-   -   Problem with USB (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/134802-problem-usb.html)

"Mario Spinthiras" 07-30-2008 11:48 PM

Problem with USB

File permissions on /media maybe? ls -al /media/. please

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:

It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE

PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests

I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to

format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.

Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com

http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!

Brian McKee wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others

>> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.

>> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as

>> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find

>> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.

>> So does anyone have any ideas?

> gutsy or hardy or *?

> I remember vaguely issues like that in gutsy.

> Brian

It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE

PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests

I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to

format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.

Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com

http://www.pabrown.ca/

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
http://www.spinthiras.net/

"Mark Haney" 07-31-2008 11:04 AM

Problem with USB

Pat Brown wrote:
> It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE
> PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests
> I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to
> format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.
>
> Pat Brown
> pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!
>

> Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
>>> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
>>> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
>>> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
>>> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
>>> So does anyone have any ideas?
>>>

>> gutsy or hardy or ?
>>
>> I remember vaguely issues like that in gutsy.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE
> PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests
> I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to
> format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.

If you can read and write to it from your EEE PC, then it's not
corrupt. It's obviously something with the settings on your system
that's mounting it as RO. Try mounting it manually with RW and see what
happens.

--
Mark Haney
mhaney@ercbroadband.org

16:31:50 up 3 days, 6:20, 2 users, load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85

Pat Brown 07-31-2008 11:16 AM

Problem with USB

Mark Haney wrote:
> Pat Brown wrote:
>
>> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
>> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
>> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
>> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
>> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
>> So does anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Just for fun, have you tried to unmount it and remount it (manually)
> with the rw flag set? Do you have anything in /etc/fstab that is
> associated to the mount point your flash drive is using? What does
> /etc/mtab say when it's mounted?

I've mounted and remounted it a few times. The permissions are drwx. I
have a second USB which works fine, no read-only issues. I can also use
this USB in my ASUS EEE PC with no issues. Thanks to all for your
suggestions.

"Mark Haney" 07-31-2008 03:43 PM

Problem with USB

Pat Brown wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>

>> Just for fun, have you tried to unmount it and remount it (manually)
>> with the rw flag set? Do you have anything in /etc/fstab that is
>> associated to the mount point your flash drive is using? What does
>> /etc/mtab say when it's mounted?
>>

> I've mounted and remounted it a few times. The permissions are drwx. I
> have a second USB which works fine, no read-only issues. I can also use
> this USB in my ASUS EEE PC with no issues. Thanks to all for your
> suggestions.

Okay,correct me if I'm wrong, but if that really is the perms on the
drive, why do you say it's read only? Based on what you say the perms
are (drwx) the owner has total permissions for that drive. You don't
give the entire permissions line like:

drwxr-xr-x 2 markh markh 4096 2007-06-07 20:34 Templates

So I can't tell if maybe the your user isn't the owner (or a member of
the owner group) and that the 'all others' permissions (the last 3 on
that line, mine above for all others is READ and EXECUTE) is read only.
Keep in mind the permissions you've listed also show that it's a
directory, so anything under that directory may not be RW. Can you post
the entire line of that mounted drive?

I really think this is something simple related to the system that's
having trouble, rather than a corrupt flash drive.

"Brian McKee" 07-31-2008 04:54 PM

Problem with USB

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> Pat Brown wrote:
>>> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
>>> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
>>> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
>>> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
>>> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
>>> So does anyone have any ideas?

Copy the files off of it, and reformat it. Give it a different name.
See if it reoccurs....

Brian