FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Steve Brettell
 
Default Terminal

I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've found in the bookstores.* So I'm leeching off the interwebs.* I don't have much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a contribution.



That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal effectively?* It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.



I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the answer.* There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path, but need LOTS of bread crumbs.



SteveB


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
"Phil Bieber"
 
Default Terminal

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 14:31, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've
> found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the interwebs. I don't have
> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a
> contribution.
>
> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.
>
> I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the answer.
> There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path, but need LOTS of
> bread crumbs.
>
> SteveB
Hey Steve!
Try it this way:
Start doing stuff from the GUI and then gradually look for ways to do
it on the command line. That way, you can start exploring and then
gradually dig deeper and deeper into the system. Thats the way I did
it, and I'm still doing it!

Cheers & have a nice weekend!

Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"
 
Default Terminal

There is some Terminal Cheat Sheets on the internet, with the mos used comands, is a very usefull tool to start,

Regards!

2008/8/1 Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 14:31, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:


> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've

> found in the bookstores. *So I'm leeching off the interwebs. *I don't have

> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a

> contribution.

>

> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal

> effectively? *It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.

>

> I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the answer.

> There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path, but need LOTS of

> bread crumbs.

>

> SteveB

Hey Steve!

Try it this way:

Start doing stuff from the GUI and then gradually look for ways to do

it on the command line. That way, you can start exploring and then

gradually dig deeper and deeper into the system. Thats the way I did

it, and I'm still doing it!



Cheers & have a nice weekend!



Phil Bieber

--

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.



Atheism is a non-prophet organization.



GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301

FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301

Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
--------------------------------------------------------------
Santiago Hernández
http://www.tulugar.com.uy
http://www.twitter.com/santius

--------------------------------------------------------------


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Leonard Bussey
 
Default Terminal

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 08:31 -0400, Steve Brettell wrote:

> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.
>
One resource you could try is the Linux Documentation Project. It
offers tutorials, guides, and How-To's on Linux commands. You can find
it at:

http://tldp.org/

These other websites also offer linux tutorials:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/

http://lowfatlinux.com/

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html

http://www.fsid.cvut.cz/cz/U201/LINUX.HTML

http://www.mediacollege.com/linux/command-tutorial/

You can also do a good search for "linux tutorials",
"linux command tutorials", or "linux commands".

Hope this helps







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Florian Diesch
 
Default Terminal

Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books
> I've found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the interwebs. I
> don't have much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring
> good answers are a contribution.
>
> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
> effectively?

A good thing to start with is "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition":
Install the package rutebook and go to /usr/share/doc/rutebook/.
Some parts (especially the ones about configuring some programs) are
a bit out of date but IMHO it's still a very good book.

If you want to know some more about shell scripting the "Advanced
Bash-Scripting Guide" is for you (package abs-guide, see
/usr/share/doc/abs-guide).

The "Debian Reference" (package debian-reference-en,
/usr/share/doc/Debian/reference) and the APT Howto (package
apt-howto-en, /usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto) are focused on Debian
(which Ubuntu is derived from) and some things are a bit different for
Ubuntu (like release names and the repositories) but most of it is
still useful.


Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
steve
 
Default Terminal

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Phil Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 14:31, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've
>> found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the interwebs. I don't have
>> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a
>> contribution.
>>
>> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
>> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.
>>
>> I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the answer.
>> There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path, but need LOTS of
>> bread crumbs.
>>
>> SteveB
> Hey Steve!
> Try it this way:
> Start doing stuff from the GUI and then gradually look for ways to do
> it on the command line. That way, you can start exploring and then
> gradually dig deeper and deeper into the system. Thats the way I did
> it, and I'm still doing it!
>
> Cheers & have a nice weekend!
>
> Phil Bieber

from my experience, the best way to learn about a command is to use man
followed by the command you want to know about. for example man ls
or man top. A bunch of useful information us already included right in
the distro.



- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIkyWXUpqfZIdKFyERAvOCAJ9PqN6HT3NAzct4Ww2J1l jBTUX1NACdG4+V
bGmgnfwAtC3yBVocf2hX4RQ=
=qf0E
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:10 PM
"Chris Bia"
 
Default Terminal

No. begin with slackware without xserver. So, in this way, try to do all normal operations.... in 4-5 months you'll learn a lot of things.

:-)

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1



Phil Bieber wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 14:31, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've

>> found in the bookstores. *So I'm leeching off the interwebs. *I don't have

>> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a

>> contribution.

>>

>> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal

>> effectively? *It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.

