Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Default Ubuntu Server 8.04

Hi

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server edition

I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

I could find all the packages in /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/

How can i install it from the CD, I dont have GUI on this host.

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server edition
>
> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
>
> I could find all the packages in /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/
>
> How can i install it from the CD, I dont have GUI on this host.

What is "it"?

Do you want to add the CD to the list of packet repositories?
If so, you should check if the CD is not already listed there
(/etc/apt/sources.list), which is very likely if you installed from this
CD. If an entry for the CD is missing, use apt-cdrom to create one.
man apt-cdrom

Do you simply want to install software using the command line?
If so, use apt-get or aptitude
man apt-get
man aptitude

Read
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/

Regards
mks

Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server edition

> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

> I could find all the packages in /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/

> How can i install it from the CD, I dont have GUI on this host.

What is "it"?

Do you want to add the CD to the list of packet repositories?

If so, you should check if the CD is not already listed there

(/etc/apt/sources.list), which is very likely if you installed from this

CD. If an entry for the CD is missing, use apt-cdrom to create one.

man apt-cdrom

Do you simply want to install software using the command line?

If so, use apt-get or aptitude

man apt-get

man aptitude

Read

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/

Regards

*mks

Hi mks

I have installed the Ubuntu 8.04 server. My question is I have mounted the Server 8.04 CD mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
and i could see all the packages under /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/

My question was How can i install it on my system

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markus Schönhaber <
> ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
>
>> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server edition
>>>
>>> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
>>>
>>> I could find all the packages in /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/
>>>
>>> How can i install it from the CD, I dont have GUI on this host.

>> What is "it"?

> I have installed the Ubuntu 8.04 server. My question is I have mounted the
> Server 8.04 CD mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
> and i could see all the packages under /mnt/cdrom/pool/main/
>
> My question was How can i install it on my system

Again: what is "it" that you want to install?
What *exactly* do you want to achieve?

From my previous answer it should be pretty clear that I'm not sure I
understand what you want to know. If the information I gave you there
was not helpful to you, then we can replace "I'm not sure" with "I
definitely don't".
Why do you think asking the same question with almost exactly the same
wording again would be useful? I have already read it when you posed it
the first time.

Did you read the Ubuntu server guide I pointed you to?
As a last WAG: does
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/configuration.html
help?

Regards
mks

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Markus Schönhaber
<ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markus Schönhaber <
>> ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

>>> What is "it"?

You two are definitely talking 'past' one another. I think English
comprehension might be an issue (no worries - I'm hopelessly
monolingual :-)

Is it possible that he wants to install a GUI - a 'desktop' - on top
of Ubuntu Server?

If so, and *assuming* we want a typical GUI desktop - try 'sudo
aptitude install ubuntu-desktop' or do some googling on all the
different desktops you could install and pick one of those.

HTH and isn't adding noise.

Brian

Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Markus Schönhaber

<ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markus Schönhaber <

>> ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

>>> What is "it"?

You two are definitely talking 'past' one another. *I think English

comprehension might be an issue (no worries - I'm hopelessly

monolingual :-)

Is it possible that he wants to install a GUI - a 'desktop' - *on top

of Ubuntu Server?

If so, and *assuming* we want a typical GUI desktop - try 'sudo

aptitude install ubuntu-desktop' *or do some googling on all the

different desktops you could install and pick one of those.

HTH and isn't adding noise.

Brian

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition on my system
After the installation I found that most of the packages were not installed
I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom* and then did cd /mnt/cdrom/pool/main and found that in the directory all the packages

How can i install these packages on to my system

Hope it is clear this time

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition on my system
> After the installation I found that most of the packages were not installed
> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom and then did cd /mnt/cdrom/pool/main and
> found that in the directory all the packages
> How can i install these packages on to my system

To manually install .deb packages you use the 'dpkg' command - try 'man dpkg'

Server OS's traditionally install very little - they expect you to
install only what you need rather than everything.

You might find 'tasksel' helpful - see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel

Brian

Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition on my system
>> After the installation I found that most of the packages were not installed
>> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom and then did cd /mnt/cdrom/pool/main and
>> found that in the directory all the packages
>> How can i install these packages on to my system
>
> To manually install .deb packages you use the 'dpkg' command - try 'man dpkg'
>
> Server OS's traditionally install very little - they expect you to
> install only what you need rather than everything.
>
> You might find 'tasksel' helpful - see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel
>
> Brian

I think I get it.
Are you saying that you browsed the packages and noticed that most of
the packages in the directory were not installed?
There are a lot of packages there and you do not need them all. The
installation will provide you with ones you need and as you come
across others that you need, you can add them using:
apt-get install package-name.

HTH.

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:22:41 +0530
"Kaushal Shriyan" <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom and then did cd /mnt/cdrom/pool/main and
> found that in the directory all the packages
> How can i install these packages on to my system

As others have said, you probably want the "apt-cdrom" command to tell
the system about the packages on the CD. But it is likely that the CD
is already in your /etc/apt/sources.list file since this is the CD you
used for your install.

I would strongly suggest that you read a bit about the "apt" and
"aptitude" tools - for example:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptitudeSurvivalGuide
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
"Kaushal Shriyan"

Hi

when i rebooted Ubuntu 8.04 Server, the /tmp folders got cleaned up.
Is there a way i can prevent it from cleaning it up.

Also I know that the /tmp directory should not be used for storing important files.

Any ideas ?

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal