Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Milt Keen

Default Modem driver

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92
modem. I cannot find a linux driver for the modem. I would like to
abandon Vista but at present am having to revert to MS to use modem. I
only have dial up.
Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Res

http://www.linuxant.com

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
a nicer place.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Karl Larsen

Milt Keen wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92
> modem. I cannot find a linux driver for the modem. I would like to
> abandon Vista but at present am having to revert to MS to use modem. I
> only have dial up.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Many thanks.

Sorry but no drivers for WIN modems. They are made cheap and use the
Windows cpu and memory to work. That is why they work with only Windows.

Buy a modem that plugs into a USB port. That will also work with Linux.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Res

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Milt Keen wrote:
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92
>> modem. I cannot find a linux driver for the modem. I would like to
>> abandon Vista but at present am having to revert to MS to use modem. I
>> only have dial up.
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>

> Sorry but no drivers for WIN modems. They are made cheap and use the
> Windows cpu and memory to work. That is why they work with only Windows.
>
> Buy a modem that plugs into a USB port. That will also work with Linux.

What rubbish, drivers have been available for years, see my followup to
him, and they work perfect with slackware and ubuntu

Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

Karl, that's not correct about not having drivers for
winmodems for the Linux OS. Maybe Ubuntu doesn't have
them but Conexant(hope spelling is right) does for
most. I've used my built in winmodem for dialup on
several computers and versions of Debian and Ubuntu
from the time I first started using linux. I stopped
using dialup when broadband became available in my
area about two yrs. ago. Sure, they may be 3rd party
drivers but they work.

Len
--- Karl Larsen <k5di@

zianet.com> wrote:

> Milt Keen wrote:
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a conexant
> HDA D330 MDC v.92
> > modem. I cannot find a linux driver for the
> modem. I would like to
> > abandon Vista but at present am having to revert
> to MS to use modem. I
> > only have dial up.
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >

> Sorry but no drivers for WIN modems. They are
> made cheap and use the
> Windows cpu and memory to work. That is why they
> work with only Windows.
>
> Buy a modem that plugs into a USB port. That
> will also work with Linux.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
> Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> Linux User
> #450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23
> 53A7

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
"Mumia W."

On 07/30/2008 02:21 PM, Milt Keen wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with a conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92
> modem. I cannot find a linux driver for the modem. I would like to
> abandon Vista but at present am having to revert to MS to use modem. I
> only have dial up.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Many thanks.

Visit this site:
http://linmodems.org/

It's likely there is a driver for your modem.