-   -   Problem with dual boot ubunto/windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/134004-problem-dual-boot-ubunto-windows.html)

"Felipe DOMINGUEZ" 07-29-2008 10:06 PM

Problem with dual boot ubunto/windows

Hello.

I need some help to solve a windows problem :-(*** ( I know... this is ubuntu)

I did install ubuntu, and it works fine, the problem is that i want to have a dual boot, ubuntu/windows, I may need windows to run some applications.*

Initially I had windows on the laptop, and after installing ubuntu everything was fine. After playing a bit with ubuntu i decided to uninstall it and install it again. I use a tool called Boot Manager and a procedure I found in this list. I use it a few times and it was fine,* but there were an error once...

Afte that I installed ubunto and it works fine. But Window xp* do recognize anything on the computer. It can not be installed.

it gives me this error STOP: 0X0000007e

I have done a lot of search* but I cannot find a solution. I have tried with gparted, but it does not fix anything.

If any one have had the same problem and found a solution I would really appreciate if they tell me.

thanks in advance.

Felipe

--
Jamón de Guijuelo
Ibérico de Bellota, 3 años, 250€

www.tujamonencasa.com

"Felipe DOMINGUEZ" 07-30-2008 08:53 PM

Problem with dual boot ubunto/windows

Hello.

I made this post yesterday but I got no reply at all.

If any one could give me hint on where to start looking at that would help.

cheers

Felipe

"Donny George" 07-30-2008 09:03 PM

[...]

hey felipe

dont worry this forum will always help you, it has helped me too always.

so coming back to ur question, heres link
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm

and u can always give the keywords in google and u r sure to get links to the necessary webpages.

i am not an expert but i wen i did try the dual boot, i always installed the windows first, made some extra partition in the hard disk and assigned this extra space for the ubuntu. i guess this wud be safer bet

enjoy ur time with ubuntu

don

Leonard Chatagnier 07-30-2008 09:11 PM

Problem with dual boot ubunto/windows

Felipe, I don't know much about your WXP problem but
there are plenty of hits googling on the error you
mentioned. If you can boot up WXP in safe mode try
out some of the fixes from the early hits. Good luck.

Len
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I made this post yesterday but I got no reply at
> all.
>
> If any one could give me hint on where to start
> looking at that would help.
>
> cheers
>
> Felipe
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ <
> felipe.dominguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I need some help to solve a windows problem :-(
> ( I know... this is
> > ubuntu)
> >
> > I did install ubuntu, and it works fine, the
> problem is that i want to have
> > a dual boot, ubuntu/windows, I may need windows to
> run some applications.
> >
> > Initially I had windows on the laptop, and after
> installing ubuntu
> > everything was fine. After playing a bit with
> ubuntu i decided to uninstall
> > it and install it again. I use a tool called Boot
> Manager and a procedure I
> > found in this list. I use it a few times and it
> was fine, but there were an
> > error once...
> >
> > Afte that I installed ubunto and it works fine.
> But Window xp do recognize
> > anything on the computer. It can not be installed.
> >
> > it gives me this error STOP: 0X0000007e
> >
> > I have done a lot of search but I cannot find a
> solution. I have tried
> > with gparted, but it does not fix anything.
> >
> > If any one have had the same problem and found a
> solution I would really
> > appreciate if they tell me.
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > Felipe
> >

> > --
> > Jamn de Guijuelo
> > Ibrico de Bellota, 3 aos, 250?
> > www.tujamonencasa.com
> >

> --
> Jamn de Guijuelo
> Ibrico de Bellota, 3 aos, 250?
> www.tujamonencasa.com
> > --

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Karl Larsen 07-30-2008 09:15 PM

Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I made this post yesterday but I got no reply at all.
>
> If any one could give me hint on where to start looking at that would help.
>
> cheers
>
> Felipe
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ <
> felipe.dominguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I need some help to solve a windows problem :-( ( I know... this is
>> ubuntu)
>>
>> I did install ubuntu, and it works fine, the problem is that i want to have
>> a dual boot, ubuntu/windows, I may need windows to run some applications.
>>
>> Initially I had windows on the laptop, and after installing ubuntu
>> everything was fine. After playing a bit with ubuntu i decided to uninstall
>> it and install it again. I use a tool called Boot Manager and a procedure I
>> found in this list. I use it a few times and it was fine, but there were an
>> error once...
>>
>> Afte that I installed ubunto and it works fine. But Window xp do recognize
>> anything on the computer. It can not be installed.
>>
>> it gives me this error STOP: 0X0000007e
>>
>> I have done a lot of search but I cannot find a solution. I have tried
>> with gparted, but it does not fix anything.
>>
>> If any one have had the same problem and found a solution I would really
>> appreciate if they tell me.
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> Felipe
>>

>> --
>> Jamón de Guijuelo
>> Ibérico de Bellota, 3 años, 250€
>> www.tujamonencasa.com

You got no answer because no-one can figure out what you want. You
had a regular dual boot with Windows and then you did something and
re-loaded Windows and then Ubuntu fails to load. What heck! It was all
fine once. Go back to that.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

NoOp 07-30-2008 09:59 PM

On 07/30/2008 01:53 PM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I made this post yesterday but I got no reply at all.
>
> If any one could give me hint on where to start looking at that would help.
>
> cheers
>
> Felipe
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Felipe DOMINGUEZ <
> felipe.dominguez@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I need some help to solve a windows problem :-( ( I know... this is
>> ubuntu)
>>
>> I did install ubuntu, and it works fine, the problem is that i want to have
>> a dual boot, ubuntu/windows, I may need windows to run some applications.
>>
>> Initially I had windows on the laptop, and after installing ubuntu
>> everything was fine. After playing a bit with ubuntu i decided to uninstall
>> it and install it again. I use a tool called Boot Manager and a procedure I
>> found in this list. I use it a few times and it was fine, but there were an
>> error once...
>>
>> Afte that I installed ubunto and it works fine. But Window xp do recognize
>> anything on the computer. It can not be installed.
>>
>> it gives me this error STOP: 0X0000007e
>>
>> I have done a lot of search but I cannot find a solution. I have tried
>> with gparted, but it does not fix anything.

What version of Windows XP what type of processor?

A couple of possiblities:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818966
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113
<http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&query=0x0000007E& mode=r>

Leonard Bussey 07-30-2008 11:38 PM

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 00:06 +0200, Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:

> Initially I had windows on the laptop, and after installing ubuntu
> everything was fine. After playing a bit with ubuntu i decided to
> uninstall it and install it again. I use a tool called Boot Manager
> and a procedure I found in this list. I use it a few times and it was
> fine, but there were an error once...

It sounds like the XP master boot record is corrupted. If that is the
case follow these steps:

Boot the Windows XP CD
When the setup menu comes up press "R" to go to the recovery console
Select your Windows XP installation from the list
When prompted enter your administrator password
At the command prompt enter the following command without the
quotation marks "FIXMBR"
It will ask if you want to continue. Press Y to continue
Enter exit to reboot the computer

This should restore the master boot record and let you boot into XP.

After XP is restored, the following link will show you the procedures to
dual boot XP and Linux.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm

Hope this helps.