Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
whoosh

Default Ubuntu gcc header files missing

On 31-Jul-08 17:57:01 Shrikar archak wrote:
>U need to install libstdc6 to get the header files they are not installed by
>default. U can use synaptic to get it installed

what shell command will install it?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
whoosh

On 31-Jul-08 18:01:11 Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>Hi,

>whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>> HOWEVER, trying gcc with eg:
>> test.c which is just:
>>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> gcc cannot find <stdio.h>

>You probably did not install the C library headers. Install the package
>`libc6-dev' (or `build-essential' which will also install some other
>helpful programs).

what is the best way to install `build-essential' ?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> what is the best way to install `build-essential' ?

short answer - aptitude install build essential

long answer - anybody interesting in working with c probably might
want to start learning how to use google and the 'man' command.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:40 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31-Jul-08 17:57:01 Shrikar archak wrote:
>>U need to install libstdc6 to get the header files they are not installed by
>>default. U can use synaptic to get it installed
>
> what shell command will install it?
>
>>Rgds,
>>Shrikar
>
>>On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> I at last installed Ubuntu Desktop 8.04.1
>>>
>>> one useful thing is it has generated a full bootloader for ALL
>>>
>>> my bootable partitions.
>>>

>>> HOWEVER, trying gcc with eg:
>>>

>>> test.c which is just:
>>>

>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>>

>>> gcc cannot find <stdio.h>
>>>
>>> ALL C compilers should find <stdio.h>
>>>
>>> that header goes all the way back to the invention of C.
>>>
>>> this is x86_64-linux-gnu gcc 4.2.3
>>>

>>> gcc -v -c test.c -o test.o
>>>
>>> shows the search path, the only search directories which exist are:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/include
>>>
>>> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include
>>>
>>> /usr/include
>>>
>>> NONE of which are any use.
>>>

>>> --

I usually:
sudo apt-get build-essential

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> what is the best way to install `build-essential' ?
>
> short answer - aptitude install build essential
>
> long answer - anybody interesting in working with c probably might
> want to start learning how to use google and the 'man' command.

Oh for @*$&(*&*%%&^ sake - I'm an idiot

Let's try that again.

short answer - sudo aptitude install build-essential

<off to slap my wrist with a wet noodle>

Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:51:23 -0400
"Brie Gordon" <brie.gordon@gmail.com> wrote:

> I usually:
> sudo apt-get build-essential

Should be:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Peter Garrett
<peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:51:23 -0400
> "Brie Gordon" <brie.gordon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I usually:
>> sudo apt-get build-essential
>
> Should be:
>
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
>
> Peter
>
> --
> "INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net
> Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

Duh. Sorry.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
whoosh

On 31-Jul-08 18:53:37 Brian McKee wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:41 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>> what is the best way to install `build-essential' ?
>>
>> short answer - aptitude install build essential
>>
>> long answer - anybody interesting in working with c probably might
>> want to start learning how to use google and the 'man' command.

>Oh for @*$&(*&*%%&^ sake - I'm an idiot

>Let's try that again.

>short answer - sudo aptitude install build-essential

><off to slap my wrist with a wet noodle>

and this will work on say Fedora 9 or is it just for Ubuntu?

(trying to have parallel F9 and Ubuntu installs, for better portability and
to get the best of both worlds so to speak)

Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 AM
"Chris Mohler"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:10 PM, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31-Jul-08 18:53:37 Brian McKee wrote:
>>>
>>> short answer - aptitude install build essential
>>>
>>> long answer - anybody interesting in working with c probably might
>>> want to start learning how to use google and the 'man' command.
>
>>Oh for @*$&(*&*%%&^ sake - I'm an idiot
>
>>Let's try that again.
>
>>short answer - sudo aptitude install build-essential
>
>><off to slap my wrist with a wet noodle>
>
> and this will work on say Fedora 9 or is it just for Ubuntu?

Fedora uses yum instead of apt.

I don't have a Fedora box to look at the moment, but this should work (as root):
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

if that doesn't work, try "yum grouplist" and looking for the dev
tools group. I doubt that build-essential and "Development Tools" are
really parallel, but that should pull down many of the same packages.
I think this command pulls down the kernel sources and tons of devel
libraries:
yum groupinstall "Development Libraries"

The Fedora mailing list is quite helpful if you run into problems.

Chris

Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Peter Garrett
<peter.garrett@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Should be:
>
> sudo apt-get install build-essential

That begs a question. I come from a Debian environment, and we've (at
least since Etch) been using aptitude all the time rather than
apt-get. So, I've been substituting aptitude for apt-get when
installing stuff. Why are all the instructions for software
installation on Ubuntu (that I've run across so far) telling people to
use apt-get rather than aptitude?