Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
catalina

Default /etc/apt/sources.list

I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Markus Schönhaber

catalina wrote:
> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

You tried to execute a text file that isn't marked as executable. And
even if it was it wouldn't help you much, since the only thing that
would change would be the error message.

If you want to look at /etc/apt/source.list, open it with the text
editor of your choice.
If you want to manipulate it's contents, start your preferred editor
with the appropriate sudo mechanism. Or, much better, use, for example,
Synaptic's interface to do it.

If the above doesn't help you, describe what exactly you want to achieve.

Regards
mks

Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
James Collier

Hi Catalina,
You need to be the "super-user" or "root" to access files in directories
such as /etc/.
If you are trying to add a repository I'd recommend you use:
- System > Administration > Software Sources
- type in your password
- Go to the Third-Party Software tab and select from the list or (if the
repo you're after isn't there then click the "Add..." button and type it
in manually.
I'd recommend you consult
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu too.

James

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 10:39 +0100, catalina wrote:
> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

---
/*************************************************
*INTERESTING FACT: *
* Why are restricted formats and software bad? *
* This is the first time in history someone else *
* has decided where your music plays! *
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXDhXqR-SE *
*************************************************/

My System: Ubuntu 8.04 GNU/Linux 2.6.24-20-generic x86_64
My website: https://launchpad.net/~james-collier412
www.morerowdy.blogspot.com
Public key available from: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/

Started: Fri Aug 1 19:49:51 EST 2008

Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Karl Larsen

catalina wrote:
> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

Well /etc/apt/sources.list is owned by root. So I use cat that will
at least read the file, but you can't change it.

In a terminal type cat /etc/apt/sources.list and it will print out
what you want.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
catalina

Sir:
Thank you so very much for the info.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM

> From: catalina

> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

try sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

This will let you perform gedit on the file with the permissions of a
super user, like root. What you tried to do was actually run the file.
It isn't an executable, but, rather a text file.

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bart Silverstrim

catalina wrote:
> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Jim Smith

catalina wrote:
> I tried /etc/apt/sources.list , but got < permission denied>
> Can you please tell me what i did wrong?

Did you use the command "gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list?" (kdesu if
using KDE)
This allows you to edit as root which is the only way it will work.

Jim

Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Heddle Weaver

Hello,

I've searched the wiki, reference and google like an idiot but can't seem to find a .list specification for unstable.
I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze but want to go a little further.
Does Unstable require a 'security' resource in the list at all.

I'm assuming there isn't an unstable 'security', but do you leave 'testing' security in there as a config., or delete it.
Thanks for any time and trouble.
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:04:22 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> I've searched the wiki, reference and google like an idiot but can't
> seem to find a .list specification for unstable. I've upgraded from
> Lenny to Squeeze but want to go a little further. Does Unstable require
> a 'security' resource in the list at all. I'm assuming there isn't an
> unstable 'security', but do you leave 'testing' security in there as a
> config., or delete it. Thanks for any time and trouble.

Your assumptions seem to be right:

http://www.debian.org/security/faq.en.html#unstable

If don't want to use a mixed environment but just a "pure" sid, I'd say
there is no need to keep any security repository.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón