Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
"Lóránd Erik"

Default update without a password

Hi

How could i set that in ubuntu 8.04.1 that when an update comes, it just downloads&intalls in the background, without asking for a password?:S i already searched google:S not many luck, someone could help me?

bye& thank you!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
David Meireles

You can setup cron to run a scrip that runs apt-get update and the
apt-get dist-upgrade -y. Althrough, not recomended if you have to
interact with the update process (like, choosing an option, confirm
selections, etc...).

Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
"Lorand Erik"

is there no other way?:O

Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
"Brie Gordon"

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Lorand Erik <lammmer80@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there no other way?:O
>
> 2008/7/30 David Meireles <dmeireles@gmail.com>
>>
>> You can setup cron to run a scrip that runs apt-get update and the
>> apt-get dist-upgrade -y. Althrough, not recomended if you have to
>> interact with the update process (like, choosing an option, confirm
>> selections, etc...).
>>
>> Lóránd Erik escreveu:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > How could i set that in ubuntu 8.04.1 that when an update comes, it
>> > just downloads&intalls in the background, without asking for a
>> > password?:S i already searched google:S not many luck, someone could
>> > help me?
>> >
>> > bye& thank you!!!
>>
>> --

Check out this brainstorm:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/3955/

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
David Meireles

Well, if it's computer you support, not a computer of yours, you can via
ssh do the updates for yourself without the user even notice that... Or,
you can follow my suggestion, but something like once in one or two
months, do the updates yourself to see if something is pending for user
interaction.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 12:13 AM, Lóránd Erik wrote:
> Hi
>
> How could i set that in ubuntu 8.04.1 that when an update comes, it just
> downloads&intalls in the background, without asking for a password?:S i
> already searched google:S not many luck, someone could help me?
>
> bye& thank you!!!

System|Administration|Software Sources|Updates|Install security updates
without confirmation, or Download all updates in the background.

However, be aware that has side effects. If all of a sudden your system
slows to a crawl and your dsl link is maxed out, just remember that
you've turned this on :-)