-   -   Why can't I rename my floppy drive? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/133618-why-cant-i-rename-my-floppy-drive.html)

Jimmy Montague 07-29-2008 11:59 AM

Why can't I rename my floppy drive?

I installed a floppy drive. Nautilus showed the drive (named FLOPPY)
present in the system. To test the drive, I gave it a diskette named
QMOSAIC1. Then I right-clicked the icon and selected "mount". Ubuntu
read the diskette and changed the name of the drive to QMOSAIC1. Now I
can't change the name of the drive back to FLOPPY. Whenever I try,
Nautilus gives me an error:

"Sorry, couldn't rename "QMOSAIC1" to "FLOPPY": Operation not supported
by backend."

What can I do about that?

I tried a terminal window: gksudo nautilus and all of that. The floppy
icon doesn't show up until I put a diskette in it and mount the drive.
When I then try to rename it, Nautilus says it can't rename because the
device is in use.

What can I do about that?

How do I make this machine do what I want it to do?

I never had problems like this in Windoze.

NoOp 07-29-2008 05:13 PM

On 07/29/2008 04:59 AM, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> I installed a floppy drive. Nautilus showed the drive (named FLOPPY)
> present in the system. To test the drive, I gave it a diskette named
> QMOSAIC1. Then I right-clicked the icon and selected "mount". Ubuntu
> read the diskette and changed the name of the drive to QMOSAIC1. Now I
> can't change the name of the drive back to FLOPPY. Whenever I try,
> Nautilus gives me an error:
>
> "Sorry, couldn't rename "QMOSAIC1" to "FLOPPY": Operation not supported
> by backend."
>
> What can I do about that?
>
> I tried a terminal window: gksudo nautilus and all of that. The floppy
> icon doesn't show up until I put a diskette in it and mount the drive.
> When I then try to rename it, Nautilus says it can't rename because the
> device is in use.
>
> What can I do about that?
>
> How do I make this machine do what I want it to do?
>
> I never had problems like this in Windoze.

You must also 'unmount' the floppy. Put the floppy back in and
right-click unmount.

Jimmy Montague 07-29-2008 05:34 PM

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 10:13 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/29/2008 04:59 AM, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> > I installed a floppy drive. Nautilus showed the drive (named FLOPPY)
> > present in the system. To test the drive, I gave it a diskette named
> > QMOSAIC1. Then I right-clicked the icon and selected "mount". Ubuntu
> > read the diskette and changed the name of the drive to QMOSAIC1. Now I
> > can't change the name of the drive back to FLOPPY. Whenever I try,
> > Nautilus gives me an error:
> >
> > "Sorry, couldn't rename "QMOSAIC1" to "FLOPPY": Operation not supported
> > by backend."
> >
> > What can I do about that?
> >
> > I tried a terminal window: gksudo nautilus and all of that. The floppy
> > icon doesn't show up until I put a diskette in it and mount the drive.
> > When I then try to rename it, Nautilus says it can't rename because the
> > device is in use.
> >
> > What can I do about that?
> >
> > How do I make this machine do what I want it to do?
> >
> > I never had problems like this in Windoze.
> >

> You must also 'unmount' the floppy. Put the floppy back in and
> right-click unmount.

Nonsense. If I gksudo or just plain sudo, when the Nautilus window
opens, the result is the same. If I try to rename the drive icon,
Nautilus tells me it can't rename because the device is busy. If I first
unmount the drive, the icon disappears so there's nothing then to
right-click on. The only way I can click on the drive is to mount the
drive and then I can't rename because the device is busy. If I unmount
the drive, the device disappears.

NoOp 07-29-2008 09:42 PM

On 07/29/2008 10:34 AM, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 10:13 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/29/2008 04:59 AM, Jimmy Montague wrote:
>> > I installed a floppy drive. Nautilus showed the drive (named FLOPPY)
>> > present in the system. To test the drive, I gave it a diskette named
>> > QMOSAIC1. Then I right-clicked the icon and selected "mount". Ubuntu
>> > read the diskette and changed the name of the drive to QMOSAIC1. Now I
>> > can't change the name of the drive back to FLOPPY. Whenever I try,
>> > Nautilus gives me an error:
>> >
>> > "Sorry, couldn't rename "QMOSAIC1" to "FLOPPY": Operation not supported
>> > by backend."
>> >
>> > What can I do about that?
>> >
>> > I tried a terminal window: gksudo nautilus and all of that. The floppy
>> > icon doesn't show up until I put a diskette in it and mount the drive.
>> > When I then try to rename it, Nautilus says it can't rename because the
>> > device is in use.
>> >
>> > What can I do about that?
>> >
>> > How do I make this machine do what I want it to do?
>> >
>> > I never had problems like this in Windoze.
>> >

>> You must also 'unmount' the floppy. Put the floppy back in and
>> right-click unmount.
>>

> Nonsense. If I gksudo or just plain sudo, when the Nautilus window
> opens, the result is the same. If I try to rename the drive icon,
> Nautilus tells me it can't rename because the device is busy. If I first
> unmount the drive, the icon disappears so there's nothing then to
> right-click on. The only way I can click on the drive is to mount the
> drive and then I can't rename because the device is busy. If I unmount
> the drive, the device disappears.

OK. I was on Gutsy - I just checked on hardy and you are correct. I
mounted a floppy (FREEDOS) and now the floppy drive in Nautilus is
FREEDOS instead of floppy. When I put a different floppy & mount the
name doesn't change.

NoOp 07-29-2008 10:04 PM

On 07/29/2008 02:42 PM, NoOp wrote:

> OK. I was on Gutsy - I just checked on hardy and you are correct. I
> mounted a floppy (FREEDOS) and now the floppy drive in Nautilus is
> FREEDOS instead of floppy. When I put a different floppy & mount the
> name doesn't change.

Reboot clears the name and restores it to 'Floppy Drive' - login/out
from the session doesn't. I put in a new floppy and now my floppy drive
is named "1.5 MB Media" :-) Anyway, sounds like you should file a bug in
launchpad.