Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Pat Brown

Default Problem with USB

I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
So does anyone have any ideas?

--

Pat Brown
pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com

L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Pat Brown wrote:
> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
> So does anyone have any ideas?

As I recall there are some USB sticks that have software (for Windows)
where you can set a r/w flag on the device to "protect" it. If this were
the case you'd need to use it in a Windows system with that software to
see if you can unset it or reformat it without the protection to see if
it'll work properly on the Linux system.

Could that be the case? What model is the drive in question?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Karl Larsen

Pat Brown wrote:
> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
> So does anyone have any ideas?

It appears the file system on your USB stick is read only. Do you
have another USB stick you could try? If both are read only then it
could be the laptop has those things in /dev set to read only. Not likely.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
"Mark Haney"

Pat Brown wrote:
> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
> So does anyone have any ideas?

Just for fun, have you tried to unmount it and remount it (manually)
with the rw flag set? Do you have anything in /etc/fstab that is
associated to the mount point your flash drive is using? What does
/etc/mtab say when it's mounted?

--
Mark Haney
mhaney@ercbroadband.org

16:31:50 up 3 days, 6:20, 2 users, load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
> So does anyone have any ideas?

gutsy or hardy or ?

I remember vaguely issues like that in gutsy.

Brian

Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Pat Brown

It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE
PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests
I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to
format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.