>>

>> I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the answer.

>> There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path, but need LOTS of

>> bread crumbs.

>>

>> SteveB

> Hey Steve!

> Try it this way:

> Start doing stuff from the GUI and then gradually look for ways to do

> it on the command line. That way, you can start exploring and then

> gradually dig deeper and deeper into the system. Thats the way I did

> it, and I'm still doing it!

>

> Cheers & have a nice weekend!

>

> Phil Bieber



from my experience, the best way to learn about a command is to use man

followed by the command you want to know about. * for example *man ls

or man top. *A bunch of useful information us already included right in

the distro.







- --

Steve Reilly



http://reillyblog.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org



iD8DBQFIkyWXUpqfZIdKFyERAvOCAJ9PqN6HT3NAzct4Ww2J1l jBTUX1NACdG4+V

bGmgnfwAtC3yBVocf2hX4RQ=

=qf0E

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Iena Bellamy ~ http://www.ienabellamy.wordpress.com


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default Terminal

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've
> found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the interwebs. I don't have
> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a
> contribution.

Absolutely. Ask a question. If it gets answered, then that's
available in Google for the next person with the same problem.
Posting questions you can't answer on your own after Googling and
trying to figure it out independantly *is* contributing - because
somebody else *will* have the same problem.

> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.

Something you may not realize is that the various terminal programs
all put you in something called a 'shell'.

That 'shell' is just like your desktop - it has rules and patterns and
does things a certain way.

Where it can get confusing is that there is more than one 'shell',
just like KDE and Gnome and Windows are all different GUIs.

The most commonly used shell, the default in Ubuntu, is called 'bash'
(a shortform with a long history)

Where I'm going with this long winded explaination is this - you might
get better results from Google if you started searching for
information on using 'bash' the shell, rather than the generic word
'terminal'.

Oh, and this link might be helpful too -
<http://linuxcomand.org/learning_the_shell.php>

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
"Brie Gordon"
 
Default Terminal

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Steve Brettell <sbrettell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the books I've
>> found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the interwebs. I don't have
>> much to contribute right now, unless questions that bring good answers are a
>> contribution.
>
> Absolutely. Ask a question. If it gets answered, then that's
> available in Google for the next person with the same problem.
> Posting questions you can't answer on your own after Googling and
> trying to figure it out independantly *is* contributing - because
> somebody else *will* have the same problem.
>
>> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
>> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.
>
> Something you may not realize is that the various terminal programs
> all put you in something called a 'shell'.
>
> That 'shell' is just like your desktop - it has rules and patterns and
> does things a certain way.
>
> Where it can get confusing is that there is more than one 'shell',
> just like KDE and Gnome and Windows are all different GUIs.
>
> The most commonly used shell, the default in Ubuntu, is called 'bash'
> (a shortform with a long history)
>
> Where I'm going with this long winded explaination is this - you might
> get better results from Google if you started searching for
> information on using 'bash' the shell, rather than the generic word
> 'terminal'.
>
> Oh, and this link might be helpful too -
> <http://linuxcomand.org/learning_the_shell.php>
>
> Brian
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


I've found this site useful:
http://www.ss64.com/bash/index.html

It's a bunch of basic commands. Browse around until you find something
useful and try it out! One of the best ways to learn is through
experience. Best of luck.

--
Regards,

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
andy baxter
 
Default Terminal

Steve Brettell wrote:
> I'm very new to Linux, and frankly, can't afford the price of the
> books I've found in the bookstores. So I'm leeching off the
> interwebs. I don't have much to contribute right now, unless
> questions that bring good answers are a contribution.
>
> That said, is there any kind of a tutorial about using the terminal
> effectively? It looks to me like this is the heart of Linux country.
>
> I've looked at lists of terms, etc, but that doesn't look like the
> answer. There's a lot there, and I'd like to start down that path,
> but need LOTS of bread crumbs.
A good way might be if you can think of a definite project you want to
do which is best done, or can only be done, from the terminal, then
learn what you need to do that as you go along.

An example of what I mean would be if you have, or can beg or borrow an
old PC from somewhere, you could set up a home web server on it which
you could access from outside over ADSL. Or a file / printer server to
let you back up and share data between several machines. This would have
a useful end result as well as teaching you a lot along the way about
system administration.

Most of what I've learned has been from the man pages, the debian system
admin guide, linux how-tos, asking questions on email lists, and just
experimenting rather than working my way through a book. But if you
would prefer a book / tutorial I would second Florian in saying that the
rute linux guide looks pretty good.

andy

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org