Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Geoffrey Lane

Default Which backup solution would you recommend?

I am running latest xubuntu v7.10, and looking for a way to backup my
settings, logs, user profile.
I would love to have a gui and command line "version", but need
something that I can include and
exclude files/folders and wildcards (eg. *.jpg). Something fairly easy
to setup and will backup to a file
format I can use between clients and os (eg. tar, zip, 7z). Would also
be nice if it would upload to shell,
ftp site, of smb and schedule-able

can someone please make a recommendation?
Thanks for your time,
Geo

Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 AM
John Toliver

I was directed that all your data is in your home folder. If you can,
writing a script would work from the command line. I don't particularly
care for it but a program called Unison does directory mirroring.

SMB is a function of samba as far as I know so if you have the client
installed on your system you can write to windows folders or vice versa.

It's doable is my point.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 AM
"Bazooka Joe"

applications -> add/remove has 18 or so backup progs that have stars
that rate them when you search for backup. I'm not trying to be a
dick but i see you aren't getting much useful info from other people.
I deal w/ backup on servers mostly and we use dump. It is a good/great
command line utility but no gui that i know of. tar is the most
common backup method and the one i use to backup my workstation. If
you are trying to push your backup over a network to another computer
i would look at amanda, bacula and rsync. if you find something good
in the add/remove let us know.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM
niel

On Thursday 06 December 2007 08.06.32 Bazooka Joe wrote:
> applications -> add/remove has 18 or so backup progs that have stars
> that rate them when you search for backup. I'm not trying to be a
> dick but i see you aren't getting much useful info from other people.
> I deal w/ backup on servers mostly and we use dump. It is a good/great
> command line utility but no gui that i know of. tar is the most
> common backup method and the one i use to backup my workstation. If
> you are trying to push your backup over a network to another computer
> i would look at amanda, bacula and rsync. if you find something good
> in the add/remove let us know.
>
> On Dec 5, 2007 4:12 PM, Geoffrey Lane <freeballer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am running latest xubuntu v7.10, and looking for a way to backup my
> > settings, logs, user profile.
> > I would love to have a gui and command line "version", but need
> > something that I can include and
> > exclude files/folders and wildcards (eg. *.jpg). Something fairly easy
> > to setup and will backup to a file
> > format I can use between clients and os (eg. tar, zip, 7z). Would also
> > be nice if it would upload to shell,
> > ftp site, of smb and schedule-able
> >
> > can someone please make a recommendation?
> > Thanks for your time,
> > Geo
> >
> > --

Flexbackup

sudo flexbackup -set all (first backup)

sudo flexbackup -set all -level incremental (following backups)

/etc/flexbackup.conf

man flexbackup
***

Backup2l

sudo backup2l -b 0 (first backup)

sudo backup2l -b (following backups)

/etc/backup2l.conf

man backup2l
***

I have used both above, they work ok
***

Partimage

I have ubuntu on one partition of 40 gb, and use the Partimage program, from a
systemrescuecd live cd (I do not use any compression, to save time).

I have backuped with partimage and restored several times, and it works fine.
***

I have all my backup on external harddisk.