Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
"Chris Mohler"

Default Aircraft Flight simulator

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

> Using Synaptic Package Manager, I tried installing something called ACM
> but all it displays looks like an airport runway but it shows no
> aircraft or any kind of activity. From what I can tell it's some kind
> of Windows aerial combat program that is supposed to work in UBUNTU.
>
> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly combat
> with another aircraft?

flightgear is in the repositories. I don't think it has combat
though, and I haven't tried it in a year or so. You will need a
decent 3D card for fg.

A quick search turned up these - I haven't tried any of them out though:
gl-117 - An action flight simulator
gl-117-data - Data files for gl-117
sabre - fighter plane simulator for svgalib
sabre-common - data for the SABRE fighter plane simulator
searchandrescue - fly aircraft to search (for) and rescue people in distress
xsabre - fighter plane simulator for X11

Chris

Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly combat
> with another aircraft?

There certainly is, and it's pretty good for open source. It's called
flightgear.

It's a pretty hefty package, and you need a fast machine and good
accelerated graphics to make it work.

It seems to play rather well on my dual core athlon/6600 integrated
nvidia, but it crawled on my old athlon 1000 box.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Graham Martin

> 29th July elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote..
> Using Synaptic Package Manager, I tried installing something called >
> ACM but all it displays looks like an airport runway but it shows no
> aircraft or any kind of activity. From what I can tell it's some kind
> of Windows aerial combat program that is supposed to work in UBUNTU.
>
> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly > >
> combat with another aircraft?

Hi Elmo, Check this one out it is a radio controlled model planes
simulator and the older version 2.50 works with wine.
I don't know if the latest one will you can download a free demo version
and give it a try at. http://www.preflightsim.com/

Hope this is of some help... Regards Graham..

Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:47:20 +1000, Graham Martin wrote:

>> 29th July elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote.. Using Synaptic Package Manager,
>> I tried installing something called > ACM but all it displays looks
>> like an airport runway but it shows no aircraft or any kind of
>> activity. From what I can tell it's some kind of Windows aerial combat
>> program that is supposed to work in UBUNTU.
>>
>> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
>> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly > >
>> combat with another aircraft?
>
> Hi Elmo, Check this one out it is a radio controlled model planes
> simulator and the older version 2.50 works with wine. I don't know if
> the latest one will you can download a free demo version and give it a
> try at. http://www.preflightsim.com/
>
> Hope this is of some help... Regards Graham..

You could try fgfs (FlightGear Flight Simulator). You can fly with many
different airplanes (Sopwith Camel ... Boeing 747) but no combat.
Reasonible good representation of most airports in the world etc.

Aart

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
elmo

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:13 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Using Synaptic Package Manager, I tried installing something called ACM
>> but all it displays looks like an airport runway but it shows no
>> aircraft or any kind of activity. From what I can tell it's some kind
>> of Windows aerial combat program that is supposed to work in UBUNTU.
>>
>> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
>> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly combat
>> with another aircraft?
>>

> flightgear is in the repositories. I don't think it has combat
> though, and I haven't tried it in a year or so. You will need a
> decent 3D card for fg.
>
> A quick search turned up these - I haven't tried any of them out though:
> gl-117 - An action flight simulator
> gl-117-data - Data files for gl-117
> sabre - fighter plane simulator for svgalib
> sabre-common - data for the SABRE fighter plane simulator
> searchandrescue - fly aircraft to search (for) and rescue people in distress
> xsabre - fighter plane simulator for X11
>
> Chris

OK, got "flighgear installed and it has possibilities. I'll have to get
familiar with all the controls.

Now will work on the others,
sabre, etc.

TU, elmo

Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
elmo

David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
>> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly combat
>> with another aircraft?
>>

> There certainly is, and it's pretty good for open source. It's called
> flightgear.
>
> It's a pretty hefty package, and you need a fast machine and good
> accelerated graphics to make it work.
>
> It seems to play rather well on my dual core athlon/6600 integrated
> nvidia, but it crawled on my old athlon 1000 box.

Flightgear looks good , TU

Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
elmo

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:47:20 +1000, Graham Martin wrote:
>

>>> 29th July elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote.. Using Synaptic Package Manager,
>>> I tried installing something called > ACM but all it displays looks
>>> like an airport runway but it shows no aircraft or any kind of
>>> activity. From what I can tell it's some kind of Windows aerial combat
>>> program that is supposed to work in UBUNTU.
>>>
>>> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
>>> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly > >
>>> combat with another aircraft?
>>>
>> Hi Elmo, Check this one out it is a radio controlled model planes
>> simulator and the older version 2.50 works with wine. I don't know if
>> the latest one will you can download a free demo version and give it a
>> try at. http://www.preflightsim.com/
>>
>> Hope this is of some help... Regards Graham..
>>

> You could try fgfs (FlightGear Flight Simulator). You can fly with many
> different airplanes (Sopwith Camel ... Boeing 747) but no combat.
> Reasonible good representation of most airports in the world etc.
>
> Aart

Flight gear looks good. It'll take a lot of practice to get acquainted
with the controls.

elmo

Old 07-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> Is there an aircraft flight simulator for UBUNTU where you have
> control of an aircraft from take off to landing and possibly combat
> with another aircraft?

If you don't mind proprietary software, there is also X-Plane (more a
simulator than a game really), which was born as an Apple program, then
Windows, and is now available for Linux as well:

www.x-plane.com

There is a free demo available.

--
Vince