-   -   NTFS imaging (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/135219-ntfs-imaging.html)

Dereck Wonnacott 07-31-2008 04:02 PM

NTFS imaging

"Brie Gordon" 07-31-2008 04:08 PM

NTFS imaging

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Dereck Wonnacott <dereck@gmail.com> wrote:

Try FOG:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

"Vitorio Okio" 07-31-2008 04:21 PM

NTFS imaging

"Dereck Wonnacott" <dereck@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4891E21C.9070800@gmail.com...

> I'm looking for an open source replacement for Norton Ghost. I
> specifically want to image NTFS partitions without having to copy
> unallocated space. Incremental imaging is a plus but not required.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

http://www.clonezilla.org/

It's really very fast, reliable and produces small image files.
Comparing with "freeghost", it's in active development and
progressing.

IMHO it is way better then Norton Ghost is. One just need to learn
and addapt to its interface.

Rashkae 07-31-2008 04:24 PM

NTFS imaging

Dereck Wonnacott wrote:
> I'm looking for an open source replacement for Norton Ghost. I
> specifically want to image NTFS partitions without having to copy
> unallocated space. Incremental imaging is a plus but not required.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

ntfstools although, last I checked, they weren't updated for Vista ntfs
yet. (last I checked was, admittedly, a long time ago)

Bart Silverstrim 07-31-2008 08:40 PM

NTFS imaging

Dereck Wonnacott wrote:

> I'm looking for an open source replacement for Norton Ghost. I
> specifically want to image NTFS partitions without having to copy
> unallocated space. Incremental imaging is a plus but not required.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

What we do for cloning lab rollouts...

install a system, configure it as desired.

Boot RIPlinux (Rescue-is-possible) with X

use gparted to shrink the partition (some other machines may have
smaller drives, if all your drives are larger or equal to the clone
template this isn't a worry)

mount a SMB share, although you should be able to use a USB drive or one
of a couple other sources to save to.

use partimage to save the partition as a compressed image to
/mnt/sharename, or wherever you want to store the image. It'll throw a
warning about NTFS support being experimental; we've rolled out hundreds
of machines and haven't had a problem with this.

on the destination machine, boot RIPLinux and use partimage to restore
the image to the blank system.

Use gparted to resize the partition to fill the drive.

Boot Windows, run a freeware program called "newsid" (google it to find
the download) to give a unique SID to the system and change the name of
the machine to prevent network collisions with NetBIOS.

Done. Modify as needed if you're looking for make backups instead.

-Bart