Old 07-31-2008, 05:17 PM
guoqiang jia

Default help needed!!

First of all, I would like to thank you all for the wonderful job you have done on UBUNTU.¬* Thank you very much indeed! UBUNTU is great!
I consider myself as a unskillful PC runner and have no spacial skills to work in computer field, especially, on UBUNTU. This letter is not about how to improve on UBUNTU, but is looking for the help from UBUNTU because my laptop encountered a serious problem during the installation.
The following is the story. I work with windows XP pro for a few years, it gave me a lot of rough time and unpleasant¬* experiences. Since I don't know too much about computer and its programming, I cannot use some OP system as LINUX, which needs a lot of skills to run it.¬* Last week, my laptop crashed down again, I decided to search a new OP system. I
tried REDHAT, BLAG-600000, XFLT, and several versions of LIVE CD, however; their preferences were very disappointed. By a chance, I tried UBUNTU out. With a pleasant surprise,¬* I have found what I am looking for. UBUNTU's high resolution display, fast speed, and good network connection really amused me and I decided to switch to UBUNTU from windows XP.
Before I installed UBUNTU 8.04, I checked the UBUNTU. ISO DVD disc and my computer hardwares, they are all good. During the installation, I double checked my laptop by using program MEM test +86 provided by UBUNTU, the tests took about 3 hours and it made 3 passes without any failures. After UBUNTU¬*¬* being installed, I downloaded a lot of programs, such as Firefox 3 with its add-ons, gcc, g++, g77, etc. My download work wasn't done yet, I received a warning message, it read:
" _cache_open(¬* ) failed, please make a report."
My computer is the first generation of dual core
TOSHIBA A105 S4019, ( 1.8 GHz with CPU, 1024 MB with memory, and 100GB with hardware),even its cache isn't open, it still behaviors as normal one. When I used system monitor to check its processing, I found out that one core runs at 98% speed while the second one at 3%. Meanwhile, the memory and swap shows two flat lines, 51% with memory and 1.3% with swap. These dates convinced me that my laptop is really in the trouble. Since these is no cache open within it, CPU has to be very busy to transfer dates to the hardware by itself, that is why the warning message showed up. The second fact is that all kind media player acts wired. For example, VLC log shows that all ‚Äú lated pictures ‚ÄĚ, which means that the movies are like high speed slide-shows, not moving pictures. Youtube has no web connections too. In the past week, I tried to find¬* solutions in the web sites, but it dosn't work.
I don't know weather¬* I make myself clear¬* to you or
not,¬* but I highly respect to your expertise and really need your help at this moment.¬* I would like to thank you all in advance, any suggestion is appreciated. The more detailed, the better.
Please contact me at shen_zhen_china@yahoo.com
Sincerely yours,
UBUNTU new user, Guoqiang Jia

Old 08-01-2008, 04:11 PM
NoOp

On 07/31/2008 10:17 AM, guoqiang jia wrote:
[snip]
Let's try to break this down a little so that it's easier to understand:

After UBUNTU being installed, I downloaded a lot of
> programs, such as Firefox 3 with its add-ons, gcc, g++, g77, etc. My
> download work wasn't done yet, I received a warning message, it read:
> " _cache_open( ) failed, please make a report."

Interesting that you are doing Fortran :-)

Do you receive any other information other than " _cache_open( )
failed, please make a report."? Can you use the file browser (Nautilus)
to look at /var/crash and see if there are any files in that folder? If
so, can you please tell us the file name?

My computer is the
> first generation of dual core TOSHIBA A105 S4019, ( 1.8 GHz with CPU,
> 1024 MB with memory, and 100GB with hardware),even its cache isn't
> open, it still behaviors as normal one. When I used system monitor to
> check its processing, I found out that one core runs at 98% speed
> while the second one at 3%. Meanwhile, the memory and swap shows two
> flat lines, 51% with memory and 1.3% with swap. These dates convinced
> me that my laptop is really in the trouble. Since these is no cache
> open within it, CPU has to be very busy to transfer dates to the
> hardware by itself, that is why the warning message showed up.

This is most likely the tracker index and search tool indexing the files
on your system. Typically, when the system is first installed Tracker
will go through your entire system and index all of the files, this
often consumes a considerable amount of CPU. I'll not go into whether
this is a feature or not, but you can check to see what is consuming the
resources by using the same System Monitor:

Click View and click "All Processes". Now click on Processes tab then
click on %CPU. That will sort the processes by those that are using the
most CPU. Normally you will see that the top processes are Xorg,
gnome-system-monitor, perhaps a browser like FireFox etc. Please post
the top 5 processes that are using the CPU.

The
> second fact is that all kind media player acts wired. For example,
> VLC log shows that all ‚Äú lated pictures ‚ÄĚ, which means that the
> movies are like high speed slide-shows, not moving pictures. Youtube
> has no web connections too. In the past week, I tried to find
> solutions in the web sites, but it dosn't work. I don't know weather
> I make myself clear to you or not, but I highly respect to your
> expertise and really need your help at this moment. I would like to
> thank you all in advance, any suggestion is appreciated. The more
> detailed, the better. Please contact me at shen_zhen_china@yahoo.com
> Sincerely yours, UBUNTU new user, Guoqiang Jia

Let's leave the last for after we figure out what is crashing and
consuming your CPU.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
"David Fox"

> received a warning message, it read:
> " _cache_open( ) failed, please make a report."

I tried googling on that text, and only got these two results from the
gmane mail to news gateway. So googling on just cache_open failed gets
me to a number of hits that suggest it's a kernel message. You're not
doing anything with NFS, are you? (Because I saw that error in context
with NFS, but I've never done NFS, and I've never seen this error
before, after running dual core for about 2 months - amd64x2 5200+
cpu).

> My computer is the first generation of dual core TOSHIBA A105 S4019, ( 1.8
> GHz with CPU, 1024 MB with memory, and 100GB with hardware),even its cache
> isn't open, it still behaviors as normal one. When I used system monitor to

Are you sure you have no cache? That would be extremely strange. Is
your cpu a Pentium M or a dual-core intel? I would think the latter,
and that definitely has cache. The celerons and durons were cpus that
either had no cache to speak of or very little. I don't believe your
error message (cache_open) is really speaking of the cache on the cpu.

At any rate, cat /proc/cpuinfo in a terminal will tell you how much
cache ram you have.
Mine is 512K on both cpus (amd64x2).

> check its processing, I found out that one core runs at 98% speed while the
> second one at 3%. Meanwhile, the memory and swap shows two flat lines, 51%
> with memory and 1.3% with swap. These dates convinced me that my laptop is

That may be normal depending on what you're doing. If you're running
multiple cpu-intensive tasks, or running apps that are designed to use
both cores, then you'll see each core more or less equally utilized.