Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Phil Sexton

Default Video CD play

Anas wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Totem can't play video cd, (which is .mpg) what is the package
> responsible for playing .mpg files
>
> thanks in advance

I haven't found that Totem does anything much except producing error
messages.

Follow this guide for your multimedia needs:

Phil Sexton: http://www.myspace.com/philsexton
Praise Whistlers Abroad: http://praisewhistlers.org/
Naomi's Fancy: http://www.naomisfancy.net/
Naomi's Fancy myspace: http://www.myspace.com/naomisfancy
The Old Bush: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy
Crossing Borders: http://cdbaby.com/cd/naomisfancy2
Naomi's Fancy Free tunes:
http://www.naomisfancy.net/modules.php?name=Downloads

Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Karl Larsen

Phil Sexton wrote:
> Anas wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Totem can't play video cd, (which is .mpg) what is the package
>> responsible for playing .mpg files
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

> I haven't found that Totem does anything much except producing error
> messages.
>
> Follow this guide for your multimedia needs:

Well another solution is to get VLC from apt-get and get the codex
needed for dvd movies and such and VLC will do all you ever wanted to do
with music and movies.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM
David Vincent

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Anas <anas.e87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Totem can't play video cd, (which is .mpg) what is the package
> responsible for playing .mpg files

Right, same here, but vlc plays the same vcd disk fine.

totem tells me there is no plugin to handle that kind of disk, but
doesn't suggest what if any plugin I need to install to make it work.

So to me if one app will play the media fine, I'll stick to it; there
doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to install totem media codec
files if vlc or gxine or mplayer will do the job.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 AM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM, David Vincent
<dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> 3. i always just install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package and then
> forget about playback problems because i simply don't have them. oh, a
> trip to medibuntu might be in order too for those pesky non-free w32codecs.

or w64codecs if you're amd64. That being said, are there 32-bit codecs
in w32codecs that aren't available in w64codecs? I want to keep at
minimum the amount of 32-bit software on the system, of course.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Dax Solomon Umaming

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 5:48:45 am Anas wrote:
> Totem can't play video cd, (which is .mpg) what is the package
> responsible for playing .mpg files

This was a known problem before and a bug report filed [1].

My workaround is to use GXine or Xine. There's a VCD0 option which I
use to play my VCDs.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/43589
--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://blog.knightlust.com/

Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
"Amichai Rotman"

I'd stick to MPlayer - the best and most versatile player ever!

Plays all media formats out of the box (installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras package doesn't hurt either)

You even have a fron end and a Firefox plug-in for it...

Cheers!

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html