Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Jerry Alber

Default Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

I am trying to use a live Ubuntu DVD (ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack) and after
choosing the language and "Try Ubuntu without any change to your
computer", I eventually get a request for a "User ID" and a "Password".

My machine is a multiboot with XP, Ubuntu Studio 7.10, Ubuntu Graphics
and Fedora 8. With a Live DVD, should I even be getting a request for a
User ID and Password? If so, then what might they be? I have tried
everything but to no avail. Is the installation DVD seeing something
that it interprets as me already having the above? I have used other
live CDs including Knoppix and Kubuntu and they don't ask for a an ID or
Password.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? If so, I certainly
could use some help with this.

I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
and a Password.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
steve

Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Jerry Alber

steve wrote:

Steve,

These were commercial CDs and DVDs. I had better luck with the ISO that
I burned, but it still would not work. If this is a common problem, is
it a problem with burned CDs or commercial CDs?

Jerry

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 AM
steve

Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Karl Larsen

steve wrote:

> [...]
Please Jerry tell us what you see on the screen when you start up
the DVD. Is it at start you run into a password or is it later? My
experience is with the LiveCD for Harty and it worked with zero issues.

Where you got passwords on the DVD is a mystery.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Kevin Jones

Jerry Alber wrote:
> I am trying to use a live Ubuntu DVD (ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack) and after
> choosing the language and "Try Ubuntu without any change to your
> computer", I eventually get a request for a "User ID" and a "Password".
>
> My machine is a multiboot with XP, Ubuntu Studio 7.10, Ubuntu Graphics
> and Fedora 8. With a Live DVD, should I even be getting a request for a
> User ID and Password? If so, then what might they be? I have tried
> everything but to no avail. Is the installation DVD seeing something
> that it interprets as me already having the above? I have used other
> live CDs including Knoppix and Kubuntu and they don't ask for a an ID or
> Password.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? If so, I certainly
> could use some help with this.
>
> I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
> both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
> Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
> and a Password.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Jerry

Have you tried the username ubuntu, with a blank password? I think
that's the default one for the Live CD

--
This message was scanned for viruses and dangerous
content by MailScanner and was found to be clean.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Jerry Alber

steve wrote:

Jerry Alber wrote:

[...]

I am using k3b to burn.

Jerry

Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Jerry Alber

Karl Larsen wrote:

steve wrote:

Jerry Alber wrote:

[...]

The first thing I see is the selection of language. Then I chose "Try
Ubuntu without any change to your computer". It was only at the end
that I was presented with a user id and password. The user id screen
said, "User ubuntu will be logged in in 10 seconds". If I let it run
its course, I would be presented with a screen with 2 folders (examples
and install) in the upper left hand corner. There were no panels
present. If I chose one of the folder, I was again presented with the
user id screen.

Go figure!

Jerry

Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Jerry Alber

Kevin Jones wrote:

Jerry Alber wrote:

[...]

Kevin,

I did try ubuntu but it did not work. If I left it blank and let it log
in by itself after 10 seconds, I would get a screen with the Hardy
Heron logo but no panels.

Jerry

Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 AM
NoOp

On 07/29/2008 01:29 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:

> I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
> both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
> Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
> and a Password.

None of this makes any sense... I'm not implying that you are wrong,
just that it doesn't make any sense for any of the CD's or DVD to ask
for a userid and password unless of course you are installing from and
then they ask as part of setting up a new user. This is your's correct?

<quote>
During the setup process it asks for a User ID and a Password
</quote>

Where _exactly_ are you being asked for the UID and password? During the
installation? If so, that is normal; you need to give Ubuntu a user name
and password for the user that you are setting Ubuntu up for during the
installation process. There is no _preset_ username and password, you
are telling Ubuntu "I want to set up this user with this password".

Perhaps these will help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/installation-guide/i386/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall