Old 07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Alan Milnes

Default What's up with aptitude?

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that ubuntu's package system is VERY out-dated.

Ubuntu 8.04 is an LTS release, which means it will be stable and
supported for a number of years. Changes are very carefully managed and
are mainly for security fixes etc. This is a *good* thing ESPECIALLY for
Servers.

You can have a look in Software Sources and enable proposed and
unsupported updates if you want to live at the edge - or download the
betas of Intrepid (the next Ubuntu version) and try it out.

Alan

Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 08:18 AM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that ubuntu's package system is VERY out-dated. For example,
> subversion 1.5 isn't even available yet! In order to get the latest
> software, I'm always having to manually download packages, compile them, and
> manage their install/removal by hand. This is turning out to be very
> frustrating. Why is SVN 1.4.6 still the latest in apt-get? Is there perhaps
> something I am missing? The latest GCC compiler isn't in apt-get either. Is
> there a way to get the latest software without actually doing it all by
> hand?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Server 8. I'm a newbie at Linux so don't be too rough with
> me.

Please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/benefits/lifecycle
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatIsubuntu/releases
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
"Robert Dailey"

Ubuntu 8.04 is an LTS release, which means it will be stable and

supported for a number of years. Changes are very carefully managed and

are mainly for security fixes etc. This is a *good* thing ESPECIALLY for

Servers.

You can have a look in Software Sources and enable proposed and

unsupported updates if you want to live at the edge - or download the

betas of Intrepid (the next Ubuntu version) and try it out.
Thanks for your help.

I think what I need to do is install Intrepid. This server of mine is only a small personal server that I use for a couple of things, so I don't mind a devel version of Ubuntu on it, if that's the way I have to go for the latest packages. Can I update my version of Ubuntu to Intrepid easily through PuTTY? If so, can you tell me where to start? Perhaps there's a tutorial I can read? Thanks again.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Alan Milnes

Robert Dailey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Alan Milnes <deep64blue@itguru.org.uk
> <mailto:deep64blue@itguru.org.uk>> wrote:
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 is an LTS release, which means it will be stable and
> supported for a number of years. Changes are very carefully managed and
> are mainly for security fixes etc. This is a *good* thing ESPECIALLY for
> Servers.
>
> You can have a look in Software Sources and enable proposed and
> unsupported updates if you want to live at the edge - or download the
> betas of Intrepid (the next Ubuntu version) and try it out.
>

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I think what I need to do is install Intrepid. This server of mine is
> only a small personal server that I use for a couple of things, so I
> don't mind a devel version of Ubuntu on it, if that's the way I have to
> go for the latest packages. Can I update my version of Ubuntu to
> Intrepid easily through PuTTY? If so, can you tell me where to start?
> Perhaps there's a tutorial I can read? Thanks again.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

Search for " How to upgrade from Hardy Heron to Intrepid Ibex"

Alan

Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Chris Pratt

Rather than run an entirely beta OS, your other option is to run this
"beta" software on 8.04 by modifying your source lists to allow the
backports to show up via update manager...

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Cody Herriges

If you want the most recent software all the time I would suggest a different version of Linux.
Something that is more of a rolling release schedule. http://www.archlinux.org/ is one of those
such Linuxes and is a favorite around the office for personal use, we still use Ubuntu on all our
production systems. Be aware you will need to get your hands a little more dirty is this OS but it
is well worth it. There wiki and community are amazing.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 11:12 -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:

> I think what I need to do is install Intrepid.

Note that Ubuntu development versions change at a more rapid pace and
more violently than the unstable branch of Debian. It is virtually
guaranteed that Intrepid will break more or less heavily at some point
before the Beta releases. Every other develoment version did.

Make sure that you have another computer where you can download packages
and look up help, that you have a Desktop CD handy to be able to boot
from CD, and that you have some knowledge for how to fix broken systems.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Derek Broughton

Robert Dailey wrote:

> I noticed that ubuntu's package system is VERY out-dated. For example,
> subversion 1.5 isn't even available yet!

That's hardly "very" outdated. I had considerable trouble finding a command
line client for 1.5 on Windows last week, after discovering that
TortoiseSVN had created my latest repository in 1.5 format and was
therefore not usable by some tools expecting 1.4.

In any case, intrepid has 1.5.1, and hardy doesn't and won't. Hardy has the
packages that were available (and tested) as of April this year.

> In order to get the latest
> software, I'm always having to manually download packages, compile them,
> and manage their install/removal by hand. This is turning out to be very
> frustrating.

If you're frustrated by not being that cutting edge, use intrepid. You'll
probably be sorry.

> Why is SVN 1.4.6 still the latest in apt-get? Is there
> perhaps something I am missing? The latest GCC compiler isn't in apt-get
> either.

Of course not. Hardy is a _STABLE_ release. You don't get the latest and
greatest software from stable releases. Sorry, but that ain't the way it
works.
--
derek