Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
"Fabio T. Leitao"

Default Ubuntu Server 8.04

I am pretty sure it was designed that way in ubuntu

The place to keep variable files, accessible by many, and kept over
the boots, is the /var

About Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

About the /tmp: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE17

Also: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/tmp.html

And about the /var: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE31

Also: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/var.html

I have also found this article which describes how to reconfigure the
persistence of the /tmp that might help you under Ubuntu

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/01/19/changing-the-tmp-cleanup-frequency/

--

Fábio Leitão, RCDD

Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Aaron Toponce

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> when i rebooted Ubuntu 8.04 Server, the /tmp folders got cleaned up.
> Is there a way i can prevent it from cleaning it up.

Install the 'tmpreaper' package, then configure it to clean files up
every 10 days instead of every reboot, or something similar.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member