Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Default OpenGL glxgears demo program

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu64 bit on Linux machine. When I execute the glxgears program ( I think it is standard with opengl). I get a transparent X -window and the
colors are very light.

I don't have any graphics card on the machine, but I presume that perhaps some X-window setup is not
correct. I have seen this demo on many other machines and it looked great, but not my machine.

Can someone help on this issue ?

Thanks.
Chaman Singh Verma

Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
David Vincent

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Hello,

What I meant was that I don't have external NVIDIA or ATI card on it.
I have only Intel-in built graphics support which may not be as good
as NVidia.

I install Ubuntu 8.X ( if I am not wrong ) on Intel Core 2 Duo machine.

csv

> I have installed Ubuntu64 bit on Linux machine. When I execute the

> glxgears program ( I think it is standard with opengl). I get a

> transparent X -window and the

> colors are very light.

> I don't have any graphics card on the machine, but I presume that

> perhaps some X-window setup is not

> correct. I have seen this demo on many other machines and it looked

> great, but not my machine.

> Can someone help on this issue ?

Ummm... no graphics card? *I must be misunderstanding you. *You're

running X therefore you have some kind of card in there - what is it?

Which driver are you using? *Which Ubuntu have you installed?

- -d

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
"Steve Flynn"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, David Vincent
<dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

>> I don't have any graphics card on the machine, but I presume that
>> perhaps some X-window setup is not
>> correct. I have seen this demo on many other machines and it looked
>> great, but not my machine.
>>
>> Can someone help on this issue ?
>
> Ummm... no graphics card? I must be misunderstanding you. You're
> running X therefore you have some kind of card in there - what is it?
> Which driver are you using? Which Ubuntu have you installed?

It will be an onboard card so at the very least, the user should post
his motherboard specs and motherboard model.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
David Vincent

Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Hello,

I checked the motherboard, it is Intel MBD 945 GCP.

csv

> What I meant was that I don't have external NVIDIA or ATI card on it.

> I have only Intel-in built graphics support which may not be as good

> as NVidia.

Gotcha! *But sorry, I've no experience with Intel and Compiz so I can't

help. *Now that we've got some info to go on though maybe someone else

on the list can.

How much video ram have you got? *Can you change it in the BIOS? *You

might try values upwards from 64mb in there if you can. *I've had Compiz

*working on an old ATI Radeon 7000 with 32mb of RAM before, but more is

better.

> I install Ubuntu 8.X ( if I am not wrong ) on Intel Core 2 Duo machine.

Great!

- -d

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM
NoOp

On 07/29/2008 06:49 AM, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I checked the motherboard, it is Intel MBD 945 GCP.
>
> csv

From a terminal:

sudo lshw > lshw.txt

That will produce a text file (lshw.txt) with the full details of your
motherboard, ram, graphics etc. Open that file in the text editor and
post the section marked *-display. Example:

*-display
product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation

BTW: Compiz does work quite well with the above 82865G.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
"Chaman Singh Verma"

Hello,

Here is the description of the motherboard:

* *-display UNCLAIMED
************ product: 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller

************ vendor: Intel Corporation
************ physical id: 2
************ bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
************ version: 02
************ width: 32 bits
************ clock: 33MHz
************ capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list

************ configuration: latency=0

Thanks.
csv

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 07/29/2008 06:49 AM, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:

> Hello,

> I checked the motherboard, it is Intel MBD 945 GCP.

> csv

From a terminal:

Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
NoOp

On 07/29/2008 10:22 AM, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is the description of the motherboard:
>
> *-display UNCLAIMED
> product: 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
> vendor: Intel Corporation

That should work fine. Can you post the output of:

glxinfo|grep render

It should look something like this:
$ glxinfo|grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2

Also can you check via Synaptic for the video drivers you have
installed? Search on 'intel' & then click in the first box (to the left
of 'Package' - that will organize all of the installed one's at the top.
Now scroll to the installed xserver-xorg files an let me know which
one's you have installed. Also search on 'xgl' and let me know if if you
have any xserver-xgl installed.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 AM
邓亮

i agree with you