-   -   How and where to find i.e. HOSTS !? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/13453-how-where-find-i-e-hosts.html)

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux 12-06-2007 01:13 AM

How and where to find i.e. HOSTS !?

Hello Ubuntu Users / Experts
As a newbie I haven't realized how to find some specific files under
*x/Ubuntu ;-(

How can I search i.e HOSTS like I did till now:
dir hosts /s

I assumed to find it in folder network but seems wrong !?

Any hints and pointers are very appreciated ;-)
TIA & cheers, svobi

Ken McLennan 12-06-2007 01:43 AM

How and where to find i.e. HOSTS !?

G'day there Svobi,

> How can I search i.e HOSTS like I did till now:
> dir hosts /s
>
> I assumed to find it in folder network but seems wrong !?

You'll find your hosts file under /etc where Linux keeps most (if
not all) of its system settings.

See ya
Ken
Qld Australia

Gerald Dachs 12-06-2007 09:48 AM

Quoting SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>:

> How can I search i.e HOSTS like I did till now:
> dir hosts /s

find / -name hosts

Gerald

Derek Broughton 12-06-2007 12:53 PM

Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Quoting SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>:
>
>> How can I search i.e HOSTS like I did till now:
>> dir hosts /s
>
> find / -name hosts

if updatedb is running regularly (I don't know if it's standard in Ubuntu,
these days),

# locate hosts

is much faster.
--
derek

"Miano, Steven M." 12-06-2007 06:44 PM

How and where to find i.e. HOSTS !?

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
>
> > Quoting SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net>:
> >
> >> How can I search i.e HOSTS like I did till now:
> >> dir hosts /s
> >
> > find / -name hosts
>
> if updatedb is running regularly (I don't know if it's standard in Ubuntu,
> these days),
>
> # locate hosts
>
> is much faster.
> --
> derek

user@host: Whereis hosts

Would also be a bit quicker.

"Matt Morgan" 12-06-2007 08:49 PM

On Dec 6, 2007 2:44 PM, Miano, Steven M. <Steven.Miano@mybrighthouse.com> wrote:
> > Gerald Dachs wrote:

> > > find / -name hosts
> >
> > if updatedb is running regularly (I don't know if it's standard in Ubuntu,
> > these days),
> >
> > # locate hosts
> >
> > is much faster.
> > --
> > derek
>

> user@host: Whereis hosts
>
> Would also be a bit quicker.

And for newbies, I strongly recommend

man find
man locate
man whereis

so you know the difference. Since man pages can be pretty hard to
figure out before you get used to them (but try), I'll also explain

find -- does a million things and is great to know well
locate -- just finds files, quickly, as long as updatedb is running regularly
whereis -- finds only files in your PATH, so it's good for searching
for executables.

--Matt