-   -   Cell BE SDK on Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/134619-cell-sdk-ubuntu.html)

"Chaman Singh Verma" 07-30-2008 06:20 PM

Cell BE SDK on Ubuntu

Hello,

I am interested in developing applications on Cell BE on my Intel Core 2 machine which
has Ubuntu 64bit OS installed.

I was able to download the simulator from IBM site, but it seems that IBM provides Cell

BE SDK only for RHEL5.1 and Fedora 7.

My question is:* Can I use this SDK on Ubuntu also ? Can someone give insights into
what are the differences and difficulties in porting RHEL5.1 and Fedora 7 to Ubuntu and

what could be the reasons that companies like IBM are sticking to only these two platform
instead of being general on OS.

Thanks.

Chaman Singh Verma
Poona, India

"Brian McKee" 07-31-2008 09:32 PM

Cell BE SDK on Ubuntu

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
> what are the differences and difficulties in porting RHEL5.1 and Fedora 7 to
> Ubuntu and
> what could be the reasons that companies like IBM are sticking to only these
> two platform
> instead of being general on OS.

While I'm not directly familiar with this case or IBM's management
decisions - I'd guess that they decided to target RHEL as it's the
'enterprise linux' currently that people most often pay for. Also
guessing here, but if they got it to run on RHEL5.1, Fedora 7 is
probably equivalent in all the areas that mattered, so they got that
one for free.

It can be tough for a company that wants to sell a linux product -
they have to pick and choose which versions to officially support
rather than saying it'll work everywhere. I don't know if this is
the case for this specific product, but often items like these will
work on other distros, they just don't support it. For instance, they
make a version of their AS/400 client access software for RHEL, but it
works fine under Ubuntu if you use alien on the rpms.

Brian

"Chaman Singh Verma" 09-07-2008 03:22 PM

Cell BE SDK on Ubuntu

Hello,

Can someone give feedback/experience of using CELL
BE SDK on ubuntu ? It seems that IBM require Fedora-7
for its SDK and I couldn't find the older version of Fedora. So if someone has tried CELL BE on ubuntu

and would like to share his/her experience, that will
be a great help to us.

Thanks.
csv