Old 07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default Youtube: Flash Player on Intel AMD64

Hello,

I have Intel AMD64 on Ubuntu and I wish to use You tube, but it seems that Flash Player is not available
for X86_64.

What is the trick or better alternative so that I can
use Flash applications ?

Chaman Singh Verma

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Cody Herriges

Install the flashplayer-nonfree package, it is an installer for nspluginwrapper. Be aware this set
up is not nearly as stable as the 32bit package.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 PM
mouss

Cody Herriges wrote:
> Install the flashplayer-nonfree package, it is an installer for nspluginwrapper. Be aware this set
> up is not nearly as stable as the 32bit package.

and npviewer.bin will eat all your cpu...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:51:38AM -0700, Cody Herriges wrote:
> Install the flashplayer-nonfree package, it is an installer for
> nspluginwrapper. Be aware this set up is not nearly as stable as the
> 32bit package.

In my experience it's much more stable as the 32-bit package: with
nspluginwrapper a crashing flash player doesn't bring the whole Firefox
down. Flash player crashes my firefox once very five videos on my
32-bit system. Admittedly, I've installed libflashsupport for
Pulseaudio support (because flash with no sound is just NOT FUN), which
is known to be unstable (and therefore not installed by default) thanks
to bugs in Flash Player 9.

Marius Gedminas
--
Unix is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows
is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
mouss

Phil Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 01:07, mouss wrote:
>> Cody Herriges wrote:
>>> Install the flashplayer-nonfree package, it is an installer for
> nspluginwrapper. Be aware this set
>>> up is not nearly as stable as the 32bit package.
>>>
>> and npviewer.bin will eat all your cpu...
>
> Hi!
> I followed a how to once to install Flash Player 10 Beta on my Hardy
> 64 Bit, but honestly, I just can't seem to find it.... Try googling
> something like "ubuntu hardy flash player 10". It works quite well for
> me!

it works for me too (and I only had to click on the firefox
question...). but when the machine gets slow and I look at top,
npviewer.bin is always "there". googling shows that I am not alone.

BTW. is there an open source "embeddable" video player? I mean an open
source way to put videos on a web site.