-   -   Ripping mp3s.... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/134370-ripping-mp3s.html)

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 01:36 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Okay, so I figured out how to get Sound Juicer to rip at 160 (and 192)
on my laptop at home. Now I need to figure out how to change the
filenaming options. I'd like my mp3 to end up as "Track Name--Artist
Name.mp3". Must be in a config file somewhere.

Now, i have the additional challenge of figuring out why this Sound
Juicer install doesn't show mp3 or m4a encoding options. Must be
something not installed. Time to trawl through Synaptic....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 04:36 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Okay, so I figured out how to get Sound Juicer to rip at 160 (and 192)
> on my laptop at home. Now I need to figure out how to change the
> filenaming options. I'd like my mp3 to end up as "Track Name--Artist
> Name.mp3". Must be in a config file somewhere.
>
> Now, i have the additional challenge of figuring out why this Sound
> Juicer install doesn't show mp3 or m4a encoding options. Must be
> something not installed. Time to trawl through Synaptic....

Okay, got Sound Juicer ripping 192kbps mp3s on this box. But lo and
behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file... Grrr... While I
look, what are people's favorites for ripping & tagging in one shot?
Still haven't figured how to get it to name the files the way I want...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Chris Jones 07-30-2008 04:45 PM

Ripping mp3s....

> Okay, got Sound Juicer ripping 192kbps mp3s on this box. But lo and
> behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file... Grrr... While I
> look, what are people's favorites for ripping & tagging in one shot?
> Still haven't figured how to get it to name the files the way I want...

I don't use sound juicer - Couldn't get on with it.

I prefer kaudiocreator or grip. Both can name files however you want +
add the tags automatically (at least they did for me).

cheers Chris

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 04:56 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Chris Jones wrote:
>> Okay, got Sound Juicer ripping 192kbps mp3s on this box. But lo and
>> behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file... Grrr... While I
>> look, what are people's favorites for ripping & tagging in one shot?
>> Still haven't figured how to get it to name the files the way I want...
>

> I don't use sound juicer - Couldn't get on with it.
>
> I prefer kaudiocreator or grip. Both can name files however you want +
> add the tags automatically (at least they did for me).
>
> cheers Chris

Thanks, I'll give 'em a whirl...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Mario Vukelic 07-30-2008 05:49 PM

Ripping mp3s....

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 09:36 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Now I need to figure out how to change the
> filenaming options. I'd like my mp3 to end up as "Track Name--Artist
> Name.mp3". Must be in a config file somewhere.

Menu Edit > Preferences > Track Names? Though it might not have all the
formatting options you would like. In this case, type Alt+F2 for the
"Run ..." dialog and enter gconf-editor. Go to /apps/sound-juicer and
edit path_pattern.

An alternative would be to use the "grip" program for ripping. It is
harder to use but has nearly unlimited options.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping

Mario Vukelic 07-30-2008 05:50 PM

Ripping mp3s....

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:36 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> But lo and
> behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file

Hmmm. It does for me. Just FYI, I know this does not help much :)

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 05:59 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Okay, got Sound Juicer ripping 192kbps mp3s on this box. But lo and
>>> behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file... Grrr... While I
>>> look, what are people's favorites for ripping & tagging in one shot?
>>> Still haven't figured how to get it to name the files the way I want...
>>
>> I don't use sound juicer - Couldn't get on with it.
>>
>> I prefer kaudiocreator or grip. Both can name files however you want +
>> add the tags automatically (at least they did for me).
>>
>> cheers Chris
>>
> Thanks, I'll give 'em a whirl...

Well got Grip going, and it does add the tags. Now to decipher how to
change the naming scheme...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 06:25 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 09:36 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Now I need to figure out how to change the
>> filenaming options. I'd like my mp3 to end up as "Track Name--Artist
>> Name.mp3". Must be in a config file somewhere.
>
> Menu Edit > Preferences > Track Names? Though it might not have all the
> formatting options you would like. In this case, type Alt+F2 for the
> "Run ..." dialog and enter gconf-editor. Go to /apps/sound-juicer and
> edit path_pattern.

Thanks. BUt what I'm interested in is the file_pattern key... :)

> An alternative would be to use the "grip" program for ripping. It is
> harder to use but has nearly unlimited options.
>
>> Now, i have the additional challenge of figuring out why this Sound
>> Juicer install doesn't show mp3 or m4a encoding options. Must be
>> something not installed. Time to trawl through Synaptic....
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping

The one helpful page I didn't stumble upon. Thanks.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

"From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things
are everywhere."
--- Dr. Seuss

Dave Woyciesjes 07-30-2008 06:37 PM

Ripping mp3s....

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:36 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> But lo and
>> behold, it's doesn't stick the ID tags in the file
>
> Hmmm. It does for me. Just FYI, I know this does not help much :)

Actually, it does. It tells me that my Sound Juicer is borked in some
small manner. :)

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818