Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
"Brian McKee"

Default vi almost unusable in recovery console

Hi All

I'm trying to edit an fstab with vi using the ubuntu alternate cd's
'recover a broken system' option.
I'm using the alternate cd because this system has a mix of regular
and LVM partitions, and IIRC the live cd doesn't grok that.

The problem is the console it drops you into has a term type of
'bterm' or similar, which vi guesses is ansi - with very mixed
results. The screen doesn't refresh properly etc etc. So, two
questions:

1 - is there any way to get a better terminal? or a different TERM I
can tell vi it is for better results?

2 - what the heck package would I report a bug against? or am I
wishing for the impossible?

(yes, that's four questions - sue me :-)

Note that nano doesn't work right either - and emacs isn't available.

Comments? Suggestions?

Brian

Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 18:40 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to edit an fstab with vi using the ubuntu alternate cd's
> 'recover a broken system' option.
> I'm using the alternate cd because this system has a mix of regular
> and LVM partitions, and IIRC the live cd doesn't grok that.
>
> The problem is the console it drops you into has a term type of
> 'bterm' or similar, which vi guesses is ansi - with very mixed
> results. The screen doesn't refresh properly etc etc. So, two
> questions:
>
> 1 - is there any way to get a better terminal? or a different TERM I
> can tell vi it is for better results?
>
> 2 - what the heck package would I report a bug against? or am I
> wishing for the impossible?

Try this:

export TERM=linux

That is the terminal type of the virtual consoles. If that does not
work then use 'ex' or 'ed'. 'ed' is a primitive line editor which I use
as a fallback when I cannot get a fullscreen editor to work. 'ex' is
vi's line mode with similar commands as 'ed'. The manual page for 'ed'
has a reasonable overview of the command syntax.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 03:40 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to edit an fstab with vi using the ubuntu alternate cd's
> 'recover a broken system' option.
> I'm using the alternate cd because this system has a mix of regular
> and LVM partitions, and IIRC the live cd doesn't grok that.
>
> The problem is the console it drops you into has a term type of
> 'bterm' or similar, which vi guesses is ansi - with very mixed
> results. The screen doesn't refresh properly etc etc. So, two
> questions:
>
> 1 - is there any way to get a better terminal? or a different TERM I
> can tell vi it is for better results?
>
> 2 - what the heck package would I report a bug against? or am I
> wishing for the impossible?
>
> (yes, that's four questions - sue me :-)
>
> Note that nano doesn't work right either - and emacs isn't available.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>
> Brian

Try editing using nano:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Very simple & easy to use.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/30/2008 03:40 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm trying to edit an fstab with vi using the ubuntu alternate cd's
>> 'recover a broken system' option.

>> The problem is the console it drops you into has a term type of
>> 'bterm'

>> 1 - is there any way to get a better terminal? or a different TERM I
>> can tell vi it is for better results?

>> 2 - what the heck package would I report a bug against? or am I
>> wishing for the impossible?

>> Note that nano doesn't work right either - and emacs isn't available.

> Try editing using nano:
> sudo nano /etc/fstab

Nano doesn't work. Vi with the combinations I tried of vt100, linux,
ansi and using vi -T dumb - none of them work right.
You make a couple of changes and parts of the screen don't change so
what you see isn't what's actually there.

It makes the rescue console useless in my opinion.
I'll have to try System Rescue CD or something else that grok's LVM for now.

I'm off to file a bug - wish I knew what the right package to complain
about was.
I'm kinda shocked nobody's noticed this before. Maybe I'm missing
something obvious - or maybe everybody just uses the live cd for this
stuff normally.

Brian

Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
"Tommy Trussell"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/30/2008 03:40 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I'm trying to edit an fstab with vi using the ubuntu alternate cd's
>>> 'recover a broken system' option.
>
>>> The problem is the console it drops you into has a term type of
>>> 'bterm'
>
>>> 1 - is there any way to get a better terminal? or a different TERM I
>>> can tell vi it is for better results?
>
>>> 2 - what the heck package would I report a bug against? or am I
>>> wishing for the impossible?
>
>>> Note that nano doesn't work right either - and emacs isn't available.
>
>> Try editing using nano:
>> sudo nano /etc/fstab
>
> Nano doesn't work. Vi with the combinations I tried of vt100, linux,
> ansi and using vi -T dumb - none of them work right.
> You make a couple of changes and parts of the screen don't change so
> what you see isn't what's actually there.
>
> It makes the rescue console useless in my opinion.
> I'll have to try System Rescue CD or something else that grok's LVM for now.
>
> I'm off to file a bug - wish I knew what the right package to complain
> about was.
> I'm kinda shocked nobody's noticed this before. Maybe I'm missing
> something obvious - or maybe everybody just uses the live cd for this
> stuff normally.

Just a "WAG" but it sounds to me like the console might not be
compatible with your video hardware for some reason. Obviously from
the Alternate CD there's no GUI involved, so you're talking pretty
low-level linux stuff when you're talking about the console. I haven't
looked at the Alternate CD in awhile, but you might check for some
additional tricks that can be added to the command line when you boot.
If you have ever looked at the help screens for a Knoppix disk you'll
see some of the kinds of things I'm talking about.

In fact, you might find the task easier with a Knoppix CD -- in the
past I've found Knoppix to boot successfully on a wider range of
hardware than just about any other distro.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
NoOp

On 07/31/2008 10:36 AM, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Note that nano doesn't work right either - and emacs isn't available.
I should have ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ read :-)

>> Try editing using nano:
>> sudo nano /etc/fstab
>
> Nano doesn't work. Vi with the combinations I tried of vt100, linux,
> ansi and using vi -T dumb - none of them work right.
> You make a couple of changes and parts of the screen don't change so
> what you see isn't what's actually there.
>
> It makes the rescue console useless in my opinion.
> I'll have to try System Rescue CD or something else that grok's LVM for now.

Try booting to Recovery mode; there you will be given a menu option to
drop to a root shell. From there you should be able to use nano or vi.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 PM
NoOp

On 07/31/2008 10:36 AM, Brian McKee wrote:

> I'm off to file a bug - wish I knew what the right package to complain
> about was.
> I'm kinda shocked nobody's noticed this before. Maybe I'm missing
> something obvious - or maybe everybody just uses the live cd for this
> stuff normally.
>
> Brian

I just loaded up "rescue a broken system" and see what you mean. FYI:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nano/+bug/154396
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/35400
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/228249

If you have a working network connection on the machine:

# apt-get install bogl-bterm

That installs bterm and thereafter you will be able to use vi or nano in
"rescue a broken system". This is a pretty serious bug IMO as you
shouldn't have to have a network connection the "rescue a broken system".

Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 3:35 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/31/2008 10:36 AM, Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> I'm off to file a bug - wish I knew what the right package to complain
>> about was.
>> I'm kinda shocked nobody's noticed this before. Maybe I'm missing
>> something obvious - or maybe everybody just uses the live cd for this
>> stuff normally.
> I just loaded up "rescue a broken system" and see what you mean. FYI:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nano/+bug/154396
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/35400
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/228249

Your Launchpad foo is better than mine - I only spotted some of those.

My bug is https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/253758

> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
> That installs bterm and thereafter you will be able to use vi or nano in
> "rescue a broken system". This is a pretty serious bug IMO as you
> shouldn't have to have a network connection the "rescue a broken system".

Aha ! Thank you - that does help me out. I hadn't realized the
problem was that bterm wasn't even installed.
Maybe that's why the other bugs that mention disabling framebuffer worked.

I'll update the bug.

Brian