
Registry is much, much more convoluted.

The gconf keys have pretty straightforward names that usually reflect
their purpose well.
Registry keys often are obfuscated.

gconf keys that control application behavior and that are therefore of
interest to users usually tell you their valid values, and the purposes
of these values, when you select them -- descriptions are at the bottom
of the window.
In the registry, you are usually on your own, or have to learn the valid
values from documentation, if provided.

So, the similarities between gconf and the registry seem to be:
* They use a hierarchical structure
* They provide a centralized place to store information with
standard methods.

Both are actually pretty good ideas. Microsoft just approached it in way
that probably has advantages for them, but is a pain for the user. As
usual.