Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Robert Perry

Default mp3gain

I am running Ubuntu 7.40 and have installed mp3gain. I also have
installed libc6 >= 2.5-Oubuntu1 which is required for it. I cannot get
mp3gain to run. I have used it in Windows and love it. I also have it
installed and running on my Mac but it will not run in Ubuntu. I do not
use Windows anymore. I can't stand its crashing.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Robert Perry

I typed wrong. I am running Ubuntu 7.04.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Peter Garrett

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:02:02 -0800
Robert Perry <k6gdi@razzolink.com> wrote:

> I am running Ubuntu 7.40 and have installed mp3gain. I also have
> installed libc6 >= 2.5-Oubuntu1 which is required for it. I cannot get
> mp3gain to run. I have used it in Windows and love it. I also have it
> installed and running on my Mac but it will not run in Ubuntu. I do not
> use Windows anymore. I can't stand its crashing.

I just installed mp3gain on Ubuntu 7.04, which you indicated in your other
email is what you are using.

mp3gain appears to be running...

I just did a

sudo apt-get install mp3gain

The current libc6 for 7.04 seems to be fine, and all that was installed
was about 50 KB, no extra dependencies:

$ apt-cache depends mp3gain
mp3gain
Depends: libc6

$ dpkg -l libc6 | grep ^ii
ii libc6 2.5-0ubuntu14 GNU C Library: Shared libraries

I'm not familiar with mp3gain, but using the -x flag as a test, it
appeared to do what it was supposed to do. What issue are you having?
Do you have any error messages when you run it?

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Robert Perry wrote:

> I am running Ubuntu 7.40 and have installed mp3gain. I also have
> installed libc6 >= 2.5-Oubuntu1 which is required for it. I cannot get
> mp3gain to run. I have used it in Windows and love it. I also have it
> installed and running on my Mac but it will not run in Ubuntu. I do not
> use Windows anymore. I can't stand its crashing.
Hi Robert,
You might try compiling mp3gain yourself. At worst you will get more
information about what the problem is. I just compiled it myself and it
works with no problems.
1. Go to the mp3gain website.
2. Grab the mp3gain-1_4_6-src.zip
3. Copy the file into an empty folder.
4. Unzip the file
5. open a console and navigate to that folder
6. At the prompt type make (there is no configure file - one size fits all)
That's it.
If all goes well you should see an mp3gain executable in that folder.
It it doesn't go well you should get loads of information about why not.
You'll need the package libc6-dev installed first if you don't already have
it. I use version 2.7-3 which is >= 2.5. Obviously you need gcc what I
assume you have that.
Have fun,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:42:05 +0100
Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:

> > I am running Ubuntu 7.40 and have installed mp3gain. I also have
> > installed libc6 >= 2.5-Oubuntu1 which is required for it. I cannot get
> > mp3gain to run. I have used it in Windows and love it. I also have it
> > installed and running on my Mac but it will not run in Ubuntu. I do not
> > use Windows anymore. I can't stand its crashing.
> Hi Robert,
> You might try compiling mp3gain yourself. At worst you will get more
> information about what the problem is. I just compiled it myself and it
> works with no problems.

As I said in an earlier post, I simply installed mp3gain with apt-get.
There was no problem, and it appears to run fine ( Ubuntu 7.04)

While compiling would be fairly simple, given that it requires only
libc6-dev, I can't really see the need.

In other words, I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Ubuntu
version of the mp3gain package. There are 6 bugs against mp3gain reported
on launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mp3gain/+bug/116036

Is the only confirmed one. Perhaps the OP should check against those bugs
and see if any of them parallel his problem?

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM
James Takac

On Thursday 06 December 2007 21:36:23 Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:42:05 +0100
>
> Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
> > > I am running Ubuntu 7.40 and have installed mp3gain. I also have
> > > installed libc6 >= 2.5-Oubuntu1 which is required for it. I cannot get
> > > mp3gain to run. I have used it in Windows and love it. I also have it
> > > installed and running on my Mac but it will not run in Ubuntu. I do
> > > not use Windows anymore. I can't stand its crashing.
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> > You might try compiling mp3gain yourself. At worst you will get more
> > information about what the problem is. I just compiled it myself and it
> > works with no problems.
>
> As I said in an earlier post, I simply installed mp3gain with apt-get.
> There was no problem, and it appears to run fine ( Ubuntu 7.04)
>
> While compiling would be fairly simple, given that it requires only
> libc6-dev, I can't really see the need.
>
> In other words, I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Ubuntu
> version of the mp3gain package. There are 6 bugs against mp3gain reported
> on launchpad.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mp3gain/+bug/116036
>
> Is the only confirmed one. Perhaps the OP should check against those bugs
> and see if any of them parallel his problem?
>
> Peter
>
> --
> "INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net
> Screenshots slideshow: http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

Hi Peter

Maybe we should be asking how he installed mp3gain? Might lead us to
understand why

James