FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:39 AM
steve
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Pat Brown wrote:

>
> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
> it freezes.

I believe what your looking for is typing this in a terminal from
another linux box,,,, or windows through putty

ssh username@192.168.1.100 (change the ip and username to the
laptops info)

type your password

then issue the command

top

this will show you all processes in memory. your looking to press k
which will kill a "pid" look for the # of the pid which exceeds say
70-80, and kill it. (press k, then the pid#, then enter. itll probably
be konqueror.

man top in a terminal for more info on that command.




- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIkndnUpqfZIdKFyERAsqeAKCjevEVgXnpO1QVzZAAgm/aJyKUnwCfTXNQ
A0Enzq7qgqGo9NiuJerIhqM=
=bOCN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Chris Pratt
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

If you're running default Hardy then you should always have six
terminals available besides your gui. Ever try <CTRL> <ALT> <F1>--<F6>
when it *freezes*? You can find out what is tying up your system and
kill it there. <CTRL><ALT><F7> should bring you back to your gui...

ps ax|grep [t]ty
5078 tty4 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5079 tty5 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty5
5081 tty2 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
5083 tty3 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty3
5085 tty6 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty6
7301 tty7 RLs+ 3:49 /usr/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth
/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
7730 tty1 Ss+ 0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty1


Pat Brown wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Pat Brown wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I'm getting very tired of having my PC freeze up almost every time I go
>>> online. I'm using Hardy on a Compaq Presario C700, with a Broadcom B43
>>> wireless card. I apply every update the update manager detects. I've
>>> been running Hardy since it was released and this problem is ongoing. It
>>> doesn't seem to matter what I am doing online, eventually it will freeze
>>> and require a soft boot using CTRL+ALT+Backspace. I've run some of the
>>> tests people have suggested but the results mean nothing to me - I
>>> posted them once and never heard any comments on whether it showed anything.
>>>
>>> I also can't watch YouTube videos at all on Konquerer. Sometimes I can
>>> watch them on Firefox 3.0.1 but it too will shut down without warning.
>>>
>>> I recently picked up an almost new PC which I was originally going to
>>> install Ubuntu on. Now I'm reconsidering and think I'm going to go back
>>> to XP so I can watch videos and surf without this hassle all the time.
>>> I'll keep Ubuntu on my laptop because I like it, but I don't like this
>>> problem and until it's fixed I need an alternative that's more reliable.
>>>
>>>
>> I didn't see your original thread, but a couple things to start with...
>>
>> The freezing. You said ctl-alt-backspace brings the system back...that
>> restarts X, not the system, so this would mean that it's actually the
>> GUI you're restarting and not the system, is this accurate?
>>
>> What shows up under /var/log/system.log? And what is output from dmesg?
>>
>> Does the entire interface freeze, or do you still have *some* control?
>> It would be handy if you could run something like the system monitor or
>> in a terminal run "top" to see if they freeze up as well, because if
>> not, it *might* show if a process is eating the CPU at %100 or if the
>> swap is suddenly growing. I don't know if you have this capability but I
>> diagnosed a problem like that before using a second computer that I
>> secure-shelled into (if your system is running sshd, the
>> opensshd-server) and ran top on from another system. The interface on
>> the workstation froze, but background processes were still running fine
>> so I could see the offending process (and kill it from the remote terminal).
>>
>> The flash issue. I had this problem not long ago and as I recall my fix
>> was the flashplugin-nonfree package. Using synaptic, do you have the
>> package "flashplugin-nonfree" installed? I believe I could play on the
>> YouTubes once I had that package installed.
>>
>> -Bart
>>
>>
>>
> Okay, I guess I'm restarting the X system. I have some keyboard ability,
> but that's all. If I knew some commands to run a terminal that way since
> I can't access it through the GUI, I could check processes and see if
> something was hogging the system, but I don't know the commands. I have
> the output from dmesg, but it's after restarting X. I would love to know
> how to get to a place to kill a process - and know the name of the
> process. I'm assuming it's Konquerer that's doing the CPU hogging since
> it's always Konquerer that freezes X.
>
> When I have full keyboard access I can see Konquerer in the system
> monitor. It's called konquerer [kdeinit] --si which means nothing to me,
> I'm afraid. I'm doing my best to learn Linux/Ubuntu but I'm still very
> green.
>
> The flashplugin-nonfree appears to be installed already.
>
> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
> it freezes.
>
> Pat Brown
> pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!
>
>
>
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 AM
James Takac
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Hi Pat

