Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default How to know correct video drivers ?

Hello,

I have Intel Core 2 Duo machine and installed Ubuntu ( 64 bit). At present, rendering on my machine is very slow and executing "glxinfo" reports that direct rendeing is absent.

I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select from there.

What is the expected ( or best ) FPS rating on Intel Core 2 machine 2GB RAM for the glxgear program ?

Thanks.
Chaman Singh Verma
Poona, India

Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Nils Kassube

Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> I have Intel Core 2 Duo machine and installed Ubuntu ( 64 bit). At
> present, rendering on my machine is very slow and executing "glxinfo"
> reports that direct rendeing is absent.
>
> I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and
> I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select
> from there.

For direct rendering you need the proprietary Nvidia driver. See
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia> for details.

> What is the expected ( or best ) FPS rating on Intel Core 2 machine 2GB
> RAM for the glxgear program ?

That depends on the speed of your CPU and on your particular graphics
card. With my 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo and GeForce 7100 GS card I have about
1700 FPS with the initial window size and 32 Bit Kubuntu.

Nils

Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Chris Jones

>> I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and
>> I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select
>> from there.
>
> For direct rendering you need the proprietary Nvidia driver. See
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia> for details.

I the OP has not actually said what video card they have. You are
assuming here they have an nvidia card.

I would start here instead

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

I choose the instructions accordingly

Chris

Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 09:30 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and
>>> I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select
>>> from there.
>>
>> For direct rendering you need the proprietary Nvidia driver. See
>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia> for details.
>
> I the OP has not actually said what video card they have. You are
> assuming here they have an nvidia card.
>
> I would start here instead
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto
>
> I choose the instructions accordingly
>
> Chris

Correct - it's and onboard Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics
Controller. And he also has another thread "OpenGL glxgears demo
program" where I'm still waiting for him to provide:
<quote>
Also can you check via Synaptic for the video drivers you have
installed? Search on 'intel' & then click in the first box (to the left
of 'Package' - that will organize all of the installed one's at the top.
Now scroll to the installed xserver-xorg files an let me know which
one's you have installed. Also search on 'xgl' and let me know if if you
have any xserver-xgl installed.
</quote>

I reckon that since he's started a second thread that I no longer need
to try and assist him in his first thread.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Nils Kassube

Chris Jones wrote:
> I the OP has not actually said what video card they have. You are
> assuming here they have an nvidia card.

Right, somehow I thought I had read something about Nvidia. Probably I
mixed it up with a phone conversation about Nvidia cards I had just before
I answered that mail. Seems I'm getting old ...

Nils

Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 AM
"Raseel Bhagat"

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/30/2008 09:30 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

>>> I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and

>>> I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select

>>> from there.

>> For direct rendering you need the proprietary Nvidia driver. See

>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia> for details.

> I the OP has not actually said what video card they have. You are

> assuming here they have an nvidia card.

> I would start here instead

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

Take a look at Envy :
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Hello,
*
I don't have any external Graphics Card right now.
Only the standard graphics provided by Intel Motherboards.

csv

Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
"Victor Padro"

I don't have any external Graphics Card right now.
Only the standard graphics provided by Intel Motherboards.

csOk, but which Intel motherboard's model do you have?

*v

On 07/30/2008 09:30 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

>>> I was suspecting that may be some new drivers needs to be installed and

>>> I enter the software maze of "X.org", but I don't know what to select

>>> from there.

>> For direct rendering you need the proprietary Nvidia driver. See

>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia> for details.

> I the OP has not actually said what video card they have. You are

> assuming here they have an nvidia card.

> I would start here instead

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

Take a look at Envy :
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Thanks,
Raseel

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Here is the description of the motherboard:

* *-display UNCLAIMED
************ product: 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller

************ vendor: Intel Corporation
************ physical id: 2