Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Paul & Brenda

Default Printing on Brother MFC 420CN

Totally new to Linux and using 7.10 on an AMD 64 machine.
I have a windows Vista PC connected to a Netgear Wireless Router
and this Ubuntu PC connected via a LAN cable into the router port 4.
The printer setup says the printer is there, and when I try to print a
test message the printer LAN says it is receiving data, then nothing
happens. The Ubuntu network tool pings the printer address at
192.168.10.4 perfectly with no errors and the Windows PC prints
perfectly (the full printer address according to windows is
191.168.10.4.9100.

The driver downloaded as recommended for this printer from Brother is
/Brother DCP-1200 Foomatic/hl1250 (recommended).

/Can anyone help please and please remember I am not familiar with Linux
(yet)

Paul

Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
NoOp

On 12/05/2007 11:45 AM, Paul & Brenda wrote:
> Totally new to Linux and using 7.10 on an AMD 64 machine.
> I have a windows Vista PC connected to a Netgear Wireless Router
> and this Ubuntu PC connected via a LAN cable into the router port 4.
> The printer setup says the printer is there, and when I try to print a
> test message the printer LAN says it is receiving data, then nothing
> happens. The Ubuntu network tool pings the printer address at
> 192.168.10.4 perfectly with no errors and the Windows PC prints
> perfectly (the full printer address according to windows is
> 191.168.10.4.9100.
>
> The driver downloaded as recommended for this printer from Brother is
> /Brother DCP-1200 Foomatic/hl1250 (recommended).
>
> /Can anyone help please and please remember I am not familiar with Linux
> (yet)
>
> Paul

Remove whatever you've installed in Ubuntu.

I just installed my son's MFC-420CN during the Thanksgiving weekend. The
printer is connected to a simple hub & install (7.10) went without a
hitch. The only tricky bit was getting the scanner to work, but once I
actually read the instructions on the Brother site, I got that working
without any problems as well.

Install the LPR:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/lpr_drivers.html
[scroll down to the MFC-420CN use the Debian version of course]
After you've downloaded, open up the Nautilus browser & double-click on
the debian .deb that you've downloaded. That will open the installer -
click install. You can also do this from the command line:
$ sudo dpkg -i <deb file name>
Now install the CUPS driver (below).

Install the CUPS driver:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de
Click on the Debian driver for the MFC-420CN, download and install just
as you did for the LPR.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_wrapper_install.html

Scanner:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/sane_drivers.html
Be sure to download *both* the scan key tool *and* the brscan2 driver:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/sane_drivers.html
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/sane_install-net.html
[scroll down to "For Debian Users"]

Be sure to follow the instructions.
In #1 be sure to precede with the 'sudo' command: 'sudo apt-get install
sane xsane'.
In in #3 You will use brsaneconfig2:

brsaneconfig2 -a name=FRIENDLY-NAME model=MODEL-NAME ip=xx.xx.xx.xx

Example - you enter the following from a terminal
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal:

sudo brsaneconfig2 -a name=PaulsPrinter model=MFC-420CN ip=192.168.10.4

Enjoy :-) I wish other printer manufacturers would provide linux drivers
like Brother. Makes me want to seriously consider Brother if my Canon
MP750 (with no network or linux support) ever breaks down.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
NoOp

On 12/06/2007 09:41 AM, NoOp wrote:

> Enjoy :-) I wish other printer manufacturers would provide linux drivers
> like Brother. Makes me want to seriously consider Brother if my Canon
> MP750 (with no network or linux support) ever breaks down.

Forgot to add that I assume you know how to then connect the printer:

System|Administration|Printing|Server Settings| tick 'Show printers
shared by other systems', then check under 'Remote Printers'.