Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Alain Muls

Default Compiz and googleearth, tuxkart, torcs, etc

Hi ubuntu-users

When using compiz I cannot run googleearth, tuxkart, torcs, etc.
What should I adjust so that these programs run OK. If I have to remove
compiz (how do I proceed) than I prefer not have a rotating cube but the
acceleration available for eg googleearth.

Bye/Alain

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> When using compiz I cannot run googleearth, tuxkart, torcs, etc.
> What should I adjust so that these programs run OK. If I have to remove

In a terminal, either do a 'metacity --replace' or 'kwin --replace'
depeding on whether you use gnome or kde. It'll revert to the 2D
desktop for window manager purposes.

How does compiz prevent googleearth etc. from running? What video card
and how much video ram do you have?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM
David Vincent

Old 07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 09:37 +0200, Alain Muls wrote:
> If I have to remove
> compiz (how do I proceed) than I prefer not have a rotating cube but
> the acceleration available for eg googleearth.

In the worst case (that is, if compiz and these OpenGL apps cannot be
mad to work at the same time with your graphics card), you can
temporarily deactivate compiz easily from menu System > Preferences >
Appearance > tab Visual Effects. At least that is the location in Ubuntu
8.04. Set it to "none" when you want to run other OpenGL apps.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Alain Muls

ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

From David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> When using compiz I cannot run googleearth, tuxkart, torcs, etc.
> What should I adjust so that these programs run OK. If I have to remove

In a terminal, either do a 'metacity --replace' or 'kwin --replace'
depeding on whether you use gnome or kde. It'll revert to the 2D
desktop for window manager purposes. How does compiz prevent
googleearth etc. from running? What video card and how much video ram
do you have?

Hi ubuntu-users

What is happening with these programs is that the screen is constantly
flickering when I run either one of them.
I switched my resolution a bit lower froml 1900x1200 to 1600x1050 and it
is getting better, but I do not want to go lower.

My card is an ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 with (I think)
1 MB of memory (how do I find out?)

Tx

Bye/Alain

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
"Scott Sweeny"

>> In a terminal, either do a 'metacity --replace' or 'kwin --replace'
>> depeding on whether you use gnome or kde. It'll revert to the 2D desktop for
>> window manager purposes.

There's a package in the repos called fusion-icon that allows you to
switch between metacity/kwin/compiz in a couple clicks. I use it for
Wine games and other stuff that behaves weirdly with compiz.

Cheers,
~Scott

Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> My card is an ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 with (I think) 1 MB
> of memory (how do I find out?)

I'm pretty sure you have more memory in your card than that. But to be
sure, you can use lspci, and you might need to add a few -v to that to
get more detailed output.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Derek Broughton

Alain Muls wrote:

> What is happening with these programs is that the screen is constantly
> flickering when I run either one of them.
> I switched my resolution a bit lower froml 1900x1200 to 1600x1050 and it
> is getting better, but I do not want to go lower.
>
> My card is an ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 with (I think)
> 1 MB of memory (how do I find out?)

The first thing to check with flickering is always refresh rate. CRTs at
60Hz flicker horribly (especially under flourescent lighting), so you
always want the refresh rate as high as possible. LCD screens, otoh,
normally run at 60Hz but even they sometimes do better if you can raise the
refresh rate.
--
derek

Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Alain Muls

Alain Muls wrote:

> What is happening with these programs is that the screen is constantly
> flickering when I run either one of them.
> I switched my resolution a bit lower froml 1900x1200 to 1600x1050 and it
> is getting better, but I do not want to go lower.
>
> My card is an ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 with (I think)

> 1 MB of memory (how do I find out?)

The first thing to check with flickering is always refresh rate. CRTs
at 60Hz flicker horribly (especially under flourescent lighting), so
you always want the refresh rate as high as possible. LCD screens,
otoh, normally run at 60Hz but even they sometimes do better if you
can raise the refresh rate.

-- derek

Hi

I checked my xorg.conf file and nowhere there is mention of a refresh rate.
How do I do to:
-find out the refresh rates of my graphics card
-and put it into xorg.conf

Tx/Alain