Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
"H.S."

Default Audacity playback: No sound

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.04
>
> Audacity 1.3.4-beta (Unicode)
>
> Packard Bell Easy Note laptop: 1,6 GHz (dual core), 2 GB.
>
> Procedure:
>
> Open File (doesn't matter which one, as long as it is a supported file
> format)
>
> Click Play
>
> Project plays but no sound can be heard. The output level meters
> however, move as they should.
>
> Ctrl+p
>
> Nothing happens for about 15-20 seconds (very frustrating)
>
> A dialogue window appears.
>
> Playback device is set to ALSA: HDA Intel: AD198x Digital (hw: 0,1)
>
> Change it to ALSA: HDA Intel: AD198x Analog(hw: 0,0)
>
> Nothing happens for about 30 seconds (extremely frustrating)
>
> Klick Play
>
> Nothing happens for about 8 seconds (not acceptable but not very
> frustrating either)
>
> An error box appears: "Error while opening sound device. Please check
> the output device settings and the project sample rate."
>
> The thing about the sample rate just has to be nonsense, because I never
> use anything else than 44.1 kHz. Whereever I look, it is set to 44.1 kHz
> and all my sound files are 44.1 kHz files.
>
> I guess Pulse Audio is involved somehow, but I don't really understand
> what it's for and what to do with it. All I want to do is to edit some
> sound files and hear the result, which I could easily with Audacity on
> Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 on the very same laptop.
>
> Any hints about next step in the troubleshooting procedure?
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

er .. just to confirm, can you play any other audio file using any other
application?

I use audacity a lot and it works fine on Ubuntu. The only things I have
to deal with are:
1. The appropriate output device should be selected. The device number
might change on reboots if you have multiple output devices.
2. The volume of the output device should be non-zero. On a command
terminal, type alsamixer and press enter. The GUI shows the volumes of
all devices. Press left/right arrow keys to move between devices,
up/down keys to adjust volume, and ESC to quit that GUI.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
"guido dom"

I have a similar problem with my Medion MD 96640 (ALC883 sound chip). The sound is very low (except on extrenal speakers).
On 7.10 all is normal.

[...]

Tel:+32 (0)58 239804 +32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (dompie) Dom
Registered Linux (Ubuntu) User # 462578

Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

2008/7/29 H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com>

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Ubuntu 8.04

> Audacity 1.3.4-beta (Unicode)

> Packard Bell Easy Note laptop: 1,6 GHz (dual core), 2 GB.

> Procedure:

> Open File (doesn't matter which one, as long as it is a supported file

> format)

> Click Play

> Project plays but no sound can be heard. The output level meters

> however, move as they should.

> Ctrl+p

> Nothing happens for about 15-20 seconds (very frustrating)

> A dialogue window appears.

> Playback device is set to ALSA: HDA Intel: AD198x Digital (hw: 0,1)

> Change it to ALSA: HDA Intel: AD198x Analog(hw: 0,0)

> Nothing happens for about 30 seconds (extremely frustrating)

> Klick Play

> Nothing happens for about 8 seconds (not acceptable but not very

> frustrating either)

> An error box appears: "Error while opening sound device. Please check

> the output device settings and the project sample rate."

> The thing about the sample rate just has to be nonsense, because I never

> use anything else than 44.1 kHz. Whereever I look, it is set to 44.1 kHz

> and all my sound files are 44.1 kHz files.

> I guess Pulse Audio is involved somehow, but I don't really understand

> what it's for and what to do with it. All I want to do is to edit some

> sound files and hear the result, which I could easily with Audacity on

> Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 on the very same laptop.

> Any hints about next step in the troubleshooting procedure?

> Johnny Rosenberg

er .. just to confirm, can you play any other audio file using any other

application?Everything else I tested so far works. I even get a sound when I login to my desktop. Double clicking a file plays the file with sound with Audacious or Totem (depending on file type). I have sound when playing a DVD, CD and also when playing things at YouTube. It's ONLY when I use Audacity that no sound can be heard or error messages appear.

I use audacity a lot and it works fine on Ubuntu. The only things I have

to deal with are:

1. The appropriate output device should be selected. The device number

might change on reboots if you have multiple output devices.I tried them all and nothing works. I select it in Audacity's preferences, right?*

2. The volume of the output device should be non-zero. On a command

terminal, type alsamixer and press enter. The GUI shows the volumes of

all devices. Press left/right arrow keys to move between devices,

up/down keys to adjust volume, and ESC to quit that GUI.Checked. The appropriate levels are set to maximum.*