Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Derek Broughton

Default virtualbox fans?

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having
> "minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.
>
> I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not
> OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.
>
> Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that
> there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work
> properly :-/
>
> Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on
> 192.168.0.10, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to 10.0.2.10 by it's
> own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I
> can't ping or connect to a machine on, say, 192.168.0.15, within my own
> network? And 192.168.0.15 can't get into the VM's system unless I enable
> port forwarding on 192.168.0.10 to point to the 10.0.2.10 address?

Correct.
--
derek

Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
"Mario Spinthiras"

Since we are discussing VirtualBox I would like to congratulate all the people that contributed to the project. I do however have one question regarding graphics. Is there a way to maximize the graphics potential of vbox? To be honest Im not a geek 24/7 , I like playing Frozen Throne (yes the warcraft game). Is there anyone that successfully got this running somehow?

Regards,
Mario

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having

> "minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.

> I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not

> OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.

> Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that

> there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work

> properly :-/

> Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on

> 192.168.0.10, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to 10.0.2.10 by it's

> own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I

> can't ping or connect to a machine on, say, 192.168.0.15, within my own

> network? And 192.168.0.15 can't get into the VM's system unless I enable

> port forwarding on 192.168.0.10 to point to the 10.0.2.10 address?

Correct.

--

derek

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Spinthiras wrote:

> Since we are discussing VirtualBox I would like to congratulate all the
> people that contributed to the project. I do however have one question
> regarding graphics. Is there a way to maximize the graphics potential of
> vbox? To be honest Im not a geek 24/7 , I like playing Frozen Throne (yes
> the warcraft game). Is there anyone that successfully got this running
> somehow?

Probably not, at this time. The virtualized graphics processor (for both
VMWare and VirtualBox) is pretty simple (I don't think they do 3D at all).
There are promises to improve on this, but it'll take time.
--
derek

Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Ed Greshko

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Spinthiras wrote:
>
>> Since we are discussing VirtualBox I would like to congratulate all the
>> people that contributed to the project. I do however have one question
>> regarding graphics. Is there a way to maximize the graphics potential of
>> vbox? To be honest Im not a geek 24/7 , I like playing Frozen Throne (yes
>> the warcraft game). Is there anyone that successfully got this running
>> somehow?
>>

> Probably not, at this time. The virtualized graphics processor (for both
> VMWare and VirtualBox) is pretty simple (I don't think they do 3D at all).
> There are promises to improve on this, but it'll take time.

Well...some do.

If you are running a VMware host running Linux and the host has "direct
rendering: Yes" and your guest is Windows you can run 3D and DirectX
applications.

An example of this is a WinXP guest is now capable of running something like
GoogleEarth while the host is RHEL4.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having
>> "minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.
>>
>> I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not
>> OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.
>>
>> Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that
>> there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work
>> properly :-/
>>
>> Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on
>> 192.168.0.10, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to 10.0.2.10 by it's
>> own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I
>> can't ping or connect to a machine on, say, 192.168.0.15, within my own
>> network? And 192.168.0.15 can't get into the VM's system unless I enable
>> port forwarding on 192.168.0.10 to point to the 10.0.2.10 address?
>
> Correct.

I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!

I can't find it in the network browsing, even though I set one up and
the log said shared networking is enabled. I go to My Network Places,
view workgroup computers, and my workgroup, and it's just the virtual
system's name. Click entire network, then VirtualBox Shared Folders, and
it's blank.

This is the latest binary version, 1.6.2, with WinXP guest on Ubuntu 8.04.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 08:32 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!
>
> I can't find it in the network browsing, even though I set one up and
> the log said shared networking is enabled. I go to My Network Places,
> view workgroup computers, and my workgroup, and it's just the virtual
> system's name. Click entire network, then VirtualBox Shared Folders, and
> it's blank.
>
> This is the latest binary version, 1.6.2, with WinXP guest on Ubuntu 8.04.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
[Windows Shared Folders]
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!

The shared folder feature isn't SMB networking, though. It's just exposing
particular folders on the host to the client.

To have your client visible on the LAN, it needs to be using "Host"
networking (which then needs to be bridged via your host's network
interface).

