Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 AM
James Takac

Default proxy question

Hi Guys

am wondering if it's possible to setup a proxy for lets say anon surfing and
still be able to do the updates online. In the past I tried and apt couldn't
get the upgrades forcing me to uninstall the proxy I had in place

James

Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 AM
debian

it is possible. The proxy at my school does.

But since you probably dont attend my school (which is a senior high
school), you could try Codeens CDN network, but some of the proxies
block apt, some dont, some block parts of apt.

--cj

Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 AM
debian

Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Lisa

Hi james,

To get apt to work through a proxy put this

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy_iproxy_port";

into a file, change the proxy_ip and proxy_port to suit your setup, and
save it as /etc/apt/apt.conf

apt will then use the proxy when fetching packages.

hth,
Lisa

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client on Ubuntu Linux

Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
James Takac

On Thursday 06 December 2007 12:18:40 debian wrote:
> it is possible. The proxy at my school does.
>
> But since you probably dont attend my school (which is a senior high
> school), you could try Codeens CDN network, but some of the proxies
> block apt, some dont, some block parts of apt.
>
> --cj
>
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:13 +1000, James Takac wrote:
> > Hi Guys
> >
> > am wondering if it's possible to setup a proxy for lets say anon surfing
> > and still be able to do the updates online. In the past I tried and apt
> > couldn't get the upgrades forcing me to uninstall the proxy I had in
> > place
> >
> > James

Hi cj

Been 20+ years since I finished high school. Do you know any in the repos that
are likely to work? Or can apt be made to work with them? Actually noticed a
reply by someone else showing how to get apt to work with a proxy (thx Lisa)
which I'll try later

James