On Friday 01 August 2008 12:23:49 Pat Brown wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > Pat Brown wrote:
> >> I'm getting very tired of having my PC freeze up almost every time I go
> >> online. I'm using Hardy on a Compaq Presario C700, with a Broadcom B43
> >> wireless card. I apply every update the update manager detects. I've
> >> been running Hardy since it was released and this problem is ongoing. It
> >> doesn't seem to matter what I am doing online, eventually it will freeze
> >> and require a soft boot using CTRL+ALT+Backspace. I've run some of the
> >> tests people have suggested but the results mean nothing to me - I
> >> posted them once and never heard any comments on whether it showed
> >> anything.
> >>
> >> I also can't watch YouTube videos at all on Konquerer. Sometimes I can
> >> watch them on Firefox 3.0.1 but it too will shut down without warning.
> >>
> >> I recently picked up an almost new PC which I was originally going to
> >> install Ubuntu on. Now I'm reconsidering and think I'm going to go back
> >> to XP so I can watch videos and surf without this hassle all the time.
> >> I'll keep Ubuntu on my laptop because I like it, but I don't like this
> >> problem and until it's fixed I need an alternative that's more reliable.
> >
> > I didn't see your original thread, but a couple things to start with...
> >
> > The freezing. You said ctl-alt-backspace brings the system back...that
> > restarts X, not the system, so this would mean that it's actually the
> > GUI you're restarting and not the system, is this accurate?
> >
> > What shows up under /var/log/system.log? And what is output from dmesg?
> >
> > Does the entire interface freeze, or do you still have *some* control?
> > It would be handy if you could run something like the system monitor or
> > in a terminal run "top" to see if they freeze up as well, because if
> > not, it *might* show if a process is eating the CPU at %100 or if the
> > swap is suddenly growing. I don't know if you have this capability but I
> > diagnosed a problem like that before using a second computer that I
> > secure-shelled into (if your system is running sshd, the
> > opensshd-server) and ran top on from another system. The interface on
> > the workstation froze, but background processes were still running fine
> > so I could see the offending process (and kill it from the remote
> > terminal).
> >
> > The flash issue. I had this problem not long ago and as I recall my fix
> > was the flashplugin-nonfree package. Using synaptic, do you have the
> > package "flashplugin-nonfree" installed? I believe I could play on the
> > YouTubes once I had that package installed.
> >
> > -Bart
>
> Okay, I guess I'm restarting the X system. I have some keyboard ability,
> but that's all. If I knew some commands to run a terminal that way since
> I can't access it through the GUI, I could check processes and see if
> something was hogging the system, but I don't know the commands. I have
> the output from dmesg, but it's after restarting X. I would love to know
> how to get to a place to kill a process - and know the name of the
> process. I'm assuming it's Konquerer that's doing the CPU hogging since
> it's always Konquerer that freezes X.
>
> When I have full keyboard access I can see Konquerer in the system
> monitor. It's called konquerer [kdeinit] --si which means nothing to me,
> I'm afraid. I'm doing my best to learn Linux/Ubuntu but I'm still very
> green.
>
> The flashplugin-nonfree appears to be installed already.
>
> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
> it freezes.
>
> Pat Brown
> pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!