Now, everybody says that Host networking can't work via a bridge on a wifi
IF. That makes no sense to me, and I wish someone would explain it. In
any case, unless your client is getting a DHCP address from the LAN's DHCP
server, you probably won't be able to address it by name, though you may be
able to address it by IP.
--
derek

Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Bart Silverstrim

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/30/2008 08:32 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
>> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!
>>
>> I can't find it in the network browsing, even though I set one up and
>> the log said shared networking is enabled. I go to My Network Places,
>> view workgroup computers, and my workgroup, and it's just the virtual
>> system's name. Click entire network, then VirtualBox Shared Folders, and
>> it's blank.
>>
>> This is the latest binary version, 1.6.2, with WinXP guest on Ubuntu 8.04.
>>

> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
> [Windows Shared Folders]
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

I'm not going to say it doesn't work since I'm not at that system at the
moment, but I wondered if you could verify this...

I had a window where I could browse my local workgroup and another icon
marked virtualbox shared drives, and the virtualbox entry was blank and
the local workgroup just has the virtualized system.

I also couldn't use vboxsrv or vboxsvr in the address bar to browse
shares?

Are these normal? I'll try the fixes in the link you sent when I get a
chance.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>
>> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
>> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!
>>

> The shared folder feature isn't SMB networking, though. It's just exposing
> particular folders on the host to the client.

I understand that. In the directions for VirtBox, it said to go to net
neighborhood, etc. etc. to get to the share, or "net use x:
vboxsrvsharename" to create the drive letter. As of 1.5 it was
network-browseable, so my assumation is their implementation of shared
folders was tied to the networking subsystem...separate, but similar to
the Windows network shares, but I understand it's separate.

> To have your client visible on the LAN, it needs to be using "Host"
> networking (which then needs to be bridged via your host's network
> interface).

Yeah, would be nicer, but I'd rather not go through the jumps to get a
tun interface working and tied up properly on the host.

> Now, everybody says that Host networking can't work via a bridge on a wifi
> IF. That makes no sense to me, and I wish someone would explain it. In
> any case, unless your client is getting a DHCP address from the LAN's DHCP
> server, you probably won't be able to address it by name, though you may be
> able to address it by IP.

Wifi: No idea. Not trying it over that.

DHCP: not bridged, so the guest is getting it's current config from the
DHCP mechanism of the vbox network module (10.0.2.x)

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2008 10:16 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/30/2008 08:32 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
>>> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!
>>>
>>> I can't find it in the network browsing, even though I set one up and
>>> the log said shared networking is enabled. I go to My Network Places,
>>> view workgroup computers, and my workgroup, and it's just the virtual
>>> system's name. Click entire network, then VirtualBox Shared Folders, and
>>> it's blank.
>>>
>>> This is the latest binary version, 1.6.2, with WinXP guest on Ubuntu 8.04.
>>>

>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
>> [Windows Shared Folders]
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
>
> I'm not going to say it doesn't work since I'm not at that system at the
> moment, but I wondered if you could verify this...
>
> I had a window where I could browse my local workgroup and another icon
> marked virtualbox shared drives, and the virtualbox entry was blank and
> the local workgroup just has the virtualized system.
>
> I also couldn't use vboxsrv or vboxsvr in the address bar to browse
> shares?
>
> Are these normal? I'll try the fixes in the link you sent when I get a
> chance.

I am using Win2KP as the guest, so unfortunately I can't vouch for
WinXP. However on my Win2KP under Entire Network I can see & use:

- Microsoft Windows Network
o Mshome
All samba shares to my machines where I allow access are listed
o Workgroup
A new system that I've brought up using the Win default 'Workgroup'
- VirtualBox Shared Folders
o VBOXSVR<shared folder on this host machine>
o VBOXSVR<another shared folder on this host machine>
- Computers Near Me
o My laptop, and 4 other of my systems (2 connected via wireless)

To set the VBOXSVR folders, you need to define them in Devices|Shared
Folders. They can be transient or machine. Note: I use NAT mode, not
bridged - all of the machines I can browse are all on the same subnet
(192.168.4.xyz) as this (host) machine.

I highly recommend that you also subscribe to the VB mailing list/group:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
They do a pretty good job & several of the developers hang out &
actually respond on the list (albeit quite often with RTFM section x :-).