Old 07-29-2008, 03:23 AM
"Sergio Belkin"

Default problem removing package

Hi,

I tried to remove a package in Ubuntu Hardy Heron with no sucess, look
at as follows:

root@coldplay:/home/sergio/Descarga# apt-get remove -f elvis
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
elvis
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 750kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 186555 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing elvis ...
update-alternatives: unable to make
/usr/share/man/pl.ISO8859-2/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/editor.pl.ISO8859-2.1.gz: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing elvis (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
elvis

root@coldplay:/home/sergio/Descarga# dpkg -r --force-all elvis
(Reading database ... 186555 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing elvis ...
update-alternatives: unable to make
/usr/share/man/pl.ISO8859-2/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/editor.pl.ISO8859-2.1.gz: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing elvis (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
elvis

Same problem with other packages, eg:
root@coldplay:/home/sergio/Descarga# dpkg -r --force-all vim-nox
(Reading database ... 186555 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing vim-nox ...
update-alternatives: unable to make
/usr/share/man/pl.ISO8859-2/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/editor.pl.ISO8859-2.1.gz: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing vim-nox (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
vim-nox

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!!

Open Kairos http://www.openkairos.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -

Old 07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
"Amichai Rotman"

I'd try using Aptitude. It has a more intuitive and friendly way to resolve conflics / problems and gives you a few leads to follow...

Also, although it sound like a dirty hack - I once solved the problem by reinstalling the package and then removing it.

If it happens with other packages too - it has nothing to do with the packages themselves - try running 'sudo updatedb' from the console. It will update the file list. then try to remove elvis ahgain....

Good Luck!.:=========================================== =========:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

.:================================================ ====:.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 AM
"Mario Spinthiras"

just do a dpkg -P --force package-name

[...]

Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Please don't top-post. It makes it difficult to have a conversation.

Mario Spinthiras wrote:

> just do a dpkg -P --force package-name
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Amichai Rotman
> <amichai@iglu.org.il>wrote:
>
>> I'd try using Aptitude. It has a more intuitive and friendly way to
>> resolve conflics / problems and gives you a few leads to follow...
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:23, Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to remove a package in Ubuntu Hardy Heron with no sucess, look
>>> at as follows:
>>>
>>> root@coldplay:/home/sergio/Descarga# apt-get remove -f elvis

Obviously elvis and coldplay are incompatible :-)

>>> dpkg: error processing elvis (--remove):
>>> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
>>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>> elvis
>>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Please, these are completely unhelpful suggestions. Neither aptitude nor
dpkg are going to be any better at this, as dpkg _still_ has to run the
prerm script before it can work.

First, you really shouldn't be running _as_ root, out of your home
directory. You'll be really unhappy when root writes something in there
that prevents applications running as you, later.

You could remove /var/lib/dpkg/info/elvis.prerm, which would fix the
immediate issue, but I suspect you'd still have the same problem with every
other package, as it seems to be that the "editor" alternatives are messed
up, and nothing to do with elvis itself.

Try:
# sudo update-alternatives --config editor

and set "editor" to some other editor (you can change it back if that's not
your preference).
--
derek

Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM
"Sergio Belkin"

2008/7/29 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> Please don't top-post. It makes it difficult to have a conversation.
>
> Mario Spinthiras wrote:
>
>> just do a dpkg -P --force package-name
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Amichai Rotman
>> <amichai@iglu.org.il>wrote:
>>
>>> I'd try using Aptitude. It has a more intuitive and friendly way to
>>> resolve conflics / problems and gives you a few leads to follow...

> Obviously elvis and coldplay are incompatible :-)

LOL

> Please, these are completely unhelpful suggestions. Neither aptitude nor
> dpkg are going to be any better at this, as dpkg _still_ has to run the
> prerm script before it can work.
>
> First, you really shouldn't be running _as_ root, out of your home
> directory. You'll be really unhappy when root writes something in there
> that prevents applications running as you, later.
>
> You could remove /var/lib/dpkg/info/elvis.prerm, which would fix the
> immediate issue, but I suspect you'd still have the same problem with every
> other package, as it seems to be that the "editor" alternatives are messed
> up, and nothing to do with elvis itself.
>
> Try:
> # sudo update-alternatives --config editor
>
> and set "editor" to some other editor (you can change it back if that's not
> your preference).
> --
> derek

Thanks derek , I haven't here that machine to test it, but I'm agree
with you, if simply running dpkg/aptitude with some flags (aka read
the man page first) fixed the problem I hadn't asked help to mailing
list

Thanks!