Since you still have the working keyboard you should be able to drop into a
shell via CTRL ALT F1 and login there to the text screen

James

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 AM
Leonard Smith
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

> Pat Brown wrote:
>
> >
> > How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
> > it freezes.
>
> I believe what your looking for is typing this in a terminal from
> another linux box,,,, or windows through putty
>
> ssh username@192.168.1.100 (change the ip and username to the
> laptops info)
>
> type your password
>

You can also try Ctrl+Alt+F2, or Ctrl+Alt+F3, etc. until F6. That'll get
you to a console where you can login and enter the top command. Since
you can Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, it may work. Sometimes my laptop takes a while to
switch, but it eventually gets there.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Pat Brown
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

steve wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Pat Brown wrote:
>
>
>> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
>> it freezes.
>>
>
> I believe what your looking for is typing this in a terminal from
> another linux box,,,, or windows through putty
>
> ssh username@192.168.1.100 (change the ip and username to the
> laptops info)
>
> type your password
>
> then issue the command
>
> top
>
> this will show you all processes in memory. your looking to press k
> which will kill a "pid" look for the # of the pid which exceeds say
> 70-80, and kill it. (press k, then the pid#, then enter. itll probably
> be konqueror.
>
> man top in a terminal for more info on that command.
>
>
>
>
> - --
> Steve Reilly
>
> http://reillyblog.com
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFIkndnUpqfZIdKFyERAsqeAKCjevEVgXnpO1QVzZAAgm/aJyKUnwCfTXNQ
> A0Enzq7qgqGo9NiuJerIhqM=
> =bOCN
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
Except I don't have another Linux box or a Windows machine. (Yet)

Pat Brown
pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Pat Brown
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Leonard Smith wrote:
>> Pat Brown wrote:
>>
>>
>>> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
>>> it freezes.
>>>
>> I believe what your looking for is typing this in a terminal from
>> another linux box,,,, or windows through putty
>>
>> ssh username@192.168.1.100 (change the ip and username to the
>> laptops info)
>>
>> type your password
>>
>>
>
> You can also try Ctrl+Alt+F2, or Ctrl+Alt+F3, etc. until F6. That'll get
> you to a console where you can login and enter the top command. Since
> you can Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, it may work. Sometimes my laptop takes a while to
> switch, but it eventually gets there.
>
>
>
I'm going to try all these when it happens next time. Thanks.

Pat Brown
pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Tortise
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Is it overheating?
Kind regards
David Hingston
{L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!}!!!

>
> You can also try Ctrl+Alt+F2, or Ctrl+Alt+F3, etc. until F6. That'll get
> you to a console where you can login and enter the top command. Since
> you can Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, it may work. Sometimes my laptop takes a while to
> switch, but it eventually gets there.
>
>
>
I'm going to try all these when it happens next time. Thanks.

Pat Brown
pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Pat Brown wrote:
> I'm getting very tired of having my PC freeze up almost every time I go
> online. I'm using Hardy on a Compaq Presario C700, with a Broadcom B43
> wireless card. I apply every update the update manager detects. I've
> been running Hardy since it was released and this problem is ongoing. It
> doesn't seem to matter what I am doing online, eventually it will freeze
> and require a soft boot using CTRL+ALT+Backspace.
It seems from what you say that your using kubuntu. I do not and it
adds confusion to the problem. But for sure sounds like a hardware
problem on your laptop. Of course Windows XP works fine and I do not
know why.


> I've run some of the
> tests people have suggested but the results mean nothing to me - I
> posted them once and never heard any comments on whether it showed anything.
>
>
It was not picked up by anyone for some reason. Send the results to
me and I will try to figure it out.
> I also can't watch YouTube videos at all on Konquerer. Sometimes I can
> watch them on Firefox 3.0.1 but it too will shut down without warning.
>
You have to have the proper software installed in Firefox. I forget
what it is but someone else will tell us.

> I recently picked up an almost new PC which I was originally going to
> install Ubuntu on. Now I'm reconsidering and think I'm going to go back
> to XP so I can watch videos and surf without this hassle all the time.
>
Please do load Ubuntu Hardy on this new computer! And please at
least stay with Gnome until it is updated and working fine. I bet it
will load and just work like mine did. Load it dual boot so you have the
best of both windows and Ubuntu.

> I'll keep Ubuntu on my laptop because I like it, but I don't like this
> problem and until it's fixed I need an alternative that's more reliable.
>
>
Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Pat Brown wrote:

> Okay, I guess I'm restarting the X system. I have some keyboard ability,
> but that's all. If I knew some commands to run a terminal that way since
> I can't access it through the GUI, I could check processes and see if
> something was hogging the system, but I don't know the commands.

