Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
"Christian"

Default Question about Pulseaudio

Hi all,
I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
I am using Ubuntu Hardy.
I have been trying to use both Audacity and Gnusound with padsp but so far no luck. I cannot playback or record anything when using this.
I had a look at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
Christian

Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Karl Larsen

Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
> I am using Ubuntu Hardy.
> I have been trying to use both Audacity and Gnusound with padsp but so far no luck. I cannot playback or record anything when using this.
> I had a look at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
> Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
> Christian

You need to say what doesn't work. Are you saying you listen to the
output of your soundcard and you hear nothing? Is the little marker on
the audacity picture of the sound moving left to right?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 PM
"Christian"

On 2008-07-29 at 12:40 Karl Larsen wrote:

>Christian wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
>> I am using Ubuntu Hardy.
>> I have been trying to use both Audacity and Gnusound with padsp but so
>far no luck. I cannot playback or record anything when using this.
>> I had a look at:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
>> Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
>> Christian
>>

> You need to say what doesn't work. Are you saying you listen to the
>output of your soundcard and you hear nothing? Is the little marker on
>the audacity picture of the sound moving left to right?
>
>Karl
The output of my soundcard is working as it should.
Will I need to add my username to the pulseaudio groups as described on the Wiki page?
If I try to play a file in Audacity I hear nothing and the program seem to crash.
Many thanks,
Christian

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Christian <christian08@runbox.com> wrote:

> I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
> I am using Ubuntu Hardy.

The way I used to do this was to use sox.

$ #! /bin/sh
sox -V -c2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp $1.ogg

That'll record to an ogg on the fly from the input of the sound card
while it is playing (that's the ossdsp and dev/dsp parts). The
downside of that is that you may get extraneous sounds through the
soundcard if you're not careful and disable the microphone inputs on
the mixer .

The sound amplification may also be affected by mixer settings, but
you can redo that in audacity when you are finished recording.

Recording from the sound device directly in audacity should work, but
usually has had problems in the past on a variety of linux distros.

You'll also probably have to install sox and some sox library
packages. It occurs to me that the package was broken up (at least on
Debian) and after an upgrade, I lost mp3 and ogg functionality because
the libraries for that were no longer installed .