-   -   smb browse from the command line? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/133332-smb-browse-command-line.html)

David Vincent 07-28-2008 10:41 PM

smb browse from the command line?

"Chris Mohler" 07-28-2008 11:07 PM

smb browse from the command line?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM, David Vincent
<dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> hi list.
>
> a while ago someone posted about a command-line tool which spit out the
> local smb network details - machine names and shares etc.
>
> i can't for the life of me find it in my mail archive now - anyone have
> a clue what tool i am talking about?
>
> thanks in advance if this was vague enough to jog your memory.

I've used 'smbclient' to list shares on a machine. Maybe it has an
option to scan? Not sure...

Chris

Marius Gedminas 07-28-2008 11:11 PM

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:07:20PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM, David Vincent
> <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
> >
> > hi list.
> >
> > a while ago someone posted about a command-line tool which spit out the
> > local smb network details - machine names and shares etc.
> >
> > i can't for the life of me find it in my mail archive now - anyone have
> > a clue what tool i am talking about?
> >
> > thanks in advance if this was vague enough to jog your memory.
>
> I've used 'smbclient' to list shares on a machine. Maybe it has an
> option to scan? Not sure...

smbclient -L somehostname

Shows all the shares exported on a machine called 'somehostname', and
also lists all other local machines known to it.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Don't trust a statistic you haven't faked yourself."
-- Seen in another posting by Markus Kuhn

"Brian McKee" 07-28-2008 11:34 PM

smb browse from the command line?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM, David Vincent