Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Default virtualbox fans?

Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having
"minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.

I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not
OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.

Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that
there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work
properly :-/

Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on
192.168.0.10, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to 10.0.2.10 by it's
own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I
can't ping or connect to a machine on, say, 192.168.0.15, within my own
network? And 192.168.0.15 can't get into the VM's system unless I enable
port forwarding on 192.168.0.10 to point to the 10.0.2.10 address?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 PM
"pat decampos"

Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having

"minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.

I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not

OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.

Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that

there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work

properly :-/

Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on

192.168.0.10, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to 10.0.2.10 by it's

own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I

can't ping or connect to a machine on, say, 192.168.0.15, within my own

network? And 192.168.0.15 can't get into the VM's system unless I enable

port forwarding on 192.168.0.10 to point to the 10.0.2.10 address?

I had nothing but issues with vbox and bridged networking. I ended up biting the bullet and using VMWare Server. here;s the guide I tried to get vbox + bridged networking to work:

http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/bridge-network-interface-on-virtualbox/

It's old, but don't let the date scare you. It should be fine.