Someone said it sounded like you're running Kubuntu, and I don't know
where in the menus to look for that offhand. In Hardy with the GNOME
interface, click applications, accessories, and Terminal is in there to
give you shell access.

From there, type "top" and hit enter.

To exit, hit control-c.

More information: "man top"

There are also some graphical system monitors but I don't know the names
off the top of my head. In the GNOME Hardy, there's one by clicking
system->administration->system monitor, but others may need to chime in
with alternatives for kubuntu or if others from the repos are better in
their opinion.

>I have
> the output from dmesg, but it's after restarting X.

If the system didn't do a full reboot, it should be a running log that
is appended to.

>I would love to know
> how to get to a place to kill a process - and know the name of the
> process. I'm assuming it's Konquerer that's doing the CPU hogging since
> it's always Konquerer that freezes X.

top lists process ID's. Also from the terminal, you can run "ps" to just
list processes running. I'll often use "ps -ax" to get full command
lines of what is running. "man ps" should give information.

To kill a process you issue "kill <process id>". If it won't respond,
you can do "sudo kill -9 <process id>". the "killall <process name>"
lets you kill all processes with the name "process name", i.e., "killall
bash" will probably kill your terminal session since it'll kill all
shells using bash.

the System Monitor I named in the graphical bit above should also give
process IDs, and kill items, if I recall correctly.

> When I have full keyboard access I can see Konquerer in the system
> monitor. It's called konquerer [kdeinit] --si which means nothing to me,
> I'm afraid. I'm doing my best to learn Linux/Ubuntu but I'm still very
> green.

We all were at some point :-) The rewards come from continuing to slog
through the basics until they're somewhat familiar.

If you google for something like "basic linux commands" or "linux new
user command line" you will probably find a good list of basic commands
new users should become familiar with...Anyone on the list have a few
good sites that are up-to-date for Ubuntu users who are new?? If not let
me know and I'll try googling a guide or two for you to use.

Some basics on your own system, from the terminal, are man for the
MAN(ual) pages, and apropos to find commands (like "apropos net" to get
mostly network-related commands).

> The flashplugin-nonfree appears to be installed already.

Okay; next question; are you using Firefox and the same thing happens? I
don't know if Konqueror users the Mozilla base; FF does, and the plugin
there I *think* defaults to install under Mozilla browsers.

Please check if your system has FF in it and if so whether YouTube works
under FireFox. If so, I'll see if I can find info on Konqueror and flash
for you, but it'll have to be done by proxy or other list members as
well because I'm not running Kubuntu/Konqueror...

> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
> it freezes.

See if you can find the Kubuntu instructions for getting the terminal up
and leave it running in the background.

If you have another computer, you can log in and run top constantly from
that second machine, if you have sshd...I don't know what your
configuration is at home. Do you have a home network? If so we can try
teaching you a few neat tricks with a second system logging into the
Linux one, both because it can be handy and for troubleshooting :-)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default Tired of freezing laptop

Leonard Smith wrote:
>> Pat Brown wrote:
>>
>>> How do I get to a terminal when my X is frozen? I'll try that next time
>>> it freezes.
>> I believe what your looking for is typing this in a terminal from
>> another linux box,,,, or windows through putty
>>
>> ssh username@192.168.1.100 (change the ip and username to the
>> laptops info)
>>
>> type your password
>>
>
> You can also try Ctrl+Alt+F2, or Ctrl+Alt+F3, etc. until F6. That'll get
> you to a console where you can login and enter the top command. Since
> you can Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, it may work. Sometimes my laptop takes a while to
> switch, but it eventually gets there.

Some clarification for his benefit...

Linux uses the concept of terminals to work, or virtual terminals.

The Ubuntu default I think is up to 7. You get to them by hitting alt-f1
through alt-f6. X windows works a little different; when running it is
running in virtual terminal 7, and the keystroke requires
control-alt-f<#> to get to a console. From the console, hitting alt-f7
should get you back into your running X session.

Each session will require you to log into it.

X IS NOT EXITED when you do this, so don't panic. From a console, you
can hit alt-f7 to get back to your session. From X,
control-alt-f<whatever> will pop you back to that particular console
session.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org