Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
"Robert Dailey"

Default What's up with aptitude?

Hi,

I noticed that ubuntu's package system is VERY out-dated. For example, subversion 1.5 isn't even available yet! In order to get the latest software, I'm always having to manually download packages, compile them, and manage their install/removal by hand. This is turning out to be very frustrating. Why is SVN 1.4.6 still the latest in apt-get? Is there perhaps something I am missing? The latest GCC compiler isn't in apt-get either. Is there a way to get the latest software without actually doing it all by hand?

I'm using Ubuntu Server 8. I'm a newbie at Linux so don't be too rough with me.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Jensen Somers

Hi,

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that ubuntu's package system is VERY out-dated. For example,
> subversion 1.5 isn't even available yet! In order to get the latest
> software, I'm always having to manually download packages, compile
> them, and manage their install/removal by hand. This is turning out to
> be very frustrating. Why is SVN 1.4.6 still the latest in apt-get? Is
> there perhaps something I am missing? The latest GCC compiler isn't in
> apt-get either. Is there a way to get the latest software without
> actually doing it all by hand?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Server 8. I'm a newbie at Linux so don't be too rough
> with me.
Once a version of Ubuntu is released the software packages are no longer
updated. Only security fixes are uploaded to the repositories. It is
possible that newer versions of some software becomes available via the
backports repositories. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports for more information
about the Ubuntu Backports.

Otherwise you will have to wait for the next Ubuntu release in October,
or upgrade now to the unstable Ubuntu release.

- Jensen