FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-29-2008, 10:05 AM
"Donny George"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

Hello all

i have been installing this new ubuntu 8.04 server edition, after installation was complete i also did apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it was completed succesfully but once reboot, the ubuntu starts up with the reading bar and once thats finished i only get a black screen. and i cant even go to text mode frmo here


i then went to the recovery mode fixed broken packages and also tried xfix, then took to the text mode and even when i have configured the ip with ifconfig and gateway it just cant ping a website address but it can ping the neighbouring computer. its also weird since only because i had the internet connectivity i could install the ubuntu-desktop package.


could someone help me get the display

donny


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
ac
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

Donny George wrote:
> Hello all
>
> i have been installing this new ubuntu 8.04 server edition, after
> installation was complete i also did apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and
> it was completed succesfully but once reboot, the ubuntu starts up with
> the reading bar and once thats finished i only get a black screen. and i
> cant even go to text mode frmo here
>
> i then went to the recovery mode fixed broken packages and also tried
> xfix, then took to the text mode and even when i have configured the ip
> with ifconfig and gateway it just cant ping a website address but it can
> ping the neighbouring computer. its also weird since only because i had
> the internet connectivity i could install the ubuntu-desktop package.
>
> could someone help me get the display

Do you have enough ram to try using a ubuntu live CD (8.04.1 version
now) in either normal live mode or live safe graphics mode(F4)?

This would be a method of finding out if your graphics card and
monitor can be recognised easily. If it can be done then the files
produced for the live session are useful content for your installed
sessions to I believe. Particularly
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
I think

--
ac


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM
"Donny George"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM, ac <"aec$news"@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> Hello all

>

> i have been installing this new ubuntu 8.04 server edition, after

> installation was complete i also did apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and

> it was completed succesfully but once reboot, the ubuntu starts up with

> the reading bar and once thats finished i only get a black screen. and i

> cant even go to text mode frmo here

>

> i then went to the recovery mode fixed broken packages and also tried

> xfix, then took to the text mode and even when i have configured the ip

> with ifconfig and gateway it just cant ping a website address but it can

> ping the neighbouring computer. its also weird since only because i had

> the internet connectivity i could install the ubuntu-desktop package.

>

> could someone help me get the display



Do you have enough ram to try using a ubuntu live CD (8.04.1 version

now) in either normal live mode or live safe graphics mode(F4)?



This would be a method of finding out if your graphics card and

monitor can be recognised easily. If it can be done then the files

produced for the live session are useful content for your installed

sessions to I believe. Particularly

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think



--

ac





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

hey ac

i coped the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from another working system and so this time wen it boots it gives me all the correct log in , but of course it has a weird resolution. so once i give the log in, it comes to a screen which says ubuntu is running in low graphics and gives me an option either to continue or to configure but in the configure my card is not listed in the list of available cards, though i tried some close matches of ati, it didnt work


then i logged in and tried to install the restricted packages and get the graphics card running. though i was successful in making the card enabled once i rebooted i got the same old black screen

i also tried to choose some other resolution once and there are were no more options other than some 480x.....


how cud i possibly overcome this ?

please help

don


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
"Donny George"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

*

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:



On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM, ac <"aec$news"@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:


Donny George wrote:

> Hello all

>

> i have been installing this new ubuntu 8.04 server edition, after

> installation was complete i also did apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and

> it was completed succesfully but once reboot, the ubuntu starts up with

> the reading bar and once thats finished i only get a black screen. and i

> cant even go to text mode frmo here

>

> i then went to the recovery mode fixed broken packages and also tried

> xfix, then took to the text mode and even when i have configured the ip

> with ifconfig and gateway it just cant ping a website address but it can

> ping the neighbouring computer. its also weird since only because i had

> the internet connectivity i could install the ubuntu-desktop package.

>

> could someone help me get the display



Do you have enough ram to try using a ubuntu live CD (8.04.1 version

now) in either normal live mode or live safe graphics mode(F4)?



This would be a method of finding out if your graphics card and

monitor can be recognised easily. If it can be done then the files

produced for the live session are useful content for your installed

sessions to I believe. Particularly

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think



--

ac





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

hey ac

i coped the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from another working system and so this time wen it boots it gives me all the correct log in , but of course it has a weird resolution. so once i give the log in, it comes to a screen which says ubuntu is running in low graphics and gives me an option either to continue or to configure but in the configure my card is not listed in the list of available cards, though i tried some close matches of ati, it didnt work



then i logged in and tried to install the restricted packages and get the graphics card running. though i was successful in making the card enabled once i rebooted i got the same old black screen

i also tried to choose some other resolution once and there are were no more options other than some 480x.....



how cud i possibly overcome this ?

please help

don




hello

i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums that this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor manually. but other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing more


so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu server

kindly help

don


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
"Steve Flynn"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> hello
>
> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums that
> this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor manually. but
> other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing more
>
> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu
> server


sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg



--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

Steve Flynn wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums
>> that this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor
>> manually. but other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing
>> more
>>
>> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu
>> server
>
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Oh, I wish... That's always a good way to start, but don't be surprised if
it doesn't help.

I just upgraded my kernel to 2.6.26 (from intrepid) because my HP laptop has
_always_ failed to properly boot 2.6.24 kernels, and everything worked
nicely except the xorg.conf settings. As usual, I had to manually rework
my xorg.conf, as the result of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" was
even worse than I had before reconfiguring.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 PM
NoOp
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

On 07/30/2008 03:04 AM, Donny George wrote:

> hello
>
> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums that
> this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor manually. but
> other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing more
>
> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu
> server
>
> kindly help
>
> don
>
>

Backup your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf then:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/30/2008 03:04 AM, Donny George wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums that
>> this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor manually. but
>> other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing more
>>
>> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu
>> server

Just a random thought - he started by installing server so he got a
different kernel than the ubuntu desktop installs. Will the nvidia
modules be available for that kernel?
Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
"Donny George"
 
Default package ubuntu-desktop

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 07/30/2008 03:04 AM, Donny George wrote:

>

>> hello

>>

>> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums that

>> this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor manually. but

>> other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing more

>>

>> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu

>> server



Just a random thought - he started by installing server so he got a

different kernel than the ubuntu desktop installs. Will the nvidia

modules be available for that kernel?

Brian



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


hello all

again the same thing

after all the bhead breaking session yesterday which went without success, once i open the box today morning it seems alls working fine


i am really not sure which did the trick for me but the only thing which i did was the dpkg command for xserver-xorg.

why doesnt ubuntu have a stable behaviour ?

